Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

where 2 live & school/nursery for 3.5 year old

where 2 live & school/nursery for 3.5 year old

Old Apr 14th 2007, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

13579 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile where 2 live & school/nursery for 3.5 year old

Hi everyone,

I've read previous posts on this board & have found them very helpful. I am hoping u can help me 2.

Here is the situation. Recently confirmed that Barbados will be our home for a while. Plan is 2 b in Barbados mid August and stay 3 years. Hubby will b working in Bridgetown. Me leaving job behind. Son will be 3.5 years in September, when schools start. We will be coming for a week in May 2 look at accommodation/schools. Judging by what I've read so far, I guess choice of where to live depends a lot on school/nursery for son. I' ve been able to find St. Winifred's website & came across http://www.barbados.org/educate.htm. Apart from that, nothing. I would appreciate any other weblinks to good schools/nurseries that you may know of.

Three questions:

Are there any good Montessori nurseries in Barbados for ages 3.5 till 6.5 (when we go back home to England)? If yes, where?

Primary education begins at age 4, but our son will be 3.5 years when we arrive & schools start. Do you know if they would still take him? Reason I am asking this is that we are staying 3 years and I don't think it is a good idea to move him around too much as I would want him to go through the process of making friends and get to know the place only once.

Also, are there any good French or German schools/nurseries? My hubby is French-German and would like to keep these languages alive for our son.

I guess once we have a clearer idea about Are there any good French or German schools/nurseries? My hubby is French-German and would like to keep these languages alive for our son.

I guess that is it for now. Once this decision is made, I can come back with questions on places to look for accommodation. I hear traffic is horrendous in Barbados !!!

Thanks!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: where 2 live & school/nursery for 3.5 year old

Hi from Austria,
we (2 adults with our 10 yr. old daughter) are also planning to move to Barbados next year. Like you I am searching for an adequate school for her, and I also found that St. Winifred probably would be the best. I will be in Barbados in July to look around regarding schools and also rental properties.
It would be nice if you could post your experiences to share, once you have been there in May.

Belinda
Old Apr 15th 2007, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Darren is a jewel in the roughDarren is a jewel in the roughDarren is a jewel in the roughDarren is a jewel in the roughDarren is a jewel in the rough

Hi I work with some very good people out in Barbados, English/Barbaian . ie. they have been born in Barbados, brought up in UK, and returned to work in Barbados, So they know everything going on. Send me a PM so I can put you both together. thanks dc.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Belinda1974
Hi from Austria,
we (2 adults with our 10 yr. old daughter) are also planning to move to Barbados next year. Like you I am searching for an adequate school for her, and I also found that St. Winifred probably would be the best. I will be in Barbados in July to look around regarding schools and also rental properties.
It would be nice if you could post your experiences to share, once you have been there in May.

Belinda
Hi Belinda1974, Sure!! Will let you know how it goes. What time next year will you be moving to Barbados? What's your daughter's current school in Austria like?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

I will be in Barbados again for 2 weeks between July 7th and 28th (I also go to the Grenadines for 1 week). My daughter is currently attending the last class of primary school here in Austria, in September she will start secondary school. So her English is just basic at the moment, but I am practising with her very hard because I think if she won´t learn more within the next months it will be VERY hard for her to start in Barbados next year. I am researching regarding this 11+ examination in Barbados, I heard that after primary school all scholars have to pass this exam to be able to attend better secondary schools afterwards. Do you have any knowledge of this examination process? Since my daughter will be 11 or even 12 (her birthday is in October) when we will go to Barbados, I am not sure if she has to pass the examination there before able to attend secondary school. A friend of mine who already lives there told me that for his opinion it would be better that she would start in the first year of secondary school there, even she would have done her first year at s.c. here in Austria.
Any help on this topic would be great
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

brionyj is on a distinguished road

Hi,
we are moving to Barbaods with our 6 year old son and daughter who will be 3 then. We have enrolled them in The Codrington School as they take children from age 3 in nursery for mornings as well as older.
I can't tell you how impressed I have been with the communication so far. My son currently attends private school here but the whole culture and philosophy of TCS is far above and beyond my present experience. In particular, they seem to genuinely love kids and look at encouraging the best in them as individuals, as well as academics.
the website is www.codrington.edu.bb
Have a look and e-mail them.
The principal Dennison Mackinnon has been so kind and helpful, I cannot praise them enough.
Briony
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Briony,
thanks very much for your posting, I have heard of the very good reputation of the codrington school. Do you have any idea of the school fees there? I think it may be one of the most expensive schools on the island, but if they are that good maybe I should think over it and at least visit them in July.
One big plus would be the location since I plan to live somwhere near this college, so this could be perfect I am really curious now how they are and I will arrange an appointment for July.
Where will you live in Barbados, which parish?

I just visited their website and checked their fees - sadly I think the school would be very good, but too expensive for us
The secondary school would cost BD$ 8.000 per term, wow thats pretty much since we dont pay here in Austria for her school. So the researching will continue But thanks Briony, and it would be great to get some reviews from you after the first months of your daughter at codrington!

