Wikiposts

1 Year on

Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1 Year on

Well we have been in Brisbane for 1 year now (well 13 months actually but as we spent a month in the UK for Christmas we have only really been here for 12 months!!).

We came out on a student visa (with me being the mature student!!), as so many do in the hope that once qualified we would be allowed to stay. We flew out of Manchester on a dreary January morning, which just happened to be my 40th birthday.........they do say life begins at 40!! Singapore Airlines were great and I even got a birthday cake mid flight, slightly embarrassing but very nice all the same.

We had prebooked an apartment in Spring Hill in the city and started the task of trying to find a suburb we all liked. We drove around for a few days but once we found the bayside suburb of Wellington Point we knew it was the place for us. We were lucky enough to find a rental and all looked good.

My husband still works in the UK for much of the time and the day he returned we discovered that he had been granted citizenship by descent on the 20th January, the day we flew out here.......meaning we could all get our PR visas as spouse and dependent children. This was such a relief as we weren't quite sure how we were going to finance evrything, but I do believe that if things are meant to work out they will.

We managed to purchase a new car on finance within 2 weeks of arriving and managed to furnish the house with the essentials for about 3500 pounds. The kids started school/college and then out of the blue homesickness set in (for me, the kids were fine). I decided that being apart from the family, particularly my husband, was too hard and I decided that we would return at Easter. Once the pressure of settling had been taken away and we moved rentals (hated the first) I settled so well and there is no way I would have gone back to the UK at Easter.

The rest of the year passed by uneventfully but as each day passed I felt happier and happier at being here. The Australian way of life suits us and I have found people to be friendly and helpful.

I feel very fortunate to be able to have the choice to live here.

Amanda
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:05 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1 Year on

Originally Posted by mand8002
Once the pressure of settling had been taken away and we moved rentals (hated the first) I settled so well and there is no way I would have gone back to the UK at Easter.

Great post, Amanda. We're so glad you didn't leave or we (and many others) wouldn't have been able to find the greatest Babyside babysitter!

Here's to many more years of happiness in Oz

Oh, and happy birthday too, Amanda!

Mrs JTL, ADL, and Coffee Bean
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:00 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

All the best - it does seem to be working out well!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news Amanda.

I remember how things were difficult for you at first so it's good to hear things have finally worked out.

Like ADL said, Vicky has also told me your daughter is a great babysitter and worth her weight in gold

Here's wishing you and yours many more happy years in Aus
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:53 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mand8002

Amanda
You and your wonderful family look great for it too! We're pleased you have all settled in so well and best wishes for the future.

Daren & MIchelle
Old Feb 12th 2006, 3:59 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that things have worked out for you. thanks for sharing!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:05 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Amanda.

I am glad you are enjoying the life here and feel settled.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:09 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

good gawd!!
have you been there a year already!!??????????

christ....i'll be 90 by the time we get a visa!!

good luck for the next year!

sue xx