Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

What is Citizenship by descent?

What is Citizenship by descent?

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

newjerseycop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is Citizenship by descent?

My wife would like to obtain Barbados citizenship. Her Grandfather was born there and died there. Can she get citizenship? Checked government website but that was no help. Can anyone help?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:13 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is Citizenship by descent?

I'm not an authority.. others may be able to help a little more.. but if what I have read is correct then it depends.

Grandfather - born in Barbados
Parent's - where were they born.. Barbados or somewhere else?..

if Barbados, then she could get Citizen by descent.. but if her parents were not born in Barbados, she doesn't qualify for this. One parent would have to be born in Barbados to qualify..

someone tell me if I'm right or wrong.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

hotchick21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sunnie,

Yes I think you are right!

Newjerseycop, this is probably the first question they will ask " Where were your wifey's parents born ?"

When I was getting mine sorted- many many years ago I did find the "Barbados Embassy" very helpful & managed to book an appointment to meet with someone to go over things
I would definitely give them a call... good luck & let us know how you get on x
Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe the law still reads that your father has to be born in Barbados. However, they will make concessions for applicants whose mother qualifies.

If the parent, who is the child of the Bajan, is still living, they would be able to qualify for citizenship by descent and thus the wife could apply afterwards.

They would, however, have to procure a birth certificate to prove citizenship existed for the grandparent. This should be obtainable in Barbados providing you can locate the information on parentage (great-great grandparents), date of birth and parish.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

newjerseycop is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to say Thank You, to all who responded to my question. THANK YOU.......