Last edited by Belinda1974; Apr 20th 2007 at 11:15 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:39 am
Just Joined

bajan_girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Belinda1974
Hi Briony,
thanks very much for your posting, I have heard of the very good reputation of the codrington school. Do you have any idea of the school fees there? I think it may be one of the most expensive schools on the island, but if they are that good maybe I should think over it and at least visit them in July.
One big plus would be the location since I plan to live somwhere near this college, so this could be perfect I am really curious now how they are and I will arrange an appointment for July.
Where will you live in Barbados, which parish?

I just visited their website and checked their fees - sadly I think the school would be very good, but too expensive for us
The secondary school would cost BD$ 8.000 per term, wow thats pretty much since we dont pay here in Austria for her school. So the researching will continue But thanks Briony, and it would be great to get some reviews from you after the first months of your daughter at codrington!
Hi there

I am a Barbadian and I just wanted to suggest that you consider the public school education in Barbados which is better than the private schools.

My parents lived in the UK for many years and when they returned to B'dos they initially put myself and my 2 older brothers in private school, until a friend advised her of the benefits of public school. Being the youngest I was the only one to actually transfer to public school (my brothers were too close to taking the 11+).....and I have to say that I ended up going to one of the top secondary schools in the island, and my brothers were just average.

However, I would not recommend just any school, admittedly some are not very nice, but the ones to consider would be: Harrison's College in St. Michael, this is a very competitive school. Queen's College in St. James it is culturally diverse and this is also an excellent neighbourhood to live in. Combermere in St Michael and St Michael's Secondary (the name speaks for itself) are also both very good schools.

But if you are absolutely set on private schools St Ursula's is also a good school with smaller class sizes so there is more individualized attention, and not as expensive as Codrington.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Hello bajan_girl,

THANKS VERY MUCH for your useful information!
Since we are not wealthy the private schools would probably too expensive for us, so your recommendations are great I will try to visit these schools during my next stay there.

Thanks again!!!!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: where 2 live & school/nursery for 3.5 year old

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for all the helpful comment you have contributed to this thread. We're off to Barbados in a few hours and start looking at schools on Monday. Feeling a bit nervous and excited. Will try to find internet cafe somewhere and check mid-week to see if any of you have suggestions. I think we'll be looking at St Winifred's, St Gabriel's Angela's, hmmm what else. Codrington looks like an excellent school BUT is located on the other side of everything. I'm told traffic is a nightmare and best live near school, but since things seem to happen in the East and West of Barbados and I do not wish to spend my days stuck in a car with a child in the back seat, I'll have to look into other options. I still wish there was a Montessori school on the Island, since I am a great believer in it; or something else that works along those lines. Anyway, we'll soon be there and exploring the options.

Cheers,
Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Ooops !!! I meant to say things seem to be happening in the 'West and South' of the Island.

Originally Posted by 13579
Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for all the helpful comment you have contributed to this thread. We're off to Barbados in a few hours and start looking at schools on Monday. Feeling a bit nervous and excited. Will try to find internet cafe somewhere and check mid-week to see if any of you have suggestions. I think we'll be looking at St Winifred's, St Gabriel's Angela's, hmmm what else. Codrington looks like an excellent school BUT is located on the other side of everything. I'm told traffic is a nightmare and best live near school, but since things seem to happen in the East and West of Barbados and I do not wish to spend my days stuck in a car with a child in the back seat, I'll have to look into other options. I still wish there was a Montessori school on the Island, since I am a great believer in it; or something else that works along those lines. Anyway, we'll soon be there and exploring the options.

Cheers,
Old Apr 29th 2007, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

I wish you good luck to find the right school, and hope to hear back from you soon!!!! Drink some cocktails on the beach for me to
Old May 1st 2007, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

MissyMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi 13579,

I too have been looking for Montessori schools in Barbados and have come up with the following:
Casa Dei Bambini (school id 4)
Year Founded: 2001
Address: Little Battallys
Sweet Home Rd
St Peter
Phone1: 246 422 0607
Phone2: 246 439 6102
Number of students: 3
Don't know how recent the info is, it's on the Montessori.org website. Please let me know what you think of all the schools when you visit this month.

Cheers,
MissyMum
Old May 1st 2007, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

This is my first time to Barbados, and .... NOW I know exactly why those who loved it did. I can't wait for the big move to happen. Spent morning on Beach with hubby and son & boy did we have fun. Yesterday we went to st Angela's school and were pleased to find out it was montessori. Very sweet headmistress and pleasant atmosphere. Located in st michael. School has just resumed on Monday so we are going to visit it again on Friday when kids are around. Would love to write longer but can't do so now. There is a little boy monkeying around outside with dad, waving through glass window for me to come join them by pool. Gotta go!!!

Old May 2nd 2007, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

My daughter went to St.Winnifreds and we actualy had our regrets. Our idea of living in an other country is mixing with locals. Wich is near to impossible in a school full with Americans and British.So after 6 months she went to our local government school and educationwise didn't miss out on anything Winnifreds could have offered. She had here friends nearby and learned so much more about what's really going on within the local community!

I had a crunchy feeling in my gut how parents in Winnifreds stuck together ,totaly ignorant towards local community.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.