Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

why is Barbados the best place to live?

why is Barbados the best place to live?

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.162 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Assuming you think it is

If not, then why not
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:24 pm
Banned

asherman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why is Barbados the best place to live?

This is entirely a matter of personal taste. It’s also a matter of personal circumstances. I think that, to some extent, it also has something to do with age.

Several expats whom I know, who had a previous dream of living in Barbados and then came here, think that the place is paradise.

Other expats whom I know, who were sent here purely for work reasons, are counting the days until they can go somewhere else.

And in my experience there’s a mix-and-match between those two groups. Some who came for the dream are disappointed and frustrated. And some who came for only a short period fell in love with the place and want to live here.

It depends entirely on what you value in a life, and for that reason it is completely personal. In that light, I’ll be the first to try to answer your question.

In general, in my experience, Bajans are quite exceptionally civil. Common civility matters to me; it might not matter to you. In the many places where I’ve lived, I’d put Barbados at Number 1 in terms of basic, public politeness to others. (I should say here that I never had to deal with immigration. I know there are some complaints on this board about that). Compared to everywhere else I’ve ever lived, just the way Bajans treat each other in traffic is excellent.

The weather is mostly fine.

The island has some excellent beaches, none of which are on the west coast.

The entire country is like a very small town in North America or Europe. So if you enjoy browsing through book shops, or deciding which documentary you’d like to see at the cinema tonight, or eating excellent Italian food that doesn’t cost an arm, you have to get out of the place at least once every three months.

If you like very regular catamaran trips through azure waters, it’s excellent. If you like very regular consumption of healthy vegetables at a price that doesn’t make you depressed, it’s much less excellent.

My view: it’s nice; it’s OK. I can go to a warm sea and in the meantime I can go to the trouble of ordering my books through Amazon (and paying the duty).

I would never want to retire here (the book shop and cinema situation alone would drive me out of my mind), but I’ll be happy here for a few years.

As I said, it’s entirely personal.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply asherman. You are correct, the question is very broad and there is no right or wrong answer here. I'm simply trying to have an understanding of what people think of the place and your post was great. Age alone may change where the "best" place is according to people.

You mentioned that none of the excellent beaches are on the west coast. Can you elaborate? I've read some posts that actually recommend living on the west cost with comments about how beautiful it is.

Hopefully more people reply with their thoughts now that you have started us off

Cheers,
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

minisoufka is an unknown quantity at this point

Doesn't Crane Beach count as a western beach? That's apparently one of the 10most beautiful beaches in the world, lol. I've never been to Foul Bay, but that's supposed to be gorgeous too? Thing is they're not that good for swimming, better for surfing - the ocean is much more rough than the Caribbean Sea.

PS. Personally, I don't think Barbados is the best place to live. Apologies to everyone who does.

Don't get me wrong - the island's beautiful, a true heaven on earth taking landscape, beaches, etc. into consideration. The people are friendly, rum is good I appreciate all the great, unique things about BB - animals, plants (but not the weather, which is too hot and humid and makes me move in slow motion). But I can see too many things that I would change (or rather: that I have seen being different in other countries and they did work) or which could be different/more efficient, making people's lives easier. I wouldn't like to live here permanently. I am counting the days/weeks or whatever I have left down now. I know I will definitely miss the politeness of the people, the way they drive and show you which way to go when you're lost, but I will definitely not miss blokes whistling after me in the street and calling me 'darling'.

(ps. just to make it clear - not being able to get work permit is NOT the thing I take into account when working out the for/anti BB balance

Last edited by minisoufka; Nov 24th 2008 at 6:22 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:18 pm
Banned

asherman is an unknown quantity at this point

On beaches …

I’m sure many people will have many opinions about this, but … in my view, Crane beach is one of the world’s truly great beaches, especially in the early part of the year.

Too often I’ve gone to the west coast beaches and there is (i) only about six feet of sand between the water and the road; and (ii) several hundred people who’ve been dumped there by a cruise ship for their “day” on a Barbados beach.

Look to Foul Bay, Bottom Bay, Crane Beach. These are beyond excellent, and they’re not on the west coast.

As I say, I imagine many people will have other opinions.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

What a silly thing I am writing about beaches above - of course Crane and Foul are on the east coast. I get mixed up east/west just like left/right. I guess that's why I shouldn't take that driving test
Sorry for that!

Anna
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by minisoufka
Doesn't Crane Beach count as a western beach? That's apparently one of the 10most beautiful beaches in the world, lol. I've never been to Foul Bay, but that's supposed to be gorgeous too? Thing is they're not that good for swimming, better for surfing - the ocean is much more rough than the Caribbean Sea.

PS. Personally, I don't think Barbados is the best place to live. Apologies to everyone who does.

