Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Work permit needed for consultancy (biz registered in UK)?

Work permit needed for consultancy (biz registered in UK)?

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 12:17 am
Just Joined

mangoginger is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Work permit needed for consultancy (biz registered in UK)?

Hi, I've seen the other posts (helpful), and am seeking advice on my slightly different case:
I got married earlier this year to a British-Bajan (Bajan by descent - he got his citizenship very easily last year). We want to move out here for good, and are trying out a 6 month stay to see how it goes.
He has no problem with his visa and work visa because he's Bajan. I am not.
I am self employed and my business is registered in the UK. I am currently working on a piece of work for a caribbean-wide organization which i won through competitive tender in January.
What about after this? Can I work for companies here (as a self-employed person registered for tax purposes in the UK but resident in Barbados)?
A second (related) issue: I came in on a visitor visa. I asked for 6 months as i have a 5 1/2 months ticket. The Immigration officer refused to give me 6 months visa as I didn't have my marriage certificate (or my husband) with me. I am anticipating a long day at immigration in town - ok. However, this piece of work means I will be leaving the country for regional travel in November and so need to know what to say when I come back... Do I go for a visitor visa again? Will a 3 month visa be given to me from the date i come in? If so i might keep popping out and get over it that way ;-)
And can I legally seek paid work or do i have to source work outside the country and use it as a base?
Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 6:01 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit needed for consultancy (biz registered in UK)?

Hi Mango there is a lot to answer there

Is your husband in Barbados with you if yes then i would suggest you go and put your papers in for citizenship/residence (a friend of mine got residence a lot easier than citizenship which takes years). This would then commence a process for you that would involve an application for work and reside - this can take around 6 months. Once you apply for this it shoud be on the computer as you come and go... you will need to submit a number of documents for your citzenship so if you dont have them now then maybe when you re-enter in Nov. Explain to them at the airport that you are residing with your husband and plan to enter in legal paperwork.

If I were you i would not mention your work right now as it may muddy the waters ie visitors permits are not for business people etc. I would however suggest you set up a caribbean office of your company - you can just register your company with a slightly different name and make it a legal entity there - I know this means paying taxes in two countries but initially it is an easier option in my opinion. Once you register the company and get your work and reside you can work anywhere. However you also have the option once you get work and reside to just work as you are also.

So to clarify - come in on standard visitor unless you can go and put in your application for citzenship before you leave...put your papers in as soon as you can and ensure that whenever you travel you have copies of your paperwork with you including your marriage certificate and payment proof of your citizenship/work and reside applications
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 2:34 am
Just Joined

mangoginger is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks Serendipidy - very helpful.
Do i sent up a caribbean-based business in any of the Caricom countries, and Barbados included (seems the obvious choice)? Is there a difference depending on which country you base it in?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:39 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mango ,,,,I can only comment on Barbados im afraid.