British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/100%25-totally-negative-about-aus-thread-573203/)

Hutch Nov 16th 2008 7:59 pm

Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Originally Posted by Exile (Post 6978342)
Seems like we are taking advantage of something that we're denouncing, or like to be seen to be denouncing. It did trouble me a bit while I was in Australia.

I always thought Amazulu's "white man came, fought with black man, white man won, get over it" attitude was more honest somehow, but I was never very comfortable with that either.

As someone who's Australian on my father's side (they weren't free settlers!) I'm taking advantage of nothing more than the chance to go home.

cresta57 Nov 16th 2008 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 6977975)
I've seen scotch eggs occasionally it's that they're not local.

I saw a Hozelock pump the other day and I was wondering if the fittings could be found as well. Have they recently arrived or have I not been looking hard enough? :)

I thought you were being facetious so didn't bother with an initial reply. You can buy the fittings your talking about from most hardware stores. I have a couple on our fire hoses just so I can change nozzles without getting wet, saves kinking the hose to change them.
Better to buy the brass ones than the cheap Chinese plastic ones.

MartinLuther Nov 16th 2008 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 6979491)
I thought you were being facetious so didn't bother with an initial reply. You can buy the fittings your talking about from most hardware stores. I have a couple on our fire hoses just so I can change nozzles without getting wet, saves kinking the hose to change them.
Better to buy the brass ones than the cheap Chinese plastic ones.

I've obviously not been looking hard enough. I'll get my leather jacket on and start looking again.

Cheers :thumbsup:

ABCDiamond Nov 16th 2008 10:09 pm

Power Cuts !!

According to the radio, Brisbane has just had the biggest storm in 20 years, and 230,000 houses went without power last night.

Our power went out some time around 5pm (I think) and didn't come back till about 8pm.
That's about the longest we have been without power. I have heard that some houses are still without power though.

I cooked dinner on the BBQ, and brought all the garden solar lights inside, to give us light :)

But with no computer, my daughter could not do her homework! (oops.. that's a positive in her eyes) ;)

northernbird Nov 16th 2008 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 6979790)
Power Cuts !!

According to the radio, Brisbane has just had the biggest storm in 20 years, and 230,000 houses went without power last night.

Our power went out some time around 5pm (I think) and didn't come back till about 8pm.
That's about the longest we have been without power. I have heard that some houses are still without power though.

I cooked dinner on the BBQ, and brought all the garden solar lights inside, to give us light :)

But with no computer, my daughter could not do her homework! (oops.. that's a positive in her eyes) ;)

That will teach her for leaving it till Sunday evening!

ABCDiamond Nov 16th 2008 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 6979795)
That will teach her for leaving it till Sunday evening!

I was tempted to say the same to her, but we let her go down the Gold Coast for the weekend with a school friend and her family, so maybe I should have ensured it was done first :unsure:

I am at the stage of allowing her the responsibility to look after these things herself, and face consequences if she doesn't do it. But without the power cut, she may have done it ?
She has however agreed that it may be best to do things earlier, in case of unexpected situations.
In the end, it was a good learning event for her :D

Hutch Nov 16th 2008 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 6979790)
Power Cuts !!

I'd consider a laptop. Even a power-hungry 'desktop replacement' should be able to go for about 2 hours on battery if you turn the wi-fi and bluetooth off. No Internet of course, but if it's an emergency, relocate with the laptop to McDonalds and use their Internet. :D

northernbird Nov 16th 2008 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 6979824)
I was tempted to say the same to her, but we let her go down the Gold Coast for the weekend with a school friend and her family, so maybe I should have ensured it was done first :unsure:

I am at the stage of allowing her the responsibility to look after these things herself, and face consequences if she doesn't do it. But without the power cut, she may have done it ?
She has however agreed that it may be best to do things earlier, in case of unexpected situations.
In the end, it was a good learning event for her :D

I haven't got room to comment really, I was always doing mine on the school bus on Monday morning :D

Grayling Nov 16th 2008 10:35 pm

What's wrong with pen and paper?

It's all I ever had:lol:

kporte Nov 16th 2008 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 6979842)

aye and a cup of cold poison for;) breakfast

Grayling Nov 16th 2008 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 6979846)
aye and a cup of cold poison for;) breakfast

Poison?

....luxury.

kporte Nov 16th 2008 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 6979855)
Poison?

....luxury.

:D

ABCDiamond Nov 16th 2008 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 6979842)

She had already done the pen and paper draft of the work, but it needed to be typed up for final presentation !! Not like my days at school :)

That is something that I find not too good here, where they get more points for final presentation.
So far it has cost me the price of a colour laser printer for her, so she gets even better marks.
Mind you, I have been thinking of checking that with the teacher :unsure:

ABCDiamond Nov 16th 2008 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6979831)
I'd consider a laptop. Even a power-hungry 'desktop replacement' should be able to go for about 2 hours on battery if you turn the wi-fi and bluetooth off. No Internet of course, but if it's an emergency, relocate with the laptop to McDonalds and use their Internet. :D

A laptop is a no-no. She will take it everywhere and probably lose it. She does keep asking for one though. Although I did quickly look at the one in ALDI this week, for $599.

And I am trying to wean her off McDonalds ;)

http://209.85.122.83/2500/169/0/e17817//e17817.gif A Manual Typewriter !!! :rofl:

Grayling Nov 16th 2008 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 6979880)
She had already done the pen and paper draft of the work, but it needed to be typed up for final presentation !! Not like my days at school :)

That is something that I find not too good here, where they get more points for final presentation.
So far it has cost me the price of a colour laser printer for her, so she gets even better marks.
Mind you, I have been thinking of checking that with the teacher :unsure:

I did my first degree in the time before PCs and word processors.

Everything was handwritten and all research had to be done by physically tracking down books and articles.

can't imagine how we managed then:ohmy:

G