Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

10 years since last trip.

10 years since last trip.

Old Jan 29th 2016, 1:45 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 years since last trip.

Originally Posted by Beoz
Again that's the problem with the UK winters. There's not enough precipitation nor cold enough to make it a proper winter. Its jusy always overcast and bleak and cold enough to be annoying but not cold enough to snow.

Still great for rough shooting though

(which I may have mentioned before)

S
Old Jan 29th 2016, 1:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Still great for rough shooting though

(which I may have mentioned before)

S
Mr BEVS cousin is sometimes a beater for those shoots.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Wealth and poverty are relative....to try and claim that most people in the Uk are poor and that most in Australia are wealthy is simply nonsense.....it also Ignores the cost of living which is higher in Australia regardless of earnings.

Wealth is not evenly distributed in any society.

We get the message that Ozzie wants to live in Australia( although it sounds like he is trying to convince himself as much as anyone else) but to continuously big up Australia, and especially Melbourne, as some form of Utopia and the epitome of sophistication is over-egging the pudding a bit.

It takes more than a few poncey menus to make a city or country somewhere to aspire to live.
Living in melb I do think the cafe/food/rest/coffee/foodtruck thing is overdone. OK we get it, nice food, but you can only eat so often if you wish to maintain a slim waistline. Plus a lot of it is bloody overpriced to the max.

Cook more often than anything, we shop in a Vietnamese suburb, not the trendy markets, fresh food in their markets and independent shops is so cheap. Top quality fruit and veg and raw grains from the sack for a few dollars a day. Rarely spend more than $10 a day on home cooked food for 3 people. I am not going to pay $15 bucks then for a piece of avo toast in a cafe then.

I dont actually like the coffee here, you could be murdered for saying that but its always cold!! I like my coffee hot, boiling hot, strong as mud, and large. Tried dozens of places never hot, many places claim they can only serve it as a certain temp to meet health and safety.

Melb is a great city if your choice of cities is limited to Australia. If you could choose any city anywhere in the world there are many to rival it depending on what you want.

Fun for now though, UNI years not a bad place to be
Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Mr BEVS cousin is sometimes a beater for those shoots.

We rarely do driven shoots any more - Usually just a couple of us and a dog or two. But a bit of murky weather is perfect for it.

I don't really get this obsession with it having to be clear and sunny all the time. there are plenty of things to do in inclement weather.

S
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Living in melb I do think the cafe/food/rest/coffee/foodtruck thing is overdone. OK we get it, nice food, but you can only eat so often if you wish to maintain a slim waistline. Plus a lot of it is bloody overpriced to the max.

Cook more often than anything, we shop in a Vietnamese suburb, not the trendy markets, fresh food in their markets and independent shops is so cheap. Top quality fruit and veg and raw grains from the sack for a few dollars a day. Rarely spend more than $10 a day on home cooked food for 3 people. I am not going to pay $15 bucks then for a piece of avo toast in a cafe then.

I dont actually like the coffee here, you could be murdered for saying that but its always cold!! I like my coffee hot, boiling hot, strong as mud, and large. Tried dozens of places never hot, many places claim they can only serve it as a certain temp to meet health and safety.

Melb is a great city if your choice of cities is limited to Australia. If you could choose any city anywhere in the world there are many to rival it depending on what you want.

Fun for now though, UNI years not a bad place to be

Funnily enough Toast (French) was exactly what i had last tim...and your almost spot on with the pricing...but its a little bit different to what UK bods would expect from "Toast"....Poncified is probably a way one would expect a staid old fart to describe it...To me its what i expect...a suprise or adventure everytime i go to a new cafe....oh and the coffee..i think (not sure) That they serve/prep it cooler based on best flavour....or put another way serving it very hot is a lot like serving real ale at two degrees celsius.

