Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

1st interview in 13 years any tips please?

1st interview in 13 years any tips please?

Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

SurferBoy will become famous soon enoughSurferBoy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1st interview in 13 years any tips please?

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Top up your 'O' levels ... B's & the odd 'A' should do it.

Embelish everything you've ever done ...

Try a gangsta rapper handshake at the start of the interview.

Tell them you're 'only innit for the moolah' ...

Jobs a good 'un.

High Quality
Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:15 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Top up your 'O' levels ... B's & the odd 'A' should do it.

Embelish everything you've ever done ...

Try a gangsta rapper handshake at the start of the interview.

Tell them you're 'only innit for the moolah' ...

Jobs a good 'un.

Now i know whay you sweep the street's
Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:16 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burkins
Thanks for all the tips, especially the pants one! Having a bit of a nightmare as caught the kids colds and now have no voice! Hoping the mint choch chip ice cream will work the magic!
So what have you been doing the last 13 years ya lazy sod
Old Mar 27th 2009, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
As somebody more used to being on the other side of the table I would say yes do clean your shoes! And, men, it doesn't cost much to have your trousers (whether $100 or $1000) taken up to the right length and stops you looking like a hobo.
My advice - IF you are going to wear a suit, do it properly.

No 1. It must fit and be clean. There is nothing scruffier than a bad suit. Shirt - ensure collar is good cut (this is where the traditional English cuts do, in my opinion, outperfom many others) and not damaged or worn. The first thing I notice is bent collars or points too close together creating a cramped, uncomfortable, look. Shoes - clean (polished) and not crusty.

No 2 - Bearing and posture can improve a nastier suit.

No 3 (optional): No black suits, baggy suits, nasty collars, no polyester, no white socks, no obtuse cuts or styles which shout 'spiv'.

Having said that, I would also say controversially, that wearing a suit is not the be all and end all - industry dependant of course. You can be smarter in a nice shirt and trousers, than in a failed suit.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:27 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

No 1. It must fit and be clean. There is nothing scruffier than a bad suit. Shirt - ensure collar is good cut (this is where the traditional English cuts do, in my opinion, outperfom many others) and not damaged or worn. The first thing I notice is bent collars or points too close together creating a cramped, uncomfortable, look. Shoes - clean (polished) and not crusty.

No 3 (optional): No black suits, baggy suits, nasty collars, no polyester, no white socks, no obtuse cuts or styles which shout 'spiv'.

Having said that, I would also say controversially, that wearing a suit is not the be all and end all - industry dependant of course. You can be smarter in a nice shirt and trousers, than in a failed suit.
Badge,

You gotta explain this one...please

Dougie
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:48 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I think he means keep the Ted Baker suit 'til you get the job.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Badge,

You gotta explain this one...please

Dougie
Eh? I use it to mean a loud boy or pleb but the traditional use or origin might differ.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 6:50 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
As the job is at a hospital will have an HR dept and probably formal recruiting procedures which includes interviewing.
The method these days is competency based interviewing. They will have established what competencies they are looking for for the role/person.
To establish this the questions will typically be "closed" - that is not hypothetical. For example they wouldn't ask "What would you do if....." but "Can you give me an example of when....."
So think about the skills required for the job and examples you have from your past proving you have these skills. Even if they ask open questions, answering with examples is far more powerful that hypotheticals - anyone can give these but there is no substitute for experience.
Rubbish!! Alot of organisations now want you to do the "what if" hypothetical scenario and not answer direct questions. Personally I think this rather sucks, as anyone from outside the organisation WILL NOT know their procedures, policies etc. It rather disadvantages you from the start because that is what they score you on. In most interviews that I have been to, this is what has happened to me. I haven't been able to present examples to back up my claim to the position.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 6:52 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Sort of suit that you would wear to a wedding, Badge. A formal one that is, not one on the beachfront, just after you got off the plane?
Old Mar 28th 2009, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Seasider
I researched the organisation, I knew roughly what the questions would be - set questions for all interviewees based on selection criteria, they told me in advance, and I'd already submiited a thesis on those
That's what I've been told too, but the "scenario" questions, and that's what they are, have sometimes nothing whatsoever to do with the selection criteria on the role description. What I have found is that they are formatted in a way that is biased to internal applicants, and not those applicants that are external to the organisation. In fact, at my last interview, the panel had no relevant questions for me other than the 5 scenario questions, or wanted to gain further information from me about my skills and experience.
If I get another chance, I'll ask why they don't want to hear about my skills and experience, and just want to play hypotheticals.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:01 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair to my interviewers, they asked the set questions but let me ramble on and go off the point. They also asked me at the end, was there anything more I wanted to say about myself, and I was able to ask questions.

They asked me how I would do certain things relating to the job, but also about examples in my past that would show xyz.

One of the questions they asked me (also the first "essential" point on the selection criteria to which I had to submit a written response) related to a software package you'd only have heard of if you worked in one specific area of a specific sector, and I hadn't. I aproached this by researching the sofware as much as I was able - not much without a copy of it, TBH, but I ran an online demo - and comparing it to software I have used.

Generalising greatly here I know, but a huge part of your suitability for a role relates to personality and how you'd fit into the existing team, so don't get too hung up on technical aspects unless they're crucial to the job.

If you can do 100% of what they want with your eyes closed and one arm tied behind your back, do you really want the job?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
So what have you been doing the last 13 years ya lazy sod
Working my way up the ladder in a solicitors in the UK, then having maternity leave twice in 3 years before I went back for my bonus then handed my notice in to come to Australia! I was very popular!!!!!!!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 2:23 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burkins
Well had the interview today. First 30 minutes had to produce a flyer for a health promotions seminar then provide a detailed list of how I would organise the venue, getting people there etc.

Then 40 minute interview with 4 people asking me questions and all writing down my answers. Didn't really ask me questions about what I have done before really about situations I have been in.

After the interview was told not to expect to hear something until after Easter.... the waiting goes on.

It went ok but you can never tell, fingers crossed for the next 2 1/2 weeks.
good luck hope you get it

Possums ex Sheffielder