Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Work and Reside Application

Work and Reside Application

Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:55 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work and Reside Application

Does anyone know what the Work and Reside permit application form no is so that a friend of mine can download it.. any clues on how they can find it .. also is there still a difference between the rights of a male british citizen marrying a female bajan citizen or has this been equalised now?
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Work and Reside Application

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Does anyone know what the Work and Reside permit application form no is so that a friend of mine can download it.. any clues on how they can find it .. also is there still a difference between the rights of a male british citizen marrying a female bajan citizen or has this been equalised now?
Not sure about the equality side of life.. but I married a Bajan woman last August. Not long after the wedding we both went to Immigration and spoke to them there. Being given the option of Citizenship or residency I opted for Citizenship - simply because I thought it might stop any unforeseen longer term issues.

They gave us the forms to fill in, which have the list of information and other paperwork I needed to submit. On submission they immediately gave me a six month visa. When I needed to come and go during that period I would point out on re-entry to the officer at the airport that I had the six month visa and they always gave me a stay to match that - so no additional trips to immigration.

On coming back into the island in Feb the immigration officer said to me that it seemed my Reside and Work had been issued so I ought to get myself downtown and check. So I did, got given the notice, paid the $1000 and then had to wait for the formal letter. Unfortunately the notice wasn't good enough this time not to get my passport stamped but a phone call to immigration told me the formal letter and passport stamp would be available if I went downtown. So yesterday I got the formal letter and left my passport for collection in 3 weeks with the 3 years reside and work stamp in it.

All very simple and painless really..there doesn't seem to be a reside and work form.. they issue it as a stop gap on the way to citizenship at the moment for those of us who have married a Bajan.

Hope this helps

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:05 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that info Ian I will pass it on.. out of interest how much would he have to pay to start the Citizenship process off .. you said that $1000 was once it was received.. also is it true that the if you get residency but then get divorced you would have no status and have to leave?
Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Thanks for that info Ian I will pass it on.. out of interest how much would he have to pay to start the Citizenship process off .. you said that $1000 was once it was received.. also is it true that the if you get residency but then get divorced you would have no status and have to leave?
To be honest I can't remember the initial fee but $300 is in my head. As to the other question I have no idea... hopefully I will never need to find out..

Ian