Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Old Nov 15th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The 100% 'totally negative about Aus' thread

Aww, she really went to bed, poor thing all on her own.

Well it’s been fun, and I think people have to stop taking these threads so damn seriously! I don’t hate Australia, just prefer Europe.

Anyway, I’m off for me dinner (made from Coles food, not Tesco )

It’s been fun. Catch ya’s

Mikey
Old Nov 15th 2008, 8:16 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not, seriously, IN A VERY LONG TIME, laughed as much or as hard as I just did reading this thread!

eM X
Old Nov 15th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Spelling is crap.
Glad someone else has noticed - it drives me mad! I'm currently job hunting and I'm astounded at some of the primary-school level mistakes in spelling, grammar and especially punctuation in the job ads...

Last edited by Rainydaze; Nov 15th 2008 at 8:35 am. Reason: spelling mistake LOL LOL LOL
Old Nov 15th 2008, 8:50 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla
Well, join another website, this is British Expats, which means we are British Expats, which means we used to live in Britain, I think that's pretty self explanatory....

Pardon my stupidity, but could you please show me where it says anything on the site rules, terms etc, that you have to be an Briitish Expat to be a member of the site?
It's just that ccording to MikeyC, I'm not one of the sharpest tools in the shed..........
Old Nov 15th 2008, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bored-silly
There are several reasons i don't live in Australia, you are one of them.
The guy does not want to be in OZ period So what has that got to do with you not living in OZ....??//
Many people find OZ a bore perhaps they would go better in France or Spain?
Long may the critics speak their mind and if you like OZ same thing by all means say it loud.
Opinions can assist future people from where ever in the globe(not just Englanders)who chance on these threads an honest and alternative collection of views with regards to Australia and can be invaluable to others who can read varied views on the pros and cons of coming to this country.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Glad someone else has noticed - it drives me mad! I'm currently job hunting and I'm astounded at some of the primary-school level mistakes in spelling, grammar and especially punctuation in the job ads...
I've actually noticed more poor spelling in the UK than both Oz and the USA....it's actually quite frightening.

The use of apostrophes on this site is appalling.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

The use of apostrophes on this site is appalling.
Your absolutely correct!
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:07 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
I'm not, only the top bit of the Emerald Isle is part of the UK, I’m from the south

Know your history, by the time I was born the UK only had the top bit left. I still get the passport though

Mikey
So if you hate Britian that much why carry a British passport and not an Irish one?
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkMC
So if you hate Britian that much why carry a British passport and not an Irish one?
Where did I once ever say I hate Britian? I also have an Irish passport.... have 3, Irish, British and Australian.

Mikey
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:19 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

You don't have to be actually from the UK to be British; I have a British passport, which makes me a British citizen, which technically makes me British.... But I'm not from the UK, nor would I ever live there. It happens.
Just reading between the lines....
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Just reading between the lines....
I wouldn't live in the UK for the same reasons I wouldn't live in New Zealand or Spain or Sweden or China or UAE..... Like them for holidays but don’t personally appeal to me as a place to live/work etc.

Just because someone doesn’t want to live somewhere doesn’t mean they hate it.

Mikey
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
I wouldn't live in the UK for the same reasons I wouldn't live in New Zealand or Spain or Sweden or China or UAE..... Like them for holidays but don’t personally appeal to me as a place to live/work etc.

Just because someone doesn’t want to live somewhere doesn’t mean they hate it.

Mikey
Re: your signature ...

UK
http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news..._station_plan/
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/new...rack_for_2010/ (think that one looks pretty funky actually)
http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...l/article.html
http://www.regen.net/news/ByDiscipli.../login/862175/

Ireland
http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Li...led.4636182.jp
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...925653675.html
http://www.independent.ie/national-n...b-1520100.html
Nothing to do with trains - but made me laugh - http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Li...ent.4637874.jp

Conclusion - doesn't matter where you go in the world, people are liable to get excited about new train stations.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hutch
Re: your signature ...

Conclusion - doesn't matter where you go in the world, people are liable to get excited about new train stations.

Try not to take it too serious...... but in all fairness, Perth did have a competition for people to win tickets to be the first on the train, and they even made a TV program about it (it's not like a megastructure or anything). lol

Is it pick on Mikey day or something?

