Where to find plants?

Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice
Default Where to find plants?

I'm looking for some reasonably well established plants, preferably a nursery as opposed to a Garden Centre - anyone have any suggestions?
Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where to find plants?

There's the place at the mall, though I think it might be more of a garden centre?

There is also a place on Golf Course Road (Rockley) that has a bunch of plants & trees. I forget the name but Golf Course Road isn't very long.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:22 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Huntes Nursery in St. Thomas and Fairview Nurseries in St. George (just across the road from my house) are 2 you may want to try. having said that the one at Sheraton seems to be good, but I guess it depends on what you are looking for.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice

Thanks guys - i've been to the one at Sheraton & wasn't really impressed - i 'll give the others a try.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Where is Zanne? She is gardener extraordinaire! Hopefully she'll chime in soon.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

He, he, he, I was gardening! Foxy...where else did you think I would be hiding!!!

I'm not too big on foliage and shrubbery, etc. but I have friends that have bought from NCC and the various government agricultural stations at very good prices. The main nursery for NCC, Codrington Nursery, is across from the National Stadium, just between the junction for Tyrol Cot and Combermere, if that makes sense. If you are driving from Combermere it will be on your right hand side. There's a neon map of Barbados showing all of the parishes at the entrance.

Another excellent place that has a mixture of vegetable/herb seedlings, ferns, cactus, flowering annuals, etc. is Seedburst which is in Gibbons Bog. Unfortunately the access road to the nursery itself is almost unpassable I can't drive down there in my car anymore. If you want directions to Seedburst (if you have a Monster Truck) I can email/PM them to you. The seedlings and plants at Carter's in Wildey are from Seedburst. They have good prices and good quality plus loads of variety.

I would avoid buying anything imported, that's just my 2 cents, so make certain what ever you buy is locally raised.

Aaah, one other thing-- Agrofest is coming up in 2 weeks at Queens Park-- there will be loads of plants on sale there. Plus it will be really fun.

Back to gardening.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ha ha! I should have known, Zanne. If I spent more time in my garden, I might get more than 2 tomatoes per week.