working independent

Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Leenah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default working independent

Hello everybody!
I´ m new in this forum, and I would be very happy if someone can give me informations about independence working in Barbados…
I have heard that I would have to employ 2 or 3 local persons when starting an independent work …

1.) Is it possible to work independent in Barbados, without employing anyone, when my business is so small?
I would practice human kinethics and rent a room for working with clients.
So it wouldn´ t make sense to me employing anyone else, and I´d have no idea what kind of work these employees could do?! Overall, starting a new business takes time and patience, and I suggest I´d not even be able to pay for an employee in the beginning...

2)
As far as I´ m aware, I could get an immigration visa when I can proof adequate means of supporting myself during the first year.
Would I also need working permission for my plans? Or is it already included in the immigration visa?

Thanks a lot for advice !!!
leenah
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:17 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working independent

I think what you mean by working independent is what we call Self Employed or Small Business

I have no idea what Human Kinetics are other than what i just looked up on line but even that doesnt explain it however if its anythign like osteopath etc then you have to apply for a licence to trade. Not sure if thats the same as a work permit- hopefully someone else will be able to tell you.

The whole point you have to prove you can support yourself is that you are NOT ALLOWED to work so no visa other than a work permit would cover that.

Im sure others will contribute to this post but hope this starts you off..
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

RAZZMATAZZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leenah
Hello everybody!
I´ m new in this forum, and I would be very happy if someone can give me informations about independence working in Barbados…
I have heard that I would have to employ 2 or 3 local persons when starting an independent work …

1.) Is it possible to work independent in Barbados, without employing anyone, when my business is so small?
I would practice human kinethics and rent a room for working with clients.
So it wouldn´ t make sense to me employing anyone else, and I´d have no idea what kind of work these employees could do?! Overall, starting a new business takes time and patience, and I suggest I´d not even be able to pay for an employee in the beginning...

2)
As far as I´ m aware, I could get an immigration visa when I can proof adequate means of supporting myself during the first year.
Would I also need working permission for my plans? Or is it already included in the immigration visa?

Thanks a lot for advice !!!
leenah
Leenah,
Assuming that you have done some research regarding a potential customer base(I am not familiar with the term 'human kinethics' ),it is possible, through a lawyer, to set up an incorporated company and apply for a work permit for yourself as ostensibly being an employee of the company.In other words,the company must apply for the permit on your behalf. This is going to be a lengthy and not inexpensive process,requiring proof that a local could not fill the position (part of the requirement I believe necessitates placing advertisements in the local paper for a certain amount of time).
Either way,as stated, it will be a lengthy process,as I am sure that immigration will not be able to give you an accurate time scale. The whole process will not be achievable from Austria;and as you stated that you would not be able initially to employ even one person,have you considered the general costs you will incur over possibly several months of waiting(lodging,food,transport etc),not to mention the probability of frequent trips to immigration (take a packed lunch) for extension visas.
Not to dishearten you,but just a few realistic points to consider before embarking on your venture. Good luck.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RAZZMATAZZ
Leenah,
Assuming that you have done some research regarding a potential customer base(I am not familiar with the term 'human kinethics' ),it is possible, through a lawyer, to set up an incorporated company and apply for a work permit for yourself as ostensibly being an employee of the company.In other words,the company must apply for the permit on your behalf. This is going to be a lengthy and not inexpensive process,requiring proof that a local could not fill the position (part of the requirement I believe necessitates placing advertisements in the local paper for a certain amount of time).
Either way,as stated, it will be a lengthy process,as I am sure that immigration will not be able to give you an accurate time scale. The whole process will not be achievable from Austria;and as you statea d that you would not be able initially to employ even one person,have you considered the general costs you will incur over possibly several months of waiting(lodging,food,transport etc),not to mention the probability of frequent trips to immigration (take a packed lunch) for extension visas.
Not to dishearten you,but just a few realistic points to consider before embarking on your venture. Good luck.

thanks a lot for answering, and also for a realistic view! Before doing anything, i´ll have to consider each and every aspect...so I´m glad about every statement that could save me from doing a big mistake...

well, referring on general costs of living:
I saved a lot of money over the last years, to make my dream come true; so i have approximately 1300 US / month to live (for one year), and other savings about 8000 US; I don´t need a lot of luxury, my consideration was to rent a 2-or 3 bedroom appapartment with one room used to practice my business.One year so I thought, should be enough to achieve a sufficient customer base (while anyway having 1300 US each month, if things are running bad).
I thought 8000 US would be sufficient for a lawyer and all costs of immigration department things... ?

