Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Want to relocate to Barbados

Want to relocate to Barbados

Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

aries76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to relocate to Barbados

Hi everyone

My boyfriend is Barbadian and lives in Barbados and I want to relocate over there to be with him. I work as a legal secretary in London and would like any information