Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

why is Barbados the best place to live?

why is Barbados the best place to live?

Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:58 pm
Banned

asherman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why is Barbados the best place to live?

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
I think you're getting hosed on your internet
Thanks for that, F. It was helpful.

I’d already been considering switching from Sunbeach to Pomegranate (or whatever Cable and Wireless is calling itself this month).

Truth to tell, on arrival and out of pure principle I wanted to avoid C&W because it’s the quasi-monopoly (it controls all the lines) … just as, out of general principle, I’ve tried to avoid products from Mr. Gates’s company.

But in practical terms, what that means is that when something goes wrong I have to deal with two separate companies: my ISP (Sunbeach) and the company that controls the lines, which is Avocado (or whatever C&W is calling itself today).

Out of interest … I’m paying about $100 a month for what Sunbeach tells me is 1.5 megs. I’ve tried some independent online speed tests and I’ve found this … on the download there are several minutes each day when I am indeed getting something close to 1.5. On the upload, quite often, it’d be faster for me to hand-write a letter, get in my car, and deliver it in person.

What speed are you getting at what price (just a ballpark estimate would be helpful)?

All best.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:21 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asherman
That’s exactly what I do (plus, every time I’m in the US or the UK I buy as many books as I can carry). But when I order from Amazon for delivery in Barbados I have to (i) pay the duty and (ii) actually go to a place in order to pay the duty before I can get my books.

And viewing movies online? Have you ever tried it in Barbados? It’s possible that I have a uniquely bad internet connection, even though I’m giving Sunbeach a lot of money every month. But I have problems even viewing 30-second clips on YouTube because of bandwidth limitations. I think if I tried to download the latest offering from Hollywood I might as well leave my computer turned on and go on holiday for a week. Perhaps the movie would be on my hard drive when I got back.

No, wait, it wouldn’t … because my broadband internet connection fails about six times a day and I have to be here to re-boot the modem and the router.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not complaining. As I was at pains to stress in a post above, I understand that my job as an expat is to adapt to the local culture. In the past 20 years, moving from place to place for professional reasons, I’ve always done my absolute best to adapt … which is why I’m now multilingual and can cook you anything from an excellent paella to an excellent curry.

That said, I think it’s acceptable (not to mention inevitable) to vent a little frustration from time to time. If I was living in Borneo, or Niger, or Rwanda, I’d expect the internet connection to be garbage. I’d adapt to that. But I’d also expect to be paying a fraction of my internet costs in Europe or the US. Here, I have the worst of both worlds. I pay twice the internet rates of Europe or the US, for a service that is several orders of magnitude slower and less efficient.

And you’re absolutely right, of course, about people sprinting through central London like headless chickens. The thing is (speaking as a former headless chicken in a different big city), many of those people like doing that. They could kick back, smell the roses, chill, all that. But that takes money. And for most people, money comes with age. And I appreciate that, past a certain age and given a certain stock of money, taking it easy might be more important than bandwidth.

But basic efficiency does and should matter. If it didn’t, and nobody vented their frustration about it, nothing would ever improve.
C&W may not be your first choice but at least they are providing an efficient internet service. Is Digicel on the island ? They are supposed to be very good in the Caribbean.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Mad Q is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok guys as I said before there is an independent alternative to C&W and Sunbeach - TeleBarbados .. www.telebarbados.com ... totally independent of C&W with their own network, Service is less subscribed so you get speeds you want - $69 for half meg $99 for 1 meg down /512 up. Installs in normally 5-7 working days.

SALES PITCH OVER!!!

Barbados for me is the greatest place to live - I've lived majority of my adult life in the UK (15 Years), 2 Years US, 1 Year Canada, 1 Year India and a few months in a few of the Caribbean islands.

As some have said it's a lifestyle change - I earn probably a quarter of what i earned in the UK - its not about the money. the queues in the banks, the seemingly complete lack of haste in the service industry, I don't blame them I blame their management. I think there is a work to rule attitude within Barbados that is endemic from management down, that said I just accept it as I can not change it and if anything i find it humourous - I take great pleasure in smiling and saying please/thank you/have a great day to the miserable people I come across in the service industry and often I can get that miserable look on their face with a nice warm smile!

Barbados for me is about hanging out with friends, being able to walk the streets at any time iof day or night and feel safe, letting my 14 year old son out and not worrying about him getting shot or stabbed, its about being able to get in my car and finding a beach to go to in 10 minutes, its about going into any run shop in the isand and buying a flask of rum for $7 and listening to gossip and opinions of Barrack, Blair, Cricket, gas prices, state of the roads etc .... all with harmless arguments and being included in these ..... its because i can drive over the East Caost and see views that literally blow ne away, its because there is still a sense or respect for the elderly, its because children in the norm do as they're told, its because there is free health - may not be the best but it is free, it is because i do not have people ringing me up every 5 minutes trying to sell me things at home ...... I can go and get a great meal from vendors in baxters Road for $12, I can get a beer for $2 ... I don't like the fact that Heinz baked Beans are $6 and I can't get decent bacon anywhere .... BUT i adapt and find a local alternative ... its what you do when you live abroad .... I was in Oman for 3 months on a contract - i learnt there you have to adapt! that place is the most oppressive I've ever been too - made my time in Iran seem positively euphoric!!

