Welcome Stamp Questions

Old Jan 25th 2021, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Welcome Stamp Questions

Opps.. I just did a quick scan of my network... I have 23 devices... lol... but then so many are unnecessarily connected I guess
Old Jan 25th 2021, 8:28 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

LTE = long term evolution , its a standard that allows huge expansion. miliwave 5g is ony found in a few cities but offers huge speeds but needs small towers at higher densities. There is true 5g is trinidad - not mwLTE however. Their mobile based home broadband unfortunately currently doesnt use it however - its still 4.5g.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 8:35 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Doesnt really matter how many devices unless you have wifi clashes, or they all use lots of data. I have run college dorm networks, they are hammered by users, so you soon notice the limitations of the network hardware. Why would you have 12 high end laptops, all supporting 802.11n trying to download files, over a router/modem powered by a single core intel atomto a 10GB LAN. Routers need to be at least 2-4 core high speed devices with plenty of memory or they are the bottleneck. Corporate wifi networks are great but again - the broadcom chips in intel devices are usually poor at managing data if you are actually mobile. Handoffs to other access points are not managed well even with modern devices. You realise one reason you cant use a phone on a plane - the handoff between cells is only good for 75-100 miles an hour - the calls get lost on old cells.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

I know.. it was a very tongue in cheek comment....
Old Feb 4th 2021, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Wharfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, back to the original question. Barbados has two fibre providers. Digicel and Flow. Both work perfectly fine. We used to have Columbus Communication (before they were taken over by Flow, now all part of John Malone's empire). The last three years we have Digicel fibre. Our package 250MB confirmed download speed and 80MB upload costs 150 BBD per month, including basic TV package and another landline which is nice to use for local calls,
Old Feb 6th 2021, 2:19 am
Good day

bs_wave is an unknown quantity at this point

jimbocollett, it looks like you posted the same question on TripAdvisor. Nonetheless, I will repeat my answers here for reference:

In comparison to the UK how expensive are food and household items? We live in London so confident we can save on rent but curious about other costs.
Food prices are on average higher in Barbados than in the UK, but not by as much as you would expect for a Caribbean island. Most food products are imported, and Massy Stores (one of the main supermarket chains in Barbados) offer a lot of Waitrose products, so you can find a lot of familiar products from the UK.

What are other 'life' costs like? Phone contracts, cost of a haircut etc.
I can't speak for the ladies, but for gents haircuts, expect prices to be around $20 BDS (£7.25) – $40 BDS (£14.51) . In other words, in line with UK prices or perhaps even slightly cheaper.

"SIM-only plans", as one would call it in the UK, is called a "pre-paid plan" in Barbados. As with broadband, the two only mobile phone providers (cell phone companies) in Barbados are Digicel and Flow.

Expect to pay about $100 BDS (£36.20) a month for 150 – 300 minutes and 5 GB – 10 GB 4G data.

I've seen the wifi speed is excellent but is it reliable? We'll both be working remotely so this is vital!
Yes, broadband speeds are very good in Barbados – most places get speeds of at least 60 Mbps down / 20 Mbps up. The only two providers in Barbados are Digicel and Flow. I would recommend you go with Flow as they offer better customer service in my experience.

