Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

1st Offer on the house refused - Have I dont the right thing?

Wikiposts

1st Offer on the house refused - Have I dont the right thing?

Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:06 pm
Trainee Domestic Goddess

baglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st Offer on the house refused - Have I dont the right thing?

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Thanks mate..gone very silent again..left the ball in their court over 5 hours ago! They are either making me sweat or aren't interested...I promise I won't start asking have I done the right thing again! This time I shouldv'e known better!
Don't panic, if they don't go for it you can always go back to their last offer...but if you don't ask, you don't get. We were in a similar position and while we were waiting someone came back with the full asking price! So, fingers crossed!
Old Jun 15th 2006, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

I knew I shouldve taken it lol...they have today come back with a no, saying how they had looked on the land registry and houses were going for £20-£30k less in my area so it was overpriced....cheeky buggers! Anyways, I said I WOULD accept their offer and now they are making me wait again. How much do you want to bet they come back with a lower offer rather than just agreeing ? They better hadn't! One thing I will say about me is that I'm a stubborn old coot and quite regularly cut off my nose to spite my face so I will tell them to shove it again!
Old Jun 15th 2006, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

Maybe its best to wait for another buyer, also speak to your agent about comparibles in your area, he should be up to speed on these things. This sort of buyer is usually a nightmare, they will prob want more money off for things when they get the survey done, you should if possible have a contingency in your price for probs that arise after survey.

They are calling your bluff!! Dont drop anymore than you currently have unless you are desperate for a sale.

I hate the process, have done it a few times now so know what tactics are used.

Your agent needs to earn his money, give him a call and let him know your not happy with these negotiations, he is afterall acting on your behalf.Oh and don't take it off the market till after the survey is done if they accept your offer as you will waste valuable time if you're in a hurry and it all goes pear shaped.

Good luck!!
Old Jun 15th 2006, 1:13 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Well those of you following my progress will know that we finally got our visas last week yay! The house has been up for sale for about 3 weeks now and an offer was put in yesterday of £30k under the asking price! After I stopped laughing, I told the estate agent where they could stick it! A few hours later I got another call now offering £15k below the asking price and I again said no but I did drop £5k as a sign of good will. I haven't heard back from them since so It looks like they aren't interested. Did I do the right thing guys? All we are waiiting on is the sale of the house and we are off. Maybe I should have taken the offer? Advice would be appreciated as always!
Kelly x
I think you have done the right thing. To drop it by £5000 is enough but £30,000 or £15,000 is a bit cheeky.

Good luck with selling your house, I am sure it wont be long if you have already had offers after 3 weeks
Old Jun 15th 2006, 1:25 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it all depend on whether your house was over-valued to begin with. We went on at 250 to kind of test the market. The market said "you're having a giraffe mate", so we dropped to 240. It was remarketed by the agents at this new price, back in the paper etc and about four weeks later we got our first offer of 200. We laughed. They came back with 215. We laughed a bit more quietly. They came back with 220, we smirked. They came back with 225, we tried for 230, they made noises about 'another house' - we got the message and accepted 225. So, whatever we'd want, whatever other houses are going for and however much we'd like it - our house is worth 225, simple as. It's easy to slap a figure on a property and say 'this is what it's worth', but this should really only be looked on as a guide price, a starting point if you will, from which negotiations begin. If you can't afford to move unless the house sells for a certain amount then you'll just have to sit tight until the market agrees with your valuation. I would say, there was no way on earth we were letting our buyer go, because as others have said - you could turn it down and still be sat here in two years time waiting. A lot can happen in two years.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everyone...I AM DESPERATE to be able to move on now I know we can go!
I know already that if these people decide to buy then they will start demanding more off once we go through the whole survey rigmorole! Its more hassle than its worth! I really don't envy anyone going through this hassle. Me? I saw my house two years ago, I loved it straight away..Put in a reasonable offer(never less than 10k, that would be rude lol) , got accepted and bought the bloody thing..why can't everyone be like me and have a no nonsense approach to these things?? This bloke is beggining to wind me up now cos I can see exactly what he's up to. Hes playing every trick in the book, making me wait, putting in stupid offers, making me wait again...NOW coming back and saying its over priced! If I want "good morning price" as they say in Bali, I go to bloody Bali for it. I think I'm gonna tell this bloke thats where he should go as well if he wants to haggle!
Old Jun 15th 2006, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everyone...I AM DESPERATE to be able to move on now I know we can go!
I know already that if these people decide to buy then they will start demanding more off once we go through the whole survey rigmorole! Its more hassle than its worth! I really don't envy anyone going through this hassle. Me? I saw my house two years ago, I loved it straight away..Put in a reasonable offer(never less than 10k, that would be rude lol) , got accepted and bought the bloody thing..why can't everyone be like me and have a no nonsense approach to these things?? This bloke is beggining to wind me up now cos I can see exactly what he's up to. Hes playing every trick in the book, making me wait, putting in stupid offers, making me wait again...NOW coming back and saying its over priced! If I want "good morning price" as they say in Bali, I go to bloody Bali for it. I think I'm gonna tell this bloke thats where he should go as well if he wants to haggle!