well,considering all I actually know, best thing to do for me would be:
to apply for a short term visa (up to 6 months, am I right?), go to barbados and contact a lawyer;
he should give me a better idea, of what it really means to be selfemployed in barbados...how long the whole process would take, all costs and risks, etc...;
If it´s too hot and risky for me I´ll leave it, and would try get employed by any company;
(...maybe thats anyway the better and more secure thing for me to do )

But then I would have to leave barbados to write applications to potential employers, as i´m not allowed to stay while trying to find a job or waiting for a permission...

i know that the chance is not very high, to find a job, but worth trying it all the time...I wónt give up

one last question: Is it legal to reside in barbados (without any intention to get employed during this time) for 6 month without a working permission but a visa? only for holiday, to sort things out, a.s.o. ?

is it possible to rent an appartapartment only for a few months???

thank you so much for all your advice and suggestions!
regards, leenah!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
I think what you mean by working independent is what we call Self Employed or Small Business

I have no idea what Human Kinetics are other than what i just looked up on line but even that doesnt explain it however if its anythign like osteopath etc then you have to apply for a licence to trade. Not sure if thats the same as a work permit- hopefully someone else will be able to tell you.

The whole point you have to prove you can support yourself is that you are NOT ALLOWED to work so no visa other than a work permit would cover that.

Im sure others will contribute to this post but hope this starts you off..

hello!
yes, that´s what I´ve ment - self employed...sorry for my bad english, but i´m doing my best to improve
applying for a licence to trade - that´s the usual way in my country as well...
maybe when I get my licence translated and certified by a lawyer, this could make it easier for me to get a work permisson and / or licence t. trade...?!
thanks, leeenah
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Leenah,

My advice would be the following:

Come to Barbados on a holiday visa for 3 or 6 months. This will give you the opportunity to assess the country for yourself (i.e.- living standards, climate, demand for your service, opportunities for employment etc.). You seem to have already saved a nice pot of cash, so a 3 month research holiday should not be a problem.
During this time you could also meet with a lawyer to discuss setting up your company and also the work permit requirements.
At the end of 3 or 6 months you will be well informed in all aspects of life and work here and will be able to make your decision, if to proceed or not.

Here is an example of living costs which you will experience:
Rental of 2 bedroom apartment: BD$1200 to BD$1500 per month ( this will get you a nice apartment near to the west coast like in Husbands or West Terrace etc.). It is possible to get all utilities included for this price, but if utilities are to be extra, expect to pay BD$60 per month for electricity, water about the same (I think), gas is cheaper maybe BD$25 (some places don't use gas), MCTV or Direct TV cost from BD$65 to BD$130 per month, broadband internet BD$65 per month.
I was lucky in the past to get a 2 bedroom apartment in Husbands with all of the above included for BD$1200 per month.

I really would encourage you to make the trip here. I did it initially for 3 months in 2007. Now after two further 3 month visits I am here to stay, married to a local and in the process to become a citizen.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that you make your dreams come true!!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:20 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with Cuchullain advice - be kind to your self split it up into an initial 3 month phase 1 and then build a plan for Phase 2 - I am sure in the 3 months you are here you will be able to satisfy all the questions you will have and be able to understand your client base better - that is of course if your lifestyle allows for you to take 3 months out.

Good Luck - a small piece of advice - if no one understands the terms Human Kinetics on this site then its probably not gonna be an understood term here in barbados either - you will need to think of a term that and a product that will be easily translatable
Old Feb 14th 2010, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

thanks for all your suggestions!will think it over;
any recommendations for a good lawyer?
leenah
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Leenah
thanks for all your suggestions!will think it over;
any recommendations for a good lawyer?
leenah

What do you want the lawyer to do for you Leenah - mine is not exactly experienced in a lot of things but i feel she makes up with it in integrity and personal touch - she set up my company for me as thats real easy but not sure if she would know about the permits - you can always give her a call she will be able to tell you who is best to ask - pm me for her info

Be careful what lawyers you use here cos they are not regulated and there are many nightmare stories that lawyers rip people off here - hence why I stick with one with integrity