If there's any other advice you feel would be useful, please do let me know!
  • Cars drive on the left-side in Barbados.
  • There are many roundabouts in Barbados: if you intend to drive, you will need to familiarise yourself with them if you are coming from the USA.
  • At roundabouts, unless road markings or signposts indicate otherwise, the first lane is for turning left (or 1st exit) only. This is different to the UK, in which the left lane at roundabouts are usually for turning left or going straight on.
  • Since you are moving to Barbados under the remote work visa, I would recommend renting your own furnished property after you have been here for at least 2-3 months, as it is likely to be cheaper in the long run than an Airbnb or hotel, especially during the high season.
  • We are currently in the dry season, so humidity is lower and therefore it doesn't feel quite as hot and sticky as it does at other times of the year. Daytime temperatures are generally around 28℃ – 32℃ (82.4 ℉ – 89.6 ℉) all year round. The wet season (it rains much more) is between June and November, and humidity levels are noticeably higher.
  • Car rentals are very expensive in Barbados during the high season. It may be cheaper over time to buy a car, but vehicle prices are 2-3x more expensive than they are in the USA or UK. Simpson Motors is often recommended for buying used cars on the island.
  • Many roads do not have pathways (sidewalks) for pedestrians, so people walk on the road a lot, sometimes even if pathways are available to use. Drive carefully in Barbados. Do not assume a pedestrian will stop or move in.
  • You will hear lots of car and minibus horns going off when you are outside. Drivers use their car horn to acknowledge another driver for giving way ("thanks for letting me out") and occasionally the person giving way will do the same ("you're welcome"), to warn another driver or a cyclist or pedestrian that they are about to be overtaken ("I'm about to overtake you"), and to warn/tell off another driver when they're doing something dangerous.
  • Pay attention to STOP and GIVE WAY signs and road markings, because some roads in Barbados – which look like a junction to Brits and Americans – may not necessarily be a junction from which all traffic has to stop. For example, some roads allow you to continue driving in what feels like a right turn because traffic from all other directions has to give way to you.
  • The road conditions in Barbados are not up to the same standard that you will be used to. Many roads have little to no road markings, and relying on road signs to get your way around the island is impossible. Many roads, even on the 'highways', can have potholes and uneven road surfaces. If you've ever complained about the road conditions in your home country, just wait until you drive in Barbados. The road network is extensive, but quite frankly poorly maintained in more places than I'd like to say.
  • If you need to buy electronic, computer or office equipment in Barbados, Promotech is often recommended.
  • The Welcome Stamp visa cannot be extended, however the Prime Minister of Barbados has indicated that a new Immigration Bill is being drawn up which she said would be presented to Parliament early this year (perhaps within the next few months). This Immigration Bill is rumoured to include provision to provide new visa pathways for Welcome Stamp visa holders if they wish to continue working in Barbados beyond their 12 month remote work visa, which hopefully will include an option to become tax resident in Barbados.
  • Wearing camoflauge material is illegal in Barbados, so if you have any clothing with army or camoflauge material, don't bring that with you.
  • Same sex couples can apply for the Welcome Stamp, but homosexuality is illegal in Barbados. The Government of Barbados plans to legalise same-sex civil partnerships in the near future, and with that, the law against homosexuality is likely to be repealed.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Lots of info there.. the only point I would pick at is the one that says the Welcome Stamp cannot be extended... almost from the beginning of people arriving in this way there was talk people being able to get a second year... if this has been formally brought into being I don't know... I cannot imagine it won't be as the whole premise of the stamp is to raise income for the government... so I would image for a fee some form of extension will be granted if you continue to meet the rest of the conditions..

The PM has mentioned amending the Immigration Act.. but I think she and her government have other issues to deal with at this point... so granting extensions would be an easy compromise for now.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 10:05 pm
Good day

Originally Posted by satellite_ian
Lots of info there.. the only point I would pick at is the one that says the Welcome Stamp cannot be extended... almost from the beginning of people arriving in this way there was talk people being able to get a second year... if this has been formally brought into being I don't know... I cannot imagine it won't be as the whole premise of the stamp is to raise income for the government... so I would image for a fee some form of extension will be granted if you continue to meet the rest of the conditions..

The PM has mentioned amending the Immigration Act.. but I think she and her government have other issues to deal with at this point... so granting extensions would be an easy compromise for now.
Indeed, and I hope that the government will have something in the upcoming Immigration Bill for us remote workers. I'm pretty sure if they don't have enough time to do so before June 2021, they may offer an extension to existing Welcome Stamp visa holders as a stop-gap measure.