I'd be tempted to say bugger off to him anyway. It does sound like it will be more hassle than it's worth and who knows you could get a really nice buyer in a couple of weeks or so.

If you do accept any offer from him, then tell him it's on the condition he puts a deposit down, that is non-refundable if he starts messing you about. Also tell him that you will be keeping it on the market unless he does. That way he may just see that you are not a push over (as that is what it sounds like he is thinking at the minute)
Old Jun 15th 2006, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

Lay it on the line and do not budge anymore, he is playing you girl!!!!

Definatley don't take it off the market if you do accept his offer and Wendy's idea of a non refundable deposit is a good one.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by milliesmum
Lay it on the line and do not budge anymore, he is playing you girl!!!!

Definatley don't take it off the market if you do accept his offer and Wendy's idea of a non refundable deposit is a good one.
Thats a really good idea actually..If he does come back I am going to say that it stays on the market until I get his deposit! YE! I'm all fired up now! Bring it on!!!
Old Jun 15th 2006, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a really good idea actually..If he does come back I am going to say that it stays on the market until I get his deposit! YE! I'm all fired up now! Bring it on!!!
That's the way

Go Girl !!
Old Jun 15th 2006, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Thats it Kelly, don't let it get to you, it will be no good in the end, I know your desperate to move but sit back and take your time, you don't want to cut your nose off to spite your face hey babe
Old Jun 15th 2006, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by milliesmum
Thats it Kelly, don't let it get to you, it will be no good in the end, I know your desperate to move but sit back and take your time, you don't want to cut your nose off to spite your face hey babe
I'll try to take deep breaths and "think" before I open my mouth Will keep you posted xxx
Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Right, I've sat here (inbetween the footy) and worked out I could actually manage to go to Oz without selling the house! Ok I would have to increase my mortgage AND go Interest only over 25 years. That would pay off some of my debt and give me about £7,000 to spare.I'd leave the house rented out which would just pay the mortgage repayments. Am I losing my marbles due to mounting pressure OR do you reckon it would be feasible to survive with £7000 for rent, food and living expenses until I get a job? I'm either being really thorough here or slowly but surely losing my marbles....not sure which yet? Help! :scared:
Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Right, I've sat here (inbetween the footy) and worked out I could actually manage to go to Oz without selling the house! Ok I would have to increase my mortgage AND go Interest only over 25 years. That would pay off some of my debt and give me about £7,000 to spare.I'd leave the house rented out which would just pay the mortgage repayments. Am I losing my marbles due to mounting pressure OR do you reckon it would be feasible to survive with £7000 for rent, food and living expenses until I get a job? I'm either being really thorough here or slowly but surely losing my marbles....not sure which yet? Help! :scared:

It depends on when you have to be there. If you've got a while then sit it out for a month or so and see how things go. But it's a good back up plan.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WendyC
It depends on when you have to be there. If you've got a while then sit it out for a month or so and see how things go. But it's a good back up plan.
I need to book soon Wendy.I have to leave by the middle of september or considering not leaving at all for another 2 years. hence the stress! mid sept is just under 3 months away without anything at all booked. I think I can only give it til the end of this month and then have to book flights and short term rental at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.