Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

£1.35 a mile ? - tht's it i'm off !!

£1.35 a mile ? - tht's it i'm off !!

Old Dec 1st 2006, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry £1.35 a mile ? - tht's it i'm off !!

The final of all straws if this barmpot idea comes in !

£1-35 per mile to drive

Get me outta here !!
Old Dec 1st 2006, 12:34 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: £1.35 a mile ? - tht's it i'm off !!

hear hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by mindblower

£1-35 per mile to drive

Get me outta here !!
Old Dec 1st 2006, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

[Your right Dave - absolutely crazy - but hey the man at the top keeps gettin away with it.
angela
Old Dec 1st 2006, 2:38 pm
Tony Bryer

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:30:06 +0000 Mindblower wrote :
    > The final of all straws if this barmpot idea comes in !
    >
    > £1-35 per mile to drive
    >
    > Get me outta here !!

Melbourne already has some pay-to-drive roads, a tax on
city centre parking spaces and IIRC is looking to
introduce a London-style congestion charge.

--
Tony Bryer UK

Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: £1.35 a mile ? - tht's it i'm off !!

£1-35 per mile to drive

Get me outta here !!
Ah but if you come from one of the new member states can you get the dss to pay this for you ???? the same way they will provide you with a car.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

£1-35 per mile to drive

Get me outta here !!
Aye, and I'm in one of the areas that are trialling this hairbrained scheme, so I'm outta here big time.

Jazzys
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: £1.35 a mile ? - tht's it i'm off !!

[/quote]
Old Dec 1st 2006, 6:23 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

What makes me so bloody pissed off about it all is on the news they announced it as 'we now have to pay to use the roads' !!! WTF !!!!! We already pay for it !!!!!
How about petrol tax,road tax,insurance tax,mot (another form of tax) - and the're just the ones i can think of at the moment

Yours 'soon to get the hell out here'

SiB
Old Dec 1st 2006, 6:24 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Robbin' bastards
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 7:38 am
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

£1-35 per mile to drive

Get me outta here !!
Dont you think they know this rolls off the tongue figure of 1.35 per mile will get lots of angry response.....but just think how grateful you all will be when...instead of 1.35...they ask just 60p per mile.....ahhhhh big sigh of relief as you count the "savings"...until the next budget!

AND I will remind you that near Birmingham is a toll motorway..which they said would ease congestion and the time saved would offset the toll.
The toll road is virtually empty most of the day and thats why they need to tax you directly and they will make you pay to have the gizmo fitted to identify your car!

Welcome all you new europeans to our bright new world in the west!
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

£1-35 per mile to drive

Get me outta here !!
The Aussies in North Qld moan abt petrol being $1.10, abt 50p a litre. My insurance was abt third cheaper than Scotland. So as you can imagine
I'M LUUUVVVVIIIINNNN IT, LLLLLUUUUUUUVVVVVVVIIIIIIIINNNNNN IT
LLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIIINN NN IT
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 1:19 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: £1.35 a mile ? - tht's it i'm off !!

I can't understand why they don't just upgrade the road system. Goodness knows, it's long overdue; roads in the West Midlands are a complete joke; most of them are little more than glorified laneways.

As for "investing in public transport" - what a hoot! Outside London, all public transport is privatised AFAIK. Does the government now intend to give our hard-earned tax £ to these private companies? Aren't they supposed to be paying their own way? Wasn't that the idea of privatisation in the first place?

I do find this country very diffcult to understand sometimes.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I can't understand why they don't just upgrade the road system. Goodness knows, it's long overdue; roads in the West Midlands are a complete joke; most of them are little more than glorified laneways.

As for "investing in public transport" - what a hoot! Outside London, all public transport is privatised AFAIK. Does the government now intend to give our hard-earned tax £ to these private companies? Aren't they supposed to be paying their own way? Wasn't that the idea of privatisation in the first place?

I do find this country very diffcult to understand sometimes.
I think the buses are regulated in London but not elsewhere. I read the report by Rod Eddington (not all of it; give me a break it's 400 pages long...), and it's very general stuff at this stage. It does however recommend wheeling out very early pilot schemes to test the "road pricing" system. Also, I think some roads will be higher priced than others, so a motorway would be more expensive than a B road, etc.

The results will be as everyone has probably already worked out:

1. More revenue for government.

2. Empty motorways for the rich as no one else will be able to afford to drive on them.

3. Completely gridlocked towns and villages as people work out the cheapest roads to use, and go there in their millions.

4. Higher prices in shops as haulage companies recoup losses, so more revenue for the government.

5. Constant satellite surveillance of cars' locations and speeds, and therefore an enormous increase in fines levied, so more revenue for the government.

6. Cars without tracking boxes in them being driven illegally by the unscrupulous, for free.

7. It penalises the poor, and will do absolutely nothing to stop congestion or reduce emissions.

I think the £1.35 a mile is probably Daily Mail trouser-rattling, but the charges will increase massively, for sure - it's the only reason they're doing it. We have a dwindling tax base here and they need more money, fast. Where better to look than the motorist?