Don't get me wrong - the island's beautiful, a true heaven on earth taking landscape, beaches, etc. into consideration. The people are friendly, rum is good I appreciate all the great, unique things about BB - animals, plants (but not the weather, which is too hot and humid and makes me move in slow motion). But I can see too many things that I would change (or rather: that I have seen being different in other countries and they did work) or which could be different/more efficient, making people's lives easier. I wouldn't like to live here permanently. I am counting the days/weeks or whatever I have left down now. I know I will definitely miss the politeness of the people, the way they drive and show you which way to go when you're lost, but I will definitely not miss blokes whistling after me in the street and calling me 'darling'.

(ps. just to make it clear - not being able to get work permit is NOT the thing I take into account when working out the for/anti BB balance
Hi minisoufka,

What kind of things would you like to see changed?
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

eugiebabe is an unknown quantity at this point

ermm.......correct me if I'm wrong but those beaches are on the south coast right?

I agree the west coast beaches are poor in comparison to the sandy beaches of the south. Although they have the more expensive hotels they don't have the best beaches. Went to Crane beach for the first time in October and it was beautiful but Brownes beach has to be my favourite! Next time I come I'm going to try Foul Bay.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

West coast is generally known as a wealthier area, which I suppose makes it more appealing to some people. In my opinion, the east and north coasts are more beautiful (rugged, natural, fresh air) but, being a city girl, I don't think I could live there. Instead, I make regular trips to Bathsheba and up the coast, which, incidentally, looks a lot like Scotland. Except with palm trees.

Island living anywhere in the world is similar for me in one major respect: I keep my sanity by leaving the island periodically and getting to a large city. Then I come back and I'm happy. This is my second stint on a small island in another country and the feeling is the same, if nothing else is.

I don't imagine I will stay in Barbados longer than a few years, but I intend on enjoying my time here, and making the best of things I can't do at home. Like cycling outside all year round, diving in beautiful waters, and avoiding cold weather!

I both agree and disagree about Bajan hospitality and friendliness. I sometimes get it and I sometimes don't. If people think I am a tourist, they tend to treat me with less respect and friendliness. Those who have learned that I am here to stay are extremely friendly, kind, welcoming. That's a nice feeling.

HTH,
Foxy
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BeachZombie
Hi minisoufka,

What kind of things would you like to see changed?
Well, I don't want to sound fussy and horrible, but some basic things... like - why does it take an ambulance several hours to get to the patient? It probably only takes a couple of hours to drive round the whole island;

The websites of the ministries, schools/colleges, charity organisations, or the airport should be working properly - emails shouldn't be popping back because they have gone over their quota (why is somebody not checking them like they should be?); I understand BB doesn't have to be as advanced as UK, but if they provide you with contact details which include email address, they should be consistent and check it

Why do some customs officers give you a stamp for 3months and others don't? Why is it completely at their discretion to decide? why isn't it properly regulated? Why is bimchick's passport not ready to pick up after 28days when it should be?

Why is there no info on the buses on bus stops? Do they travel regularly? How am I supposed to know that?

I don't know... I sound horrible, I know... I've only been here for 2 months, so maybe I'm wrong (I would actually like somebody to correct me and say how things really are - I would like them to be different to what I see them now...)

Take care and maybe don't treat what I say too seriously
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Instead, I make regular trips to Bathsheba and up the coast, which, incidentally, looks a lot like Scotland.
It really does We got the same impression and loved it (got married in Scotland and maybe we'll live there one day for some time)
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

All of those things can be frustrating, I would just focus on enjoying yourself and have a good time, that is what I try to do. Believe me every day I find some new frustration, but what can you do? I have wanted to live here for the past 12 years, now that I am here I am going to enjoy myself!!!

Like I have said previously, immerse your self in a hobby or sport or something and forget about the rest.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Minisoufka, your repeated question "why?" made me laugh, not at you, but because many of us have often wondered the same thing!

I'll speak for myself and admit that we are spoiled in North America to have so many things at our fingertips. We expect the same everywhere we go, and we get frustrated when it's not the same. It doesn't matter whether it's Barbados, or Fiji (random choice of island)... it's all the same feeling, and that's what culture shock really is. It's less of a "shock" and more of a general frustration.

I think the trick, though, is to not dwell on "why" things are, but rather to find ways to get a good laugh out of it, or you'll drive yourself crazy
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zanne
All of those things can be frustrating, I would just focus on enjoying yourself and have a good time, that is what I try to do. Believe me every day I find some new frustration, but what can you do? I have wanted to live here for the past 12 years, now that I am here I am going to enjoy myself!!!

Like I have said previously, immerse your self in a hobby or sport or something and forget about the rest.
Zanne, seriously, get out of my head!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

My hobbies are calling I have to go, I am outta here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.