British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   whats rockley golf club like to live at (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/whats-rockley-golf-club-like-live-664849/)

tallsteve Apr 20th 2010 3:10 pm

whats rockley golf club like to live at

i will be working in barbados for 2 years this june at the new four seasons hotel being built at paradise beach just north of bridgetown,i was thinking of renting an apartment at the rockley golf club,can anyone give me any feed back if this would be a nice place to stay and i do play golf which could be handy,i would also like to know how long it would take me to get to work in the morning if i left at 7am by bus or how much a taxi would cost and traveling time regards steve.

bamiskados Apr 21st 2010 9:01 am

Re: whats rockley golf club like to live at

The rockley area is pleasant to live, it´s close to nightlife(the Gap) and everything you need is very close, like supermarkets, banks etcetera. Also close to nice beaches, you can walk from the golfclub,
I am a southcoast person myself so maybe slightly partial.

I have known people over the years who lived at the golf club , and enjoyed it, it's easy to meat up with people, and you will find a good mix, white and black locals, and visitors and i believe a fair share of expats. there are a lot of facilities, but it is expensive. Rockley is probably the most affordable golf club in Barbados at the moment so that would be a plus.

Transport at that time will be hard, it is the rush hour, and your yourney will carry you right trough the peak traffic area,from one side of Bridgetown to the other, be it by bus or car I will take a while, probably be best to take the 6 am bus. THe connection is easy, Oitins to Speightstown bus, passes on hihgway 7 in the bottom of Rendez vous, 5 mni walk from the golf club and stops in front of FOUR SEASONS.
A taxi will cost you between 40 and 50 BDS dollars and not really get you there any fasteras he will be stuck in the same traffic.

One consolation, half the working population in Barbados is stuck in that morning traffic, either in bus or car.

Ikon Apr 22nd 2010 12:42 am

I think it's a good idea to live on a community like the golf club at Rockley if you're here for a relatively short period of time. It's easier to meet other ex-pats and create a social life instantly, and you'll feel safe and secure without having to take time to learn about different areas.

I think if you're looking for a permanent move, there's better value elsewhere, but otherwise a gated community is pretty ideal.

Sunniebgi Apr 22nd 2010 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ikon (Post 8513114)
I think if you're looking for a permanent move, there's better value elsewhere, but otherwise a gated community is pretty ideal.

While I do agree that Rockley would be a good place to live on a short term basis (and even long term for that matter.. I'm not 100pct sure I'd call it a gated community..

Ikon Apr 22nd 2010 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 8514285)
While I do agree that Rockley would be a good place to live on a short term basis (and even long term for that matter.. I'm not 100pct sure I'd call it a gated community..

Sorry, I was a little unclear there, it had been a long day lol ;)

I meant that point more generally - gated communities, golf communities, larger developments etc. are great in the short-term. We live on a gated community and I think now we've been here for a while, we'd like to move and get better value elsewhere, but it was great in terms of social life and security when we first moved here.

tallsteve Apr 28th 2010 6:11 pm

travel time from paynes bay to paradise beach

how long would it take to travel by bus from paynes bay to paradise beach the new four seasons hotel,at say 7 am by bus maybe even by push bike might be an idea or are the roads to narrow and dangerous cheers steve

Ikon Apr 28th 2010 7:52 pm

Re: travel time from paynes bay to paradise beach

I would guess certainly less than 15 minutes, but I never really drive down there at that time of day. Paynes Bay is pretty close to Paradise Beach so even with morning traffic, it won't be long.

Personally, I'd steer clear of cycling in Barbados. Roads are very narrow and a lot of drivers don't slow down for anything. There was a cyclist killed on the road pretty recently that we discussed on a thread here - I think maybe some of the posters knew the person, but I don't remember the details. It was enough to make me think I should avoid bikes for a while though!

Foxy_fromCanada Apr 29th 2010 2:49 pm

Ikon - you're right. I'm an avid road cyclist, and cycling here scares me. The only time I will ever go is 6am on a Sunday - fewer cars on the road.

Myself, I've almost been hit twice. Once was really bad - I had to throw myself off my bike and into a cane field to avoid a drunk driver at 7am on a Sunday. A very considerate person stopped to see if I (and my cycling buddy) were okay, which was very much appreciated.

Having said that, it just means that I won't cycle during the week, and I'll only cycle early early in the morning. But there are plenty of people who ride their bikes to work at all hours of the day. They are just braver than me (and can handle the heat better than I can!).

The roads on the west coast, where you'd be travelling to and from work, are pretty narrow. They're mostly smooth, as they've been recently re-paved in sections, but pretty narrow especially if there is a bus on the road. It all depends how comfortable you are, I guess.

Good luck.

Mister Arsenal Dec 11th 2010 10:31 am

Originally Posted by tallsteve (Post 8509928)
i will be working in barbados for 2 years this june at the new four seasons hotel being built at paradise beach just north of bridgetown,i was thinking of renting an apartment at the rockley golf club,can anyone give me any feed back if this would be a nice place to stay and i do play golf which could be handy,i would also like to know how long it would take me to get to work in the morning if i left at 7am by bus or how much a taxi would cost and traveling time regards steve.

Hi Tallsteve
It's been awhile i know, but how the devil are you?
Would really like to chat with you one to one, let me know how we can make it happen.

Kenny.

P.S it will be 5-0 at the lane