2 in 1 laptop

Old Jul 29th 2018, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 in 1 laptop

Hi folks the Mrs would like a new 2 in 1 laptop thingy just for playing with (not gaming though) but not being tech savvy I would welcome any recommendations thanks. Budget circa $600
Old Jul 30th 2018, 1:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 in 1 laptop

I have the Microsoft Surface Pro. I got the outgoing i5/4GB model for under $900 (plus I got the GST back at TRS). I already had the optional keyboard and pen. Not within your budget but a great little machine that does everything I need. The new Surface Pro Go is about to be released that will be closer to your price point. There are some machines around the $600 mark but they will probably have underpowered Atom processors
Old Jul 30th 2018, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I have the Microsoft Surface Pro. I got the outgoing i5/4GB model for under $900 (plus I got the GST back at TRS). I already had the optional keyboard and pen. Not within your budget but a great little machine that does everything I need. The new Surface Pro Go is about to be released that will be closer to your price point. There are some machines around the $600 mark but they will probably have underpowered Atom processors
Thanks for that. I looked at surface pro and had I been needing a machine wouldve probably opted for something like that cos I like bells and whistles on things ! Budget can be increased but mostly she wants / needs something with an optional keyboard,near full size if possible (maybe to do some work on I guess ). Forgot to add over in Usa for the next couple of weeks so would there be better options out there do you know ?. ( Having read your posts over the years I know you like comparing items in different countries pricewise and I've not been to Usa for 12 years or so ) hence the reason for asking.
Thanks again
Old Jul 30th 2018, 2:53 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Hi folks the Mrs would like a new 2 in 1 laptop thingy just for playing with (not gaming though) but not being tech savvy I would welcome any recommendations thanks. Budget circa $600
As things stand you are hard pressed to find a decent laptop for that price, let alone a convertible. Thanks to apple overpricing, and others thinking they can do similar, things at that end tend to be anaemic at best.

You might find something in the EoL/refurb basis, eg https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/392340 or maybe in the chinese no names. Your issue is that windows needs more horsepower to work properly, and as a tablet it stinks.

Or otherwise I'd look to the chromebooks which are better targeted to that processor level, and should be able to run android apps.

It does depend on what you want to do with it.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 3:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I looked at surface pro and had I been needing a machine wouldve probably opted for something like that cos I like bells and whistles on things ! Budget can be increased but mostly she wants / needs something with an optional keyboard,near full size if possible (maybe to do some work on I guess ). Forgot to add over in Usa for the next couple of weeks so would there be better options out there do you know ?. ( Having read your posts over the years I know you like comparing items in different countries pricewise and I've not been to Usa for 12 years or so ) hence the reason for asking.
Thanks again
I love my Surface - I'm on my 3rd one now. I use it for most things - Office, internet, video. I've even run PDMS 3D modelling software on it (not fantastically, but it ran)

If you are going to the US then get it there (Best Buy, Walmart etc). I reckon the new Surface Go is what you are looking for. Saying that, if you shop around here and get some price-matching going, you might get a good price - and be able to claim the 10% GST back at TRS. I did on our recent trip to Japan

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 30th 2018 at 4:26 am.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 4:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

The Surface Go is due to be released this week
Old Jul 30th 2018, 4:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

$470 for a Chinese 2 in 1:
https://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/...ml?wid=1433363

Gets good reviews but a lot of these Chinese products can be a bit hit and miss
Old Jul 30th 2018, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is the sort of thing we/she were looking at recently

eBay

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/acer...-1-laptop.html

Many thx so far
Old Jul 30th 2018, 7:49 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

1.1Ghz Celeron processor with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of SD card for storage and OS.

Trying to run Win10, but only the S version (eg it's crippled).
Old Jul 30th 2018, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
1.1Ghz Celeron processor with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of SD card for storage and OS.

Trying to run Win10, but only the S version (eg it's crippled).
What would be minimum processor required .? As I said budget can be upgraded (although she might not want it to be )
Old Jul 30th 2018, 8:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

What would be minimum processor required .? As I said budget can be upgraded (although she might not want it to be )
​​​​​
I reckon an intel i5 is about right but it depends what you want to do with it - office, internet and a bit of video doesn't need a lot of grunt. Most of these kind of devices have no upgrade options so you are stuck with what you buy
Old Jul 30th 2018, 9:02 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

The question is more "what am I going to want to do with it"?

Win10 with that spec is going to hurt, fast. However something like a chromebook would be OK. If you were looking to play games, you'd need much more. If you were looking to watch media, then you can get away with a lot less as long as it has hardware decoding. Hell, much of this nowadays is dependent on the cloud and just how fast and voluminous your internet connection is.

How long is a piece of string?
Old Jul 30th 2018, 11:42 pm
Proudly Deplorable

The other option is to get a tablet and a separate Bluetooth keyboard and mouse

Could work out a bit cheaper - and if you are into Apple products, the new ipad looks okay
Old Jul 31st 2018, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Still nothing decided yet ,now looking into netbooks but thanks for directing me away from the inferior items fellas
Old Jul 31st 2018, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

LENOVO Yoga..??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.