Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

*That* Prank By Ross & Brand

*That* Prank By Ross & Brand

Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *That* Prank By Ross & Brand

Originally Posted by tictac
I hear Kofi Annan's none too chuffed either

I'm obviously missing something but just out of interest, how long has Andrew Sachs been 'lovable'? He played one Spanish bumbling twit 30 odd years ago. (OK he's done other stuff but no one remembers any of it). Has he suddenly become the Queen Mother or something? Is he untouchable? Did he not know about his granddaughter? Whilst I don't condone what they did, she surely puts herself up for such stuff by doing what she does in a group called Satanic Sluts - because that's tasteful
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:19 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20

I'm obviously missing something but just out of interest, how long has Andrew Sachs been 'lovable'? He played one Spanish bumbling twit 30 odd years ago. (OK he's done other stuff but no one remembers any of it). Has he suddenly become the Queen Mother or something? Is he untouchable? Did he not know about his granddaughter? Whilst I don't condone what they did, she surely puts herself up for such stuff by doing what she does in a group called Satanic Sluts - because that's tasteful
Maybe he is embaressed by his granddaughters job and the whole issue brought everything very public. Most people probally never heard of the girl until now.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
Maybe he is embaressed by his granddaughters job and the whole issue brought everything very public. Most people probally never heard of the girl until now.
Could be she's embarrassed for people to know her grandfather was Manuel? Now it's out in the open
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:26 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Could be she's embarrassed for people to know her grandfather was Manuel? Now it's out in the open
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:27 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Geez, maybe i'm missing something too.

In my opinion it has nothing to do with WHO her grandfather is, nor what job she does. (bloody hell, i cant believe being a dancer or whatever she is, downgrades her from being entitled to bog standard respect like everyone else what century are we in?? )
Why does she put herself up to have her grandfather phoned up and told Russell Brand is *****ing her???
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

In my opinion it has nothing to do with WHO her grandfather is, nor what job she does. (bloody hell, i cant believe being a dancer or whatever she is, downgrades her from being entitled to bog standard respect like everyone else what century are we in?? )
Why does she put herself up to have her grandfather phoned up and told Russell Brand is *****ing her???
This is what I was saying, that's where they crossed the line.

But also why do they have to broadcast who they are getting their legs over with anyway. Who cares?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

She doesn't put herself up for it but school boys obviously thought it 'amusing' to wind Manuel up about his granddaughter being a 'slut'. Everyone's entitled to respect, the problem is that some people don't know how to give it. Not convinced it's a 'century' thing either. Knocking people down has been happening since the dawn of ages, the media is just more all encompassing and 24/7 now so it's more obvious.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: West Sussex till end of 2009- then somewhere sunnier
john& becky is an unknown quantity at this point

Saying she deserves it because she's a burlesque dancer is like deserving rape because she was wearing a short skirt.

However, that said, I can't believe how totally out of proportion this has got, when it was played on air there were 100 complaints, after it was reported by the press the number escalates to over 10,000. Thats crap in my view and totally unsupportive of the BBC. If all comedy was kept within the accepted boundaries there would be no innovation and we'd still have Brucie labouring through lame set up unfunny gags on a Saturday night. Oh, hang on..................
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by john& becky
Saying she deserves it because she's a burlesque dancer is like deserving rape because she was wearing a short skirt.

However, that said, I can't believe how totally out of proportion this has got, when it was played on air there were 100 complaints, after it was reported by the press the number escalates to over 10,000. Thats crap in my view and totally unsupportive of the BBC. If all comedy was kept within the accepted boundaries there would be no innovation and we'd still have Brucie labouring through lame set up unfunny gags on a Saturday night. Oh, hang on..................
It was reported in the Daily Mail then there were hundreds of complaints. That made me laugh.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:43 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

She doesn't put herself up for it but school boys obviously thought it 'amusing' to wind Manuel up about his granddaughter being a 'slut'. Everyone's entitled to respect, the problem is that some people don't know how to give it. Not convinced it's a 'century' thing either. Knocking people down has been happening since the dawn of ages, the media is just more all encompassing and 24/7 now so it's more obvious.

Hi MP

I usually love Jonathan Ross but remain unconvinced of the 'talent' of Russell Brand. I do think it really rather sad that anyone would phone up any relative of anyone to tell them that some random, pretty unfunny person was shagging their relative.

