Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

[NSW] We are being watched

Wikiposts

[NSW] We are being watched

Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [NSW] We are being watched

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Just had out first inspection, no problems whatsoever, apart from:

We are renting a house from a family who are out of the country for 6 months visiting a sick relative. We have been told that the Owner has been on to the rental agent at least once a week asking for updates. He has called saying we are not cutting the lawn often enough, he is calling telling them we have had some friends round for dinner, and that the dogs are causing trouble, which they haven't.

You think people would have better things to do with their time, Kerry said from day 1 she wasn't comfortable with the way the neighbours seemed to watch us!!!!

Anyhow, we have now found out they want to return, so we are sure they are looking for an excuse to get rid of us!

You could :

1) Extend the fence to 9ft!!

2) Take a picture of a perfect lawn(windbledon?), enlarge it and place it on your lawn!

3) Put up a sign warning people of Nosey neighbours in the area!!

4) Get hold off some redbacks and scatter them onto your neighbour's garden and get some popcorn and enjoy the scene!

Or failing all above...Put a St George's flag on the neighbour's lawn! LOL!!

Sorry I don;t find your situation funny just the neighbours!!

Bunch of *******
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

i would do the sign thing for sure!!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Start chatting to the neighbours and then drop into the conversation that cupboards in the bedroom had a false back, and when it fell out you noticed all sorts of whips and chains and fetishy implements... tell the neighbours how shocked you were as you thought your Landlord was a normal run of the mill couple!

Em x
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Start chatting to the neighbours and then drop into the conversation that cupboards in the bedroom had a false back, and when it fell out you noticed all sorts of whips and chains and fetishy implements... tell the neighbours how shocked you were as you thought your Landlord was a normal run of the mill couple!

Em x
Hey Em, you sound like a pro!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

I have a rather machiavellian streak when pushed

Em x
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have a rather machiavellian streak when pushed

Em x
Hmm...I bet you have a cat on your lap right now, who you caressing slowly...
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

binnz10 will become famous soon enoughbinnz10 will become famous soon enough

Can someone tell me the link between redbacks and popcorn?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:05 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by binnz10
Can someone tell me the link between redbacks and popcorn?

Put the red backs on the lawn and sit back with pop corn and watch them get bitten cutting their lawn
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

binnz10 will become famous soon enoughbinnz10 will become famous soon enough

Put the red backs on the lawn and sit back with pop corn and watch them get bitten cutting their lawn
durhh, apologies from the dim one, penny drops now......had very strange visions of what was happening on this lawn
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:25 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Outstanding!

As a tenant (here) and a landlord (UK) I can see both sides of this pretty well. It's none of their business who you have over or what you do in that property providing you don't a) damage the property or b) cause offence to the neighbours through excessive noise, blocking the road, etc.

We do actually put a clause in the lease at home ours stating that the grass must be cut and the garden maintained and all the tenants agree to it. Did you have such a clause ? If not, tough boobs on them.

Personally if I had a loud barking dog in the next garden keeping me up all night I would complain to the council and consider tranquillisers in doggy biscuits lobbed over the fence if it didn't improve. However I'm sure that's not the case here. Out of interest we won't allow dogs in our UK rental for that exact reason, too much hassle.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Le Loup will become famous soon enough

Just had out first inspection, no problems whatsoever, apart from:

We are renting a house from a family who are out of the country for 6 months visiting a sick relative. We have been told that the Owner has been on to the rental agent at least once a week asking for updates. He has called saying we are not cutting the lawn often enough, he is calling telling them we have had some friends round for dinner, and that the dogs are causing trouble, which they haven't.

You think people would have better things to do with their time, Kerry said from day 1 she wasn't comfortable with the way the neighbours seemed to watch us!!!!

Anyhow, we have now found out they want to return, so we are sure they are looking for an excuse to get rid of us!
I daresay that they asked the neighbours to keep an eye on you, and wanting to look like good officient neighbours they are reporting every little thing. I would not worry about it, they cannot throw you out, no matter what, especially if you have no where else to go.
Regards, Le Loup.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:32 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Outstanding!

As a tenant (here) and a landlord (UK) I can see both sides of this pretty well. It's none of their business who you have over or what you do in that property providing you don't a) damage the property or b) cause offence to the neighbours through excessive noise, blocking the road, etc.

We do actually put a clause in the lease at home ours stating that the grass must be cut and the garden maintained and all the tenants agree to it. Did you have such a clause ? If not, tough boobs on them.