Mikey
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:47 am
His Excellency

fifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud of

I've lived and worked in the UK for a while, and I've lived in Sydney for a while as well.. So yeah I agree wit the list and make a few additions to that list

1. Ive found that aussies are rather rude compared to an average brit. They (Most or them) won't bother holdin the door for you.
2. They don't bother waitin for all the passengers who are leavin the train to exit, before they board the train. Even though you head the queue waiting to board after everyone exits, you'll notice people behind you tryna sneak through.
3. The (Sydney) trains are horrible, and you'd think the Virgin trains back home would qualify as 'first class' .. thats if they have one of course!
4. They dont sell ciggerettes as 10 packs, you've gotta buy 20 or 25! For people like me (I tend to smoke more when I know I won't run out of ciggerettes any time soon), its NEGATIVE!
5. Internet is more expensive!
6. Used Cars are COSTLIER, by some margin too! I bought a 96 Peugot 406 (single ownered and in excellent health) in the UK for only £320. The same car could easily be sommin over $3,000 in Australia.
7. Drinks are expensive too. E.G red bull is £1.20 in the UK even if you buy it off a vending machine! You can buy one for like 90p in ASDA. I think its $4.50 or there about in AUSTRALIA.
8. Public transport is crap. You sometimes have to weight hours for buses. Most routes they only have 2 or maximum 3 for the hour.
9. I haven't been driving in OZ as yet, But I've noticed that aussies dont flash the headlights to say 'I'll wait for you to drive through first so go on' .. and don't expect the other driver to acknowledge your generosity !

On a positive note howeever, Australia does have some positive points as well.

1. Petrol is cheaper
2. You dont pay for a TV License to watch TV
3. You earn more than what you would for the same job in UK
4. Australia is culturly much more diverse than Britain
5. There is tremandous scope for people who want to set up their own business.
6. Roads are MUCH wider than the UK

Last edited by fifty_pence; Nov 15th 2008 at 10:20 am. Reason: I forgot this one..
Old Nov 15th 2008, 10:05 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fifty_pence
1. Ive found that aussies are rather rude compared to an average brit. They (Most or them) won't bother holdin the door for you.
2. They don't bother waitin for all the passengers who are leavin the train to exit, before they board the train. Even though you head the queue waiting to board after everyone exits, you'll notice people behind you tryna sneak through.
These are both city issues and are no different to a commute in or around London. Travel outside Sydney and you'll find everyone chills out - same goes for London.

The (Sydney) trains are horrible, and you'd think the Virgin trains back home would qualify as 'first class' .. thats if they have one of course!
I agree. They're exactly the same as ones I travelled on when I lived in the states - very uncomfortable seats, no tables, toilets the like of which I haven't seen since I was in India.

They dont sell ciggerettes as 10 packs, you've gotta buy 20 or 25! For people like me (I tend to smoke more when I know I won't run out of ciggerettes any time soon), its NEGATIVE!
lol! Damned cigarette companies forcing you to smoke more!

Internet is more expensive!
No getting away from it - it is more expensive. And due to the size of the country and the costs involved in wiring up such an enormous infrastructure - likely to stay that way too. I'm just happy we get it at all.

6. Used Cars are COSTLIER, by some margin too! I bought a 96 Peugot 406 (single ownered and in excellent health) in the UK for only £320. The same car could easily be sommin over $3,000 in Australia.
This is disingenuous. Used cars hold their value far more than they do in the UK. So yes, you might have to spend $3000 on it, but when you come to sell it, you'll get a far greater percentage back than you would in the UK. The British market is flooded with cars and I can't see how the fact that your British automobile loses 40% of its face value every year, is a good thing!

7. Drinks are expensive too. E.G red bull is £1.20 in the UK even if you buy it off a vending machine! You can buy one for like 90p in ASDA. I think its $4.50 or there about in AUSTRALIA.
No mate - not 'Australia', but 'wherever you buy your Red Bull'. I'm just back from Coles - not the cheapest supermarket by some margin - and I just paid $2.56 (£1.13) for a can of Red Bull, or $8.90 for a four pack.

On a positive note howeever, Australia does have some positive points as well.
Glad to hear it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.