What I think the government will do – or at least, what I hope they will do – is offer a new type of work permit for Welcome Stamp visa holders that will allow them to become tax resident in Barbados and obviously continue to live and work on the island.

Every interaction I've had with the government since I've been here has always been about the need for "foreign exchange". They are desperately trying to increase the amount of foreign currency coming into the island.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 1:41 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

The welcome stamp CAN be extended. but I don't believe that it would or should, extend to any sort of "Immigration" status. Possibly a residency status of some sort, but more along the lines of a special entry permit , which is predominately for wealthy and older people wishing to relocate.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Surely Residency is a sort of immigration status... I guess you mean citizenship... understandable.. but the population is ageing and something has to be done...
Old Feb 7th 2021, 2:39 pm
Good day

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
The welcome stamp CAN be extended. but I don't believe that it would or should, extend to any sort of "Immigration" status. Possibly a residency status of some sort, but more along the lines of a special entry permit , which is predominately for wealthy and older people wishing to relocate.
No, it cannot be extended. I have had this confirmed by multiple agents from the Barbados Welcome Stamp Center. They once had an FAQ that said it was renewable but they've since removed that from the website.

It is possible that the government may offer the option to renew the visa in the future, but there is no guarantee at the moment.

Just so we're clear about the conditions of the Special Entry permit, it does not allow persons to work in Barbados, whether that is with a company in Barbados or for a company outside Barbados. You would still need a work permit (or as the case may be, a Welcome Stamp visa).

If you consider the Special Entry permit a form of residency, then by extension the Welcome Stamp visa is also a form of residency, albeit temporary.

Last edited by bs_wave; Feb 7th 2021 at 3:08 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 2:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bs_wave
No, it cannot be extended. I have had this confirmed by multiple agents from the Barbados Welcome Stamp Center. They once had an FAQ that said it was renewable but they've since removed that from the website.

It is possible that the government may offer the option to renew the visa in the future, but there is no guarantee at the moment.
Is this incorrect then?
Once approved, the Barbados 12 Month Welcome Stamp visa is valid for one year, and you can also reapply after this period.
https://barbadoswelcomestamp.bb/#:~:...0this%20period.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 3:07 pm
Good day

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Is this incorrect then?
Once approved, the Barbados 12 Month Welcome Stamp visa is valid for one year, and you can also reapply after this period.
https://barbadoswelcomestamp.bb/#:~:...0this%20period.
Yes, it is incorrect, at least at this time, but it stands to reason that something has to be done to allow persons on the Welcome Stamp visa to stay longer if they wish to, because they are contributing to the Barbados economy.

I have asked multiple agents about this – on the phone and by email – and they have all given me the same response: it's not renewable. They once had an FAQ showing that it was renewable but they have since removed it.

Archived Page from August 2020 (FAQ present): https://web.archive.org/web/20200802...estamp.bb/faqs

Archived Page from November 2020 (FAQ removed): https://web.archive.org/web/20201116...estamp.bb/faqs

Last edited by bs_wave; Feb 7th 2021 at 3:18 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2021, 12:15 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Just to advise.. this graphic comes up on the Barbados Welcome Stamp page.. and states in the Move Section. the 12 month welcome stamp is valid for 1 year: and you can REAPPLY after this period. this has been sent to and shown to Mr. Darren Ellis, who seems to be the person in charge of the welcome stamp for the BTMI/Ministry of Tourism etc.. but who seems to NOT be doing much work on it.. as "resources have been sent elsewhere, specifically to the covid fight." however. .interestingly enough, this was the initiative that was born out of the covid situation.

Re-apply?? Renew?? 6 of 1, half dozen of the next.. I am aware of the new initiatives for citizenship (by decent being more than one generation down) and the "residency status" of Welcome Stamp participants, but this hasn't been made known as yet.. again, as Mr. Ellis eluded to "it's being worked on" but nothing done as yet.