Personally if I had a loud barking dog in the next garden keeping me up all night I would complain to the council and consider tranquillisers in doggy biscuits lobbed over the fence if it didn't improve. However I'm sure that's not the case here. Out of interest we won't allow dogs in our UK rental for that exact reason, too much hassle.
We to our landlords in the uk, at the moment we have a no pets in the contract with the tenants as there was a new lawn put down just before we left (did not want dogs running on it til it had chance to get established). I will change this in the next few months as i have no problem with dogs or cats in the property if it is looked after. Our dogs don't bark all day they are very well behaved. Cooper will bark on command if asked.
The house was very dirty when we moved in the estate agent even commented on how clean it is now. I just feel very uncomfortable living here and being watch all the time by the neighbors, they spent nearly an hour yesterday stood on my drive watching the house. My neighbor back home keeps an eye on my property but not what the tenants do day to day, the only time she phoned was when they put a sky dish up and have drilled through the new pebble dash and a big piece has fell off causing damage to the house. If we had damaged this house then i would understand them watching us all day and night.(maybe there lives are that boring they have nothing better to do than watch us)
Well i wrote to the estate agent yesterday asking if we can break the lease and move out as soon as possible, just waiting to hear back from them.
I wish i was back home in my own house with my lovely old neighbors.

Kerry.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:58 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Kerry, I don't blame you for feeling uncomfortable. The stubborn bitch in me would think, stuff it, I'm staying, he won't get me out like this; the more sane side of me would say, life's too short to be unhappy - get out ASAP (as I said above to Mark).

We like our rental, or rather we love the location, the house 80% suits us, and would put up with the lack of space until we're ready to buy if it weren't for a couple of factors making us wonder if we should move on in April (1 year lease). One of those factors is one of our next-door neighbours.

According to the LL he's been here about 30 years and is a lovely bloke - well we moved in in May and he hasn't spoken a word to us. He's been in his back garden and looked the other way when I've gone into ours; he's walked past me when I've been sweeping the front patio and I've looked up smiling, thinking he can't possibly ignore me now. Wrong - put his head down and walked off. Maybe we should have knocked on the door and introduced ourselves when we moved in, I don't know - it's just not my style, seems like, "Tadah! Here we are!" Now the time for that is long past. I've seen so little of him I wouldn't even recognise him in the street.

I know he has issues with our cats and we do our best to contain them - one likes to sunbathe in his garden - but he's put up rusty, spikey wire fence all round. It looks dreadful and is very dangerous; we've knocked on his door a couple of times to try and apologise for them, offer to pay for some decent fencing, but if he was in he ignored us.

We can cope with being ignored - we're not big on being in and out of neighbours' houses - but it does make us a bit uncomfortable. The other neighbours are lovely and we keep checking that the cats are not annoying them; they say no, they love them! I know not everyone is a cat person but, honestly, my cats are not much trouble. The previous tenants had a dog and the patio doors are all scratched; my guess is it barked all day and we're paying the price for it annoying him.

All the above aside, my main problem is that we have a one storey house, his is two, and at least twice now he has walked across my roof! Hasn't even warned me, never mind asked me. Our bathroom has a skylight (as does our study) and I can tell you it's quite alarming to be sitting on the loo and see a strange man walk past.

I can also see his bedroom windows from there - it's not his fault that our landlord didn't think about all this when he renovated, but I can't even have a shower without feeling uncomfortable.

We're just not ready to buy, and I can't face the thought of moving what is now about a 30ft container load plus 3 cats again, into another rental.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

We to our landlords in the uk, at the moment we have a no pets in the contract with the tenants as there was a new lawn put down just before we left (did not want dogs running on it til it had chance to get established). I will change this in the next few months as i have no problem with dogs or cats in the property if it is looked after. Our dogs don't bark all day they are very well behaved. Cooper will bark on command if asked.
The house was very dirty when we moved in the estate agent even commented on how clean it is now. I just feel very uncomfortable living here and being watch all the time by the neighbors, they spent nearly an hour yesterday stood on my drive watching the house. My neighbor back home keeps an eye on my property but not what the tenants do day to day, the only time she phoned was when they put a sky dish up and have drilled through the new pebble dash and a big piece has fell off causing damage to the house. If we had damaged this house then i would understand them watching us all day and night.(maybe there lives are that boring they have nothing better to do than watch us)
Well i wrote to the estate agent yesterday asking if we can break the lease and move out as soon as possible, just waiting to hear back from them.
I wish i was back home in my own house with my lovely old neighbors.

Kerry.
Aww Kerry... ((hugs))

Out of interest, have you spoken to the neighbours ? or have they tried to speak to you in the past?

Just wondering

Em x
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:15 am
mmmmmm duff

Hi

Well our estate agent has spoken to the landlord and he has apologized for getting the neighbors to spy on us and said he will speak to them and get it stopped. The agent has told him the house is in perfect condition and the dogs have caused no problems and the rent is always paid in advance. So he should just leave us in peace.
We do speak to the neighbors when we see them.
Thanks for all the help and replies i just hope things get better.

Kerry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.