Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

work & reside// school visa

work & reside// school visa

Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

sweetgirl83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work & reside// school visa

Hello I am new here and just want some info.
I am a US citizen that will be soon married to a bajan that currently lives there. I called the Barbados embassy here at home (NYC) and explained that i visit the country every 2 mths for 1 week and i would like to move there and apply for citizenship. I also have a 7 yr old daughter that will be coming also- here is what i was told by the consulate- After i marry him- I can come into the office in NYC and apply for citizenship. When i visit Bim again I can request "work & reside" bcuz i have a current citizenship application being process- also i can apply for a school visa for my child- however i would have to pay for education and visa renewal annually. Therefore i will be able to work and reside their with my child and she can go to school- however the citizenship process can take well over a year--
As i read these threads the info is kind of contradictory- Please enlighten
Old Sep 12th 2012, 1:49 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work & reside// school visa

Ok.. so I'm reading this and it mostly sounds correct...

You must be married before you can apply for anything.

I'd say it's better to apply in Barbados, than in NYC.. but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Once the application for citizenship (or residency??) is in , you can apply for a reside and work (where are our R&W ladies who just got theirs??) and the childs school visa..

Paying for education means in a private primary school.. You can apply for your child to go to a government school, but not sure what the fees will be as an expat (not a citizen). I know expat families who have sent their children to government schools but not familiar with the fees..

Now.. the Citizenship is going to take at least 3-4 years.. and the R&W.. I don't know.. but it's not right away....

others who have gone through this more recently than me should be able to answer with a bit more current info, however.. most of this comes from what I've read on the board...
Congrats and good luck

Originally Posted by sweetgirl83
Hello I am new here and just want some info.
I am a US citizen that will be soon married to a bajan that currently lives there. I called the Barbados embassy here at home (NYC) and explained that i visit the country every 2 mths for 1 week and i would like to move there and apply for citizenship. I also have a 7 yr old daughter that will be coming also- here is what i was told by the consulate- After i marry him- I can come into the office in NYC and apply for citizenship. When i visit Bim again I can request "work & reside" bcuz i have a current citizenship application being process- also i can apply for a school visa for my child- however i would have to pay for education and visa renewal annually. Therefore i will be able to work and reside their with my child and she can go to school- however the citizenship process can take well over a year--
As i read these threads the info is kind of contradictory- Please enlighten
Old Sep 12th 2012, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info- for the expats that just rcv their "R&W" please help me with some more useful info.. (how long "r&w" takes to obtain) Also if u have an idea of govt school fees?? Thanks -again its greatly appreciated
Old Sep 12th 2012, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info- for the expats that just rcv their "R&W" please help me with some more useful info.. (how long "r&w" takes to obtain) Also if u have an idea of govt school fees?? Thanks -again its greatly appreciated
I applied for citizenship after marrying a Bajan last August. There was no separate application for reside and work. When I put in my application I was given a 6 month stay, during that period I was given 3 year reside and work permit while the citizenship application is processed.

Hope this helps.

Ian
Old Sep 12th 2012, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

thanks Satellite Ian that helps a great- I was wondering how long does the work & reside take to obtain. 1 question PLEASE HELP- while waiting for an approval for work & reside are u allowed to leave the countrY?? I havent squared things away back home yet and still have my child enrolled in school and my job home (NYC)
Any additional info will be appreciated also anything on govt schools fees for expats??
Old Sep 12th 2012, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

thanks Satellite Ian that helps a great- I was wondering how long does the work & reside take to obtain. 1 question PLEASE HELP- while waiting for an approval for work & reside are u allowed to leave the countrY?? I havent squared things away back home yet and still have my child enrolled in school and my job home (NYC)
Any additional info will be appreciated also anything on govt schools fees for expats??
I was able to leave the country without any hassles... on re-entering I simply asked the immigration officer at the airport to look at the 6 month stamp and asked him to authorise me for that long...didn't get any problems at all..

School fees.... nope not my area am afraid lol..

Ian
Old Sep 12th 2012, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Ok great thanks again
Old Sep 16th 2012, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

McBajan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sweetgirl83

Here's my experience so far!

I applied for citizenship by marriage in B'town in December 2011. As mentioned above, you don't actually apply for the R&W visa, but once your citizenship application is being processed it seems you get earmarked for it. Out of nowhere I received a letter (address in Barbados) in August advising that a W&R visa was waiting for me. Again, as mentioned above, you have 28 days from the date the letter is dated, to go to immigration and pay the 1000bd$ fee. I did this recently & payment receipt was noted on the letter (a nice short trip to immigration rather than usual waiting in queues!) and was told I'd hear from immigration soon, I guess to finalize the paperwork.

I couldn't tell you how long citizenship takes. TBH I haven't even bothered to ask at immigration because the experiences of those on this site seem to vary so much! However I understand the W&R lasts 3 years at a time.

Hope that helps. All the best.

McBajan
Old Sep 16th 2012, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by McBajan
Hi Sweetgirl83

I applied for citizenship by marriage in B'town in December 2011. As mentioned above, you don't actually apply for the R&W visa, but once your citizenship application is being processed it seems you get earmarked for it. Out of nowhere I received a letter (address in Barbados) in August advising that a W&R visa was waiting for me. Again, as mentioned above, you have 28 days from the date the letter is dated, to go to immigration and pay the 1000bd$ fee. I did this recently & payment receipt was noted on the letter (a nice short trip to immigration rather than usual waiting in queues!) and was told I'd hear from immigration soon, I guess to finalize the paperwork.

I couldn't tell you how long citizenship takes. TBH I haven't even bothered to ask at immigration because the experiences of those on this site seem to vary so much! However I understand the W&R lasts 3 years at a time.

McBajan
McBajan

The only comment I would add to your post is that although the $1000 is receipted on the letter you really ought to keep on at immigration to get the "formal" letter advising of your R&W.. otherwise nothing happens.

I would also advise getting the stamp in your passport (which takes 3 weeks for some reason) as then you don't have to carry the letter when you leave the country.

Hope this helps...

Ian
Old Sep 17th 2012, 2:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by McBajan
Hi Sweetgirl83

McBajan
Yes that does thanks alot - my concern was- am I able to wait for a "w&r" home n the US - and when it goes thru I can just move & get settled. I guess I can :-)
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

McBajan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ian. I'll get on it
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:54 am
Just Joined

thank you- all of your info was greatly appreciated :-)