Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

*That* Prank By Ross & Brand

*That* Prank By Ross & Brand

Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *That* Prank By Ross & Brand

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter

Clearly by the number of complaints, the majority being from people who heard this crap, this was below acceptable standards.

The new style of comedy over the last 10 years has been to push the boundaries of acceptable standards. So more swearing where it would never have been allowed, they even let F**k with the f and k still audible on Radio 2.

Jonathan Ross is at once both the worst offender and the best proponent of this. When he is funny he is very very funny. But when it doesn't work he does come across as a rather offensive teenager.

Some others are just offensive, without the underlying potential wit of Jonathan Ross.

I'd prefer they kept the 'pushing the boundaries' bit to scripted stuff, and were just naturally witty the rest of the time.

(I'll go get my cardy and slippers now, and put on a bit of Val Doonican)

JTL
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:06 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattW82
The granddaughter is a burlesque dancer in a group called the Satanic Sluts. Do you really think that the revelation that she's slept with some guy is going to be that much of a surprise or indeed any more humiliating?
Indeed. She seems to now be taking the moral high ground. However she has made no mention of some , err, acting she may have done in the past. I would hazard a guess that grandpa would be more upset about that. It was mean what they did but she hasnt a leg to stand on.

ps - if you google hard enough you will find some stills from the "movies" I alluded to. Rather hardcore stuff. not that I googled or anything. Someone told me about them ...honest
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:52 pm
I'm no dog

poppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nice

Russell Brand is known for "pushing the boundaries" and being extremely unpredictable, you either love or hate his humour. That is what he does. Jonathan Ross? Not that funny, but hey, he gets a lot of viewers/listeners.
I think the producers should have shelved the show. It wasn't live, so they did have that choice.
As for Sachs & his grandaughter? Well, hasn't Grandad got his grandaughter a whole lot of publicity? More than Satanic Sluts ever had
And for the record, she's actually admitted that she DID s*%g Love Muscle Russell, & done a big newspaper interview giving all the gory details
Bet Grandad loved reading that!
Watch this space: what will she do next? But it'll be thanks to this "circus" that she got the "job"!
Brand? He'll go to ITV or Channel 4.........
Ross? Who cares?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Location: West Sussex till end of 2009- then somewhere sunnier
john& becky is an unknown quantity at this point

And I'm currently watching Russell Brands Ponderland on Sky+ and its as funny as ever.

Sorry killjoys.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
Clearly these guys have crossed the line (how often to we hear that these days?) in an attempt to be funny, and must now face the consequences

However, regardless of what you think of these two characters (I personally think they're *usually* exceptionally funny and intelligent), I found Brand's apology refreshingly sincere, honest and humble

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/vid...sky-news-video

Do you have any thoughts or do you basically not give a toss?
As funny as the mumps.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

Excellent column on the whole debacle:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-russell-brand

So it's here at last. The dawn of the dumb has broken in earnest. Two mistakes occur - first Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross overstep the mark with an ill-advised bit of juvenilia, then someone decides to broadcast it. Two listeners complained, but that's by the by: it shouldn't have gone out. But then the Daily Mail - not so much a newspaper as an idiot's guidebook issued in bite-size daily instalments - uses the incident as the starting point for a full-blown moral crusade. Suddenly everyone's complaining, whether they heard the broadcast or not, largely on the basis of hysterical, boggle-eyed descriptions of what the pair said. Poor Andrew Sachs, who, having been wronged, graciously accepted their apologies and called for everybody to move on, looked bewildered by the sheer number of cameras stuck in his face. Because, by then, apologies weren't enough.
The column pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

The arguement of her having this dubious erm career may mean it makes here fair game in some peoples' eyes (though not mine). However, carry this forward and explain where her grandad fits into this, ie, why is it relevant that he is contacted - because he is 'famous'. This was using his as a prop for a completely unfunny gag.

Yeh I know that i'm an old fogey, but I do think that as has been said before, we do have the right to complain as we are paying for a 'service' which is rapidly going downhill and trying to compete with Channel 4 et al. It's just that this incident has galvanised people to say that enough is enough and it's not 100% to do with the show. This really is lazy TV and the sooner they get back to interesting and intelligent stuff the better.

I'm glad it's backfired and that some good has come out of it - Brand has gone (creepy bugger he is).
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
The arguement of her having this dubious erm career may mean it makes here fair game in some peoples' eyes (though not mine). However, carry this forward and explain where her grandad fits into this, ie, why is it relevant that he is contacted - because he is 'famous'. This was using his as a prop for a completely unfunny gag.
See, this is what gets me. You're complaining about the incident yet you've not heard it nor have you any idea what actually happened. For your info, the reason that Andrew Sachs was contacted wasn't anything to do with the granddaughter, it was because he was supposed to have been interviewed for the show but couldn't make it. Brand was leaving a message on his answering machine and Ross made the ill-advised comment about Brand having slept with the granddaughter. It escalated from there and yes, frankly, it got out of hand. It in no way deserved the crazed media attention that has been lavished on the whole debacle though.

Yeh I know that i'm an old fogey, but I do think that as has been said before, we do have the right to complain as we are paying for a 'service' which is rapidly going downhill and trying to compete with Channel 4 et al. It's just that this incident has galvanised people to say that enough is enough and it's not 100% to do with the show. This really is lazy TV and the sooner they get back to interesting and intelligent stuff the better.
TV?! IT WAS A RADIO SHOW! I wonder how many of the complaints put in are from people in a similar situation to yourself, ie have absolutely no idea what happened nor the circumstances surrounding it but have decided to jump on the media 'decency' bandwagon.