Heres a pic of my 15$ toast... (banana bacon sherry syrup and local baked brioche)

On a tram right now to catch up with the wife as she finishes work at the royal melbourne......looking at the clouds the shirt idea may have been not so bright.
Attached Thumbnails 10 years since last trip.-20160126_130915.jpg  

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 29th 2016 at 4:34 am.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:44 am
`

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
We rarely do driven shoots any more - Usually just a couple of us and a dog or two. But a bit of murky weather is perfect for it.
I don't really get this obsession with it having to be clear and sunny all the time. there are plenty of things to do in inclement weather.
It was local to Wolverhampton . Jeremy Clarkson was there one time and quite often celebs. Not so much lord of the manor but still a shoot. I shall have to ask him where this was and if he still does it. I know he found it very interesting. Pal of mine here, her son is a gamekeeper but he is currently doing this in Romania.

ps. I don't get the sun thing either. Some sun is fine. Sunshine is lovely but not glaring blasting it down sun. There again that is just me.

Wouldn't want to ruin OzzieEagle's quality thread by going on about something we all will never agree on ----

The Flippin' Weather. lol

From the start this has been a great read and I hope it stays that way.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 29th 2016 at 4:51 am.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:48 am
`

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Heres a pic of my 15$ toast... (banana bacon sherry syrup and local baked brioche)

On a tram right now to catch up with the wife as she finishes work at the royal melbourne......looking at the clouds the shirt idea may have been not so bright.
Gawd. That looks fab. MrBEVS would be

I've never understood really what makes a good french toast. I've always thought it was egg soaked bread.

Had we not been of a certain age me and him would have given Melbourne a bit of a go. We really like what we saw when we were there .
Old Jan 29th 2016, 5:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough Toast (French) was exactly what i had last tim...and your almost spot on with the pricing...but its a little bit different to what UK bods would expect from "Toast"....Poncified is probably a way one would expect a staid old fart to describe it...To me its what i expect...a suprise or adventure everytime i go to a new cafe....oh and the coffee..i think (not sure) That they serve/prep it cooler based on best flavour....or put another way serving it very hot is a lot like serving real ale at two degrees celsius.

But Ozzie this kind of food in not special or new...it is mostly old hat in Europe and available in virtually any city....it is not unique to Melbourne or Australia.....even if you like to think it is.

.....and horror of horrors a lot of people couldn't give a **** about coffee.

Perhaps the Australian ought to learn to make a decent cup of tea or make and serve a decent pint of beer....then they may have got somewhere.

Last edited by Grayling; Jan 29th 2016 at 5:33 am.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 6:12 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Food and eating out is so much cheaper in the UK, and the quality is better.

Coffee in the UK is rank though, and if you make it too hot it burns and goes bitter.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Coffee best made at 90/95 C not boiling as that would ruin flavour.

But serving it at 60C is ridiculous, not even hot enough to extract the flavour, even if you ask for it hot is only 70C. Now I didnt go around with a thermometer but i have asked many times and the lukewarm thing is very common.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS

From the start this has been a great read and I hope it stays that way.
Yes great thread.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 6:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Food and eating out is so much cheaper in the UK, and the quality is better.

Coffee in the UK is rank though, and if you make it too hot it burns and goes bitter.
Nice to see you stranger.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
But Ozzie this kind of food in not special or new...it is mostly old hat in Europe and available in virtually any city....it is not unique to Melbourne or Australia.....even if you like to think it is.

.....and horror of horrors a lot of people couldn't give a **** about coffee.

Perhaps the Australian ought to learn to make a decent cup of tea or make and serve a decent pint of beer....then they may have got somewhere.
Tend to agree with most of that.... except Melburnians definitely care a lot about Coffee. I'm sure you can also get a decent pint of beer around the traps.

Tea though.... pretty woeful here generally speaking.... there are a few tearooms....now they are poncey

WB Fraser...
Old Jan 29th 2016, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Coffee best made at 90/95 C not boiling as that would ruin flavour.

But serving it at 60C is ridiculous, not even hot enough to extract the flavour, even if you ask for it hot is only 70C. Now I didnt go around with a thermometer but i have asked many times and the lukewarm thing is very common.
My wife has the same complaint.... as for me... I don't mind at all, just enjoy the flavour.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 7:21 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Nice to see you stranger.
Nice to see you too, and Eagle and Grayling

I detest tea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.