Even if it's only 2p a mile on the regular A road you use to go to work 20 miles away, that's 80p a day, which is £4.00 a week, which is £16 a month, which is £192 a year - and that's only your work miles remember, not visiting Auntie Flo. If it were 4p a mile on your A road, then you'd be looking at nearly £400 a year just to go to work. Also, chuck in £1 a litre fuel (like they'll ever bring that down) and you'd be better off unemployed.

Last edited by Tableland; Dec 2nd 2006 at 2:05 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 3:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: £1.35 a mile ? - tht's it i'm off !!

Originally Posted by tableland
I think the buses are regulated in London but not elsewhere. I read the report by Rod Eddington (not all of it; give me a break it's 400 pages long...), and it's very general stuff at this stage. It does however recommend wheeling out very early pilot schemes to test the "road pricing" system. Also, I think some roads will be higher priced than others, so a motorway would be more expensive than a B road, etc.

The results will be as everyone has probably already worked out:

1. More revenue for government.

2. Empty motorways for the rich as no one else will be able to afford to drive on them.

3. Completely gridlocked towns and villages as people work out the cheapest roads to use, and go there in their millions.

4. Higher prices in shops as haulage companies recoup losses, so more revenue for the government.

5. Constant satellite surveillance of cars' locations and speeds, and therefore an enormous increase in fines levied, so more revenue for the government.

6. Cars without tracking boxes in them being driven illegally by the unscrupulous, for free.

7. It penalises the poor, and will do absolutely nothing to stop congestion or reduce emissions.

I think the £1.35 a mile is probably Daily Mail trouser-rattling, but the charges will increase massively, for sure - it's the only reason they're doing it. We have a dwindling tax base here and they need more money, fast. Where better to look than the motorist?

Even if it's only 2p a mile on the regular A road you use to go to work 20 miles away, that's 80p a day, which is £4.00 a week, which is £16 a month, which is £192 a year - and that's only your work miles remember, not visiting Auntie Flo. If it were 4p a mile on your A road, then you'd be looking at nearly £400 a year just to go to work. Also, chuck in £1 a litre fuel (like they'll ever bring that down) and you'd be better off unemployed.
Karma sent.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede]I can't understand why they don't just upgrade the road system. QUOTE]

A little thought provoking stuff to tide you over till the Ashes start later today..if you a re in Oz!

I suppose most of us have forgotten that phase a few years ago where all two lane roads in most towns were reduced to one lane and/or "sleeping policemen" and lane blocking chicane's were created. "Traffic calming" was the buzz term. Then came .."We need to ease traffic congestion".

Lets see... A strip of two lane road say one mile long holds - say 500 vehicles. remove one lane and therefore room for 250 vehicles means you now need a road twice as long or 250 cars are in a longer queue! Rather than being "calming" it creates ill will, anger, bad and dangerous driving when the impatient race to fill the slightest gap.

In the meantime, TB not the illness ( although I find him a bit sick worthy) and his well paid cronies in free vehicles with drivers thrown in, decide to invade an oil rich country to remove a dictator...this having funded,( it is alleged in many newspapers) with the USA) Bin laden for years and provided most of the weapon system they have. This increases the price of petrol.
Whats this to do with UK roads..well having had the forsight to create congestion by reducing the amount of road miles available...you use more petrol sitting in queue's and now you pay more for it adding the tax revenue to...TB's fellow Scottish mate GB ( no not Getting Better more Going Barmy. Ever noticed how many Scots are in the English government? I reckon its revenge for Killing William Wallace)

Have you been to Perth? FREE buses are available. Not just for tourist's free for all users. This allows city workers to get into town at no cost and reduces their need or wish to use a car.
The UK "de-regulated" the bus and train systems to private owners...and prices went up. Inland Revenue and Customs & VAT will gain from these increases - you get nowt!
In Manchester recently there was gridlock in the city centre....too many cars ? No....too many buses ( most of them nearly empty) and not enough room for them to stop..so they had to double "park" while they loaded - unloaded and jammed the system!

AND whats really sad? Well most of these schemes dont emit from the limited brain power of a person voted into office simply because his/her leader was smart enough to spin nice sounding policies that were never put into operation - they come from civil servants, none elected employees of the government. Even Maggie agreed that TV's "Yes Prime Minister" was near to the truth!

And when they do put the tolls on and petrol prices go up again and again... you will still go out and use your 4 x 4 ..because its better than going on public transport, being mugged at knife point or if you are in London, confronted by our new EU free to enter the country beggers every ten yards.
Dont believe me...go to any tourist spot in London...but take some small change!

Bit of a rant that would not encourage the passage of Karma but I stand cap in hand....and getting post rant calmer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.