I'm glad it's backfired and that some good has come out of it - Brand has gone (creepy bugger he is).
Gone where? Oh, yeah, to one of his many other shows. I'm sure he's really upset.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:56 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Boundaries have been pushed too far and in this day and age everybody's scared to make a stand against offensive behaviour for fear of being called a prude or tarred with the Mary Whitehouse brush.

The hue and cry may have been ott and people have jumped on the bandwagon, (doesn't that happen all the time when an issue which seems popular gains momentum?). I'm glad that both Cameron and Brown have both spoken out publicly against such vulgarity masquarading as humour and the radio 2 controller from the BBC who sanctioned this cruel, unfunny joke has been sacked.

It would be nice if this marked a watershed for bad standards on the BBC but I won't hold my breath. Oh and credit to the Daily Mail for bringing this unpleasant episode into the public domain so that the silent majority's view (who have no choice but to pay the BBC license fee so that Ross can receive his obscene salary) can be heard.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Location: West Sussex till end of 2009- then somewhere sunnier
john& becky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Assegai
Boundaries have been pushed too far and in this day and age everybody's scared to make a stand against offensive behaviour for fear of being called a prude or tarred with the Mary Whitehouse brush.

The hue and cry may have been ott and people have jumped on the bandwagon, (doesn't that happen all the time when an issue which seems popular gains momentum?). I'm glad that both Cameron and Brown have both spoken out publicly against such vulgarity masquarading as humour and the radio 2 controller from the BBC who sanctioned this cruel, unfunny joke has been sacked.

It would be nice if this marked a watershed for bad standards on the BBC but I won't hold my breath. Oh and credit to the Daily Mail for bringing this unpleasant episode into the public domain so that the silent majority's view (who have no choice but to pay the BBC license fee so that Ross can receive his obscene salary) can be heard.
Once again an uneducated ill informed rant that has no bearing on reality nor a grounding in fact.
Cameron and Brown are politicians and I think they have bigger fish to fry. If they don't then neither of them should be in office.
The Radio 2 controller who sanctioned this joke? The radio 2 controller, universally acknowledged as the best in a generation fell on her sword, and was not sacked.
The Daily Mail is nothing but a soapbox for the middle classes that obviously would rather listen to Brucie on Saturday night tv. The same people who probably thought Ben Elton a bit too risque and the very same ones who decided Monty Python was far too vulgar.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

This puts paid to a few myths:
  • British entertainment is always classy entertainment.
  • British humour is always funny.
  • The British government always discusses serious issues.
  • British journalism is the best in the world.
  • The high-brow quality of public debate in Britain.

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 11:55 pm
I'm no dog

poppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nice

Originally Posted by MattW82
See, this is what gets me. You're complaining about the incident yet you've not heard it nor have you any idea what actually happened. For your info, the reason that Andrew Sachs was contacted wasn't anything to do with the granddaughter, it was because he was supposed to have been interviewed for the show but couldn't make it. Brand was leaving a message on his answering machine and Ross made the ill-advised comment about Brand having slept with the granddaughter. It escalated from there and yes, frankly, it got out of hand. It in no way deserved the crazed media attention that has been lavished on the whole debacle though.

TV?! IT WAS A RADIO SHOW! I wonder how many of the complaints put in are from people in a similar situation to yourself, ie have absolutely no idea what happened nor the circumstances surrounding it but have decided to jump on the media 'decency' bandwagon.

Gone where? Oh, yeah, to one of his many other shows. I'm sure he's really upset.
Absolutely agree
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:13 am
I'm no dog

Why a cruel and unfunny joke?
Yes, the phone message was meant to be a funny joke.....they got carried away & let it slip that Russell had done the deed with his grandaughter.....Guess what? He had! A couple of days later she was giving her story, as I've said before - best publicity she & grandad have had in years.
I think the PM & co have far more they should be worrying about, don't you?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:21 am
I'm no dog

And, I certainly don't think people are scared of making a stand for fear of being a prude - I think most people see/hear (radio show, after all) things as they are. If they don't like it they switch it off. You underestimate people.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:47 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by poppie
And, I certainly don't think people are scared of making a stand for fear of being a prude - I think most people see/hear (radio show, after all) things as they are. If they don't like it they switch it off. You underestimate people.
Two replies to my post, I am honoured.

Switching off the tele/radio and making a public stand against something they deem offensive are 2 different things.

As for the publicity, yeah right. I'm sure at 78 Andrew Sachs really wanted and needed such publicity. And yes his granddaughter (who I have limited sympathy for) may have been a "slut" but that doesn't mean that Sachs deserved to be humiliated by these two cretins on the basis of his granddaughters behaviour. And just because a woman may have slept with another person it doesn't mean she wants it broadcast to the nation.

Do you think Jonathan Ross or his daughter would be proud of the fact if some "comedian" and a broadcaster were to publicise her sexual behaviour over the airways on the basis that it gave them great publicity.

As for the PM and Leader of the Opposition, I think it beholds them to speak out about standards in public life and let it be known when the boundaries of decency have been breached.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.