I'm luckier than some of you as I have dual nationality and a green card - so ultimately I can stay or leave.

But I have decided to stay for life - It's where my heart and soul belongs ... I have a contingency plan in case things don't work out - but I prey that never happens.

Q
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much to everyone that has provided comments. They all help even if negative and I hope we get some more. Im starting to get really excited about my initial visit on Dec 13th. I will post to let you know how it goes. At this point after doing my research I have no concerns with my move, the country, healthcare, security etc. All will work itself out. The only worry I have is related to finding a nice place, in a good neighborhood that is close to Warrens.

I've been to many countries and have family everywhere and can say that there are positives and negatives to all. If there was a perfect place to live it would be heaven. Your experience is relative. Just keep in mind that if you have a bank account, shelter and a fridge you're pretty much filthy rich compared to most of the world

My intention for the post was actually to hear about all the positives on the Island...lol Mad Q posted his last reply just as I was typing this up.

Mad Q - It seems that we are definitely very similar in regards morals, outlook, attitude etc. The only difference is that I plan on having kids next year and I dont drink Thanks so much for sharing.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

I drive to and from Warrens from Ch. Ch. every day and even though I am sometimes *negative* about it usually all goes fine if you are disciplined! Leave on time! Foxy had suggested taking a 1 month rental and then getting a permanent place, that is a really good idea.

Right now we are going through some maintenance issues with our place but the location is so ideal for the paths that we beat-- if you know what I mean. You will find the right location of price, location, amenities...just be patient.

Good luck!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Sorry to hijack a bit:

Mad Q with telebarbados can you dump the home phone altogether?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Mad Q is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol zanne.

TeleBarbados is delivered wirelessly so u don't need a telephone if you don't want one.

They will be introducing telephone lines for residenbial customers in feb/mar. They delievr to businesses already.

Q
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey, hey, hey...we come from the land of Verizon and DSL. I am signing up then! Thanks
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:46 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Q
Ok guys as I said before there is an independent alternative to C&W and Sunbeach - TeleBarbados .. www.telebarbados.com ... totally independent of C&W with their own network, Service is less subscribed so you get speeds you want - $69 for half meg $99 for 1 meg down /512 up. Installs in normally 5-7 working days.

SALES PITCH OVER!!!

Barbados for me is the greatest place to live - I've lived majority of my adult life in the UK (15 Years), 2 Years US, 1 Year Canada, 1 Year India and a few months in a few of the Caribbean islands.

As some have said it's a lifestyle change - I earn probably a quarter of what i earned in the UK - its not about the money. the queues in the banks, the seemingly complete lack of haste in the service industry, I don't blame them I blame their management. I think there is a work to rule attitude within Barbados that is endemic from management down, that said I just accept it as I can not change it and if anything i find it humourous - I take great pleasure in smiling and saying please/thank you/have a great day to the miserable people I come across in the service industry and often I can get that miserable look on their face with a nice warm smile!

Barbados for me is about hanging out with friends, being able to walk the streets at any time iof day or night and feel safe, letting my 14 year old son out and not worrying about him getting shot or stabbed, its about being able to get in my car and finding a beach to go to in 10 minutes, its about going into any run shop in the isand and buying a flask of rum for $7 and listening to gossip and opinions of Barrack, Blair, Cricket, gas prices, state of the roads etc .... all with harmless arguments and being included in these ..... its because i can drive over the East Caost and see views that literally blow ne away, its because there is still a sense or respect for the elderly, its because children in the norm do as they're told, its because there is free health - may not be the best but it is free, it is because i do not have people ringing me up every 5 minutes trying to sell me things at home ...... I can go and get a great meal from vendors in baxters Road for $12, I can get a beer for $2 ... I don't like the fact that Heinz baked Beans are $6 and I can't get decent bacon anywhere .... BUT i adapt and find a local alternative ... its what you do when you live abroad .... I was in Oman for 3 months on a contract - i learnt there you have to adapt! that place is the most oppressive I've ever been too - made my time in Iran seem positively euphoric!!

I'm luckier than some of you as I have dual nationality and a green card - so ultimately I can stay or leave.

But I have decided to stay for life - It's where my heart and soul belongs ... I have a contingency plan in case things don't work out - but I prey that never happens.

Q
Great post !! Especially the part about just kicking back over a rum and listening to the endless discussions about curing the worlds ailments. That is the caribbean, people have to learn to chill and enjoy the Caribbean for what it is and stop trying to change its simplistic beauty