Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

11,700.... A League Football thread.

11,700.... A League Football thread.

Old Mar 16th 2012, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default 11,700.... A League Football thread.

I honestly believe that last night was a true watershed moment in the development of football in this country.

I've just endured probably the worst season of following football in my 45 years plus of going to live games... albeit with a 25 year gap when from 1980 to 2005 here in Aus.

It's been bleak, dire, boring, uninsipring, tedious, humiliating, disgraceful, and an abomination at times to go to Melbourne Victory this season. I've had to draw back on my 15 years of going in the UK to the very worst season that my old team had to keep the faith... because I knew it would eventually turn around... plus I felt I had some kind of duty to keep the football flag flying in this country. Well 11,700 other people on a rainy miserable night on a dead rubber match must have felt the same and we were richly rewarded last night with a 3-0 win.

That may seem unimportant to most people on here... But it's not because we at Melbourne Victory could have turned away and left the A leagues flag ship in ruins..

I'll repeat what I've said before... Most trends in this Country start in Melbourne and Football is really entrenched down here. There would have been 20,000 more MV fans sitting in front of their foxtel boxes spewing they wern't there last night. Anyone that was there would know what true atmosphere is like... to have that kind of feeling in a nothing game is unbeleivable.

Last night we proved absolutely that football is here to stay. In what was one of the greatest nights for football ever in this couuntry. We kept the faith and now will come the rewards.

Onwards and upwards for the beautful game.

See you next season A league We're back.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 8:42 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 11,700.... A League Football thread.

Melbourne is backwards and boring, like your football.
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I honestly believe that last night was a true watershed moment in the development of football in this country.

I've just endured probably the worst season of following football in my 45 years plus of going to live games... albeit with a 25 year gap when from 1980 to 2005 here in Aus.

It's been bleak, dire, boring, uninsipring, tedious, humiliating, disgraceful, and an abomination at times to go to Melbourne Victory this season. I've had to draw back on my 15 years of going in the UK to the very worst season that my old team had to keep the faith... because I knew it would eventually turn around... plus I felt I had some kind of duty to keep the football flag flying in this country. Well 11,700 other people on a rainy miserable night on a dead rubber match must have felt the same and we were richly rewarded last night with a 3-0 win.

That may seem unimportant to most people on here... But it's not because we at Melbourne Victory could have turned away and left the A leagues flag ship in ruins..

I'll repeat what I've said before... Most trends in this Country start in Melbourne and Football is really entrenched down here. There would have been 20,000 more MV fans sitting in front of their foxtel boxes spewing they wern't there last night. Anyone that was there would know what true atmosphere is like... to have that kind of feeling in a nothing game is unbeleivable.

Last night we proved absolutely that football is here to stay. In what was one of the greatest nights for football ever in this couuntry. We kept the faith and now will come the rewards.

Old Mar 17th 2012, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Enough about your love life, tell us about the football.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post mate... There is something magical bout standing on the terraces at the home end and just being there.... Never managed to get into footie on TV... Probably coz as a kid I spent half me life being told to sit down and shurrup during match of the day.....

Havent managed to get into the Glory yet... One of those things that I'm almost scared to do... i mean, how do you even begin to support a new team? How do you begin to barrack for a bunch of strangers when you have a 44 year history with your proper team??? (yup... 44 years... Taken to my first match aged six weeks old at Layer Road coz the parents couldnt find a baby sitter and NEITHER of them was going to miss the match)

It shouldnt be too hard.. Glory being the Col Utd of australian football... But its a step I'm almost afraid to take....

Where do you start????

Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Excellent post mate... There is something magical bout standing on the terraces at the home end and just being there.... Never managed to get into footie on TV... Probably coz as a kid I spent half me life being told to sit down and shurrup during match of the day.....

Havent managed to get into the Glory yet... One of those things that I'm almost scared to do... i mean, how do you even begin to support a new team? How do you begin to barrack for a bunch of strangers when you have a 44 year history with your proper team??? (yup... 44 years... Taken to my first match aged six weeks old at Layer Road coz the parents couldnt find a baby sitter and NEITHER of them was going to miss the match)

It shouldnt be too hard.. Glory being the Col Utd of australian football... But its a step I'm almost afraid to take....

Where do you start????
For me I started watching Australia games live. Thats when I realised I could go to a game here and enjoy the whole expience. Although I was lucky with that as my first experience was when Terry Veneables was the coach and creating lots of publicity for the Australian team for the first time in it's history. So my first proper non ethnic oriented game here was at the MCG in front of 90,000 people against Iran when Peter Hoare the serial pest ran on and disrupted the game. That game really rekindled my Football appetite which had became jaded after years of 2nd hand news at 3AM on a Sunday Morning..... I then realised how desperado that was... especially to a live game lover like myself.

Layer Rd to Perth Glory could be a very easy transistion IMO. If you can find anyone... preferably a GF to go with you and sit away from "The Shed" and just take in the whole experience. Two choices should become apparent after the 2nd or 3rd visit,. You'll either be desperate to join the Active support, or it will leave you cold. The Active support being the people that go and stand and make a noise and create the atmosphere... Most TV watchers dont realise how much of a participation sport Football really is. IE: The active support is actually participating in the game.

The Perth Active support (AKA the Shed) is one of the best in the Country. If you have a look at the faces in the crowd you'll see that they are quite mature... I'd guesstimate the average age to be somewhere between 28 to 40... I'd also add that at least 25 to 33pct of them are female.

Unlike their European counterparts there is a zero feeling of agression.. There isn't a chance in hell of anyone telling you to sit down and shut up at those Perth Games... in fact they'll most likely follow your lead.