I think to all of the grandparents I know and fail to consider anyone of them not be really distressed by something like this.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:44 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

You said in your previous post that she does put herself up for it doing the job she does

Take out a mildly famous old man, replace it with your grandad.
Put you at a younger age in her place.
Replace Brand and Ross with non famous men.

Then be at the receiving end of 3 repeated phone calls of this nature.
What have you got?
Grounds for ringing the police for menacing or harrassing phone calls i would say.
Just because they did it in front of an audience and to well known people doesnt make it funny, acceptable, or legal actually!!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

You said in your previous post that she does put herself up for it doing the job she does

Take out a mildly famous old man, replace it with your grandad.
Put you at a younger age in her place.
Replace Brand and Ross with non famous men.

Then be at the receiving end of 3 repeated phone calls of this nature.
What have you got?
Grounds for ringing the police for menacing or harrassing phone calls i would say.
Just because they did it in front of an audience and to well known people doesnt make it funny, acceptable, or legal actually!!
Had it been my grandad (he's dead by the way), and me (I'd never have joined a group called Satanic Sluts) no one would have said a word. The school boys did it (misguided humour) because they know Andrew Sachs and because Brand has a reputation for sleeping with anything (apparently).

Were I younger, in a group called Satanic Sluts and my grandfather was still alive and someone did that, I would consider that they were morons and my grandfather would have thought the same.

What I meant (and kind of said) was that by being in a group called Satanic Sluts she had to be open to slut jokes - that is presumably why they called themselves that - to garner publicity.

It has everything to do with who her grandfather is. Had he been Mr Joe Public, the school boys would not have played the 'joke'. He didn't even hear the messages clearly anyway and has accepted the apologies. It's everyone else who's made it more than it is. Including all of us talking about it on this thread.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

The fact that there were so many complaints by people who didn't hear the show is perfectly understandable given that everyone in the UK has to pay £150 a year in licence fees to fund their shows amongst other content. We don't have any choice about paying the fee so why should people not be able to complain, if they feel it is warranted, even if they didn't hear it when it was first broadcast?

In my mind it is not the fact that the programme was broadcast that was the problem but that it happened in the first place. It is not entertainment to phone someone up and leave stupid messages on their answer phone. If Andrew Sachs had been in the studio with them then it wouldn't have been such a big deal. The fact is that they intruded into his personal life, left puerile messages on his personal answerphone about his family and they thought this was funny. Even their joint "apology" had a nasty bullying tone to it.

The fact is that they thought they could get away with it and they didn't.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:49 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Flutterby
The fact that there were so many complaints by people who didn't hear the show is perfectly understandable given that everyone in the UK has to pay £150 a year in licence fees to fund their shows amongst other content. We don't have any choice about paying the fee so why should people not be able to complain, if they feel it is warranted, even if they didn't hear it when it was first broadcast?

In my mind it is not the fact that the programme was broadcast that was the problem but that it happened in the first place. It is not entertainment to phone someone up and leave stupid messages on their answer phone. If Andrew Sachs had been in the studio with them then it wouldn't have been such a big deal. The fact is that they intruded into his personal life, left puerile messages on his personal answerphone about his family and they thought this was funny. Even their joint "apology" had a nasty bullying tone to it.

The fact is that they thought they could get away with it and they didn't.

Thank you. My point exactly.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

This whole saga is a complete joke. The media have whipped it up into a complete frenzy when really, it wasn't that big a deal at all. It was prank that simply went too far. It wasn't malicious in nature yet the fallout from it would make it seem like the most horrendous thing ever to have occured. It isn't.

The fact that only 2 complaints were received when the show was aired, and they were on the grounds of language, not content, speaks volumes. The only reason that so many complaints have now come forward is that there are lots of people who don't like Ross and/or Brand who fancy jumping on the bandwagon.

Regarding action taken towards the pair now, the BBC have to be seen to be doing something hence the suspension. Brand resigning has stopped BBC having to consider his position any further, though I doubt they'd have sacked him. I'd also be extremely surprised were they to go farther and sack Ross though as he's just too big a draw for the channel. If they did sack him he'd just turn up on ITV or another channel and they'd lose out in the ratings anyway.

All in all the reaction to the whole affair has been completely pathetic and the sooner it's over and done with, suspensions fully served etc the better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.