So to sum up... Find a good freind that is willing to go, someone outgoing preferably... they dont even have to be into football as we've taken people along with us before and they've been totally blown away by the experience and realise it's a totally different dimension to any other sport viewing. We'd have a 100 pct conversion rate I'm proud to say.

The hardest part will be finding the right person to take along. I'd say you'll be hooked straight away.... Good luck and hope it happens

* Re the agression... For MVfans Adelaide away and to a lesser degree Sydney away can be rather tense. I'm told by MV fans that have been to Perth that they are so pleased to see people travel that distance to see the game that they get a plenty of free beers out of the experience... same happens in Wellington.

Just a quick note on MV's support.... Two active ends... North End = European style, almost ultra like.. lots of Ole's and flag waving and megaphone and obey the Capo etc etc and noise for most of the game.. Quite young and mostly male. Footage of them is used extensively to promote the A league. South End = UK style support... lots of different groups that come together... at least 33pct female... no rules to follow and quite mature... average age at least 33... most of erm half pissed... we are comfortable taking anyone any age to the South End which actually has more people in it than the more publicised North End. Away games are really intesting because these two very diverse groups merge.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 17th 2012 at 11:35 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

find a GF?????? To go with

Is that GIRL friend?

Do I look like the kindda girl who has GFs???

Jeez... I'll have to take HIM...

Cant wait for the SHED... Sounds like uk footie of the 70s to me....

Do they let you take in rook scarers? (thing you twirl round to make an awful racket that were banned in the uk some time after nanny state had finished feeding flavourless mush to us) I mean if you paint them in the right colours of course!!!
Old Mar 18th 2012, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

find a GF?????? To go with

Is that GIRL friend?

Do I look like the kindda girl who has GFs???

Jeez... I'll have to take HIM...

Cant wait for the SHED... Sounds like uk footie of the 70s to me....

Do they let you take in rook scarers? (thing you twirl round to make an awful racket that were banned in the uk some time after nanny state had finished feeding flavourless mush to us) I mean if you paint them in the right colours of course!!!
It definitely is like the 70's terraces and all.

As for the old rattles. I'm amazed you can remember those. I only saw those for a couple of seasons back in the late 60's... maybe things move a little slower at Colchester. I guess you had Rosettes as well ?
Old Mar 18th 2012, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It definitely is like the 70's terraces and all.

As for the old rattles. I'm amazed you can remember those. I only saw those for a couple of seasons back in the late 60's... maybe things move a little slower at Colchester. I guess you had Rosettes as well ?
It longer for them to ban them at layer road.. Mine was my grandfathers, passed down to my dad and then to me... wouldnt be allowed because of the lead blue and white paint no doubt today.... It ws well into the 80s before we werent allowed to take mine...
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I believe I went to every home game between 1968 and 1980.. Then I began to discover boys

In 1990 my season ticket holding days were ended...

Coz thats when kevin came along, and with N entire family of season ticket holders ... Including my Nanna and Poppa, parents and husband ...( i remember my nanna being allowed to sit in her wheelchair on the touchline near the tunnel entrance in her mid 90's.. I was DEAD jealous) some one had to stay home with the baby...

Still made it to important matches.. Or when I could afford a baby sitter...

i was there when we won the Whatney cup mate... All the BIG Col U matches... Used to get dragged to help clear snow off the pitch as a kid... We used to get to go to the big away matches too...when we could ... Favourite one was Derby away... Parents.. borrowed nextdoors red ford mustang to take us ... Our car wouldnt have made it....
Old Mar 18th 2012, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I believe I went to every home game between 1968 and 1980.. Then I began to discover boys

In 1990 my season ticket holding days were ended...

Coz thats when kevin came along, and with N entire family of season ticket holders ... Including my Nanna and Poppa, parents and husband ...( i remember my nanna being allowed to sit in her wheelchair on the touchline near the tunnel entrance in her mid 90's.. I was DEAD jealous) some one had to stay home with the baby...

Still made it to important matches.. Or when I could afford a baby sitter...

i was there when we won the Whatney cup mate... All the BIG Col U matches... Used to get dragged to help clear snow off the pitch as a kid... We used to get to go to the big away matches too...when we could ... Favourite one was Derby away... Parents.. borrowed nextdoors red ford mustang to take us ... Our car wouldnt have made it....
Reason I remember Colchester away is the trip back to M Keynes... I was so tired that whilst driving through Cambridge I ended up driving on the wrong side of a dual carriageway. You tend to remember life threatening moments like that.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reason I remember Colchester away is the trip back to M Keynes... I was so tired that whilst driving through Cambridge I ended up driving on the wrong side of a dual carriageway. You tend to remember life threatening moments like that.
Jeez.. Visiting layer road as an away fan wasnt danger enough for you?
Old Mar 18th 2012, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jeez.. Visiting layer road as an away fan wasnt danger enough for you?
Yeah those 10 terrace steps or so could be pretty daunting after a few beers.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:10 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Well Brisbanites! The time is here to support your team in numbers. It is now confirmed the Brisbane Roar home final V Central Coast Mariners IS Sat 31st Mar at 4.30pm. This is the first of two legs between the first and second placed teams in the league. Our games against CCM are always excellent games and for those of you who attended our finals games last season will know they are often filled with high-class drama!

Tickets go on sale to members on Monday and general sale on Tuesday. Make sure you get out and fill the stadium. Let's get behind our boys!!!!

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Mar 23rd 2012 at 1:26 am. Reason: wrong date
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 1:20 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
It is now confirmed the Brisbane Roar home final V Central Coast Mariners IS Sunday 1st April at 4.30pm.
Thought I read it was Saturday 31/03 at 16.30??????
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 1:26 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Thought I read it was Saturday 31/03 at 16.30??????
whoops, yes you are right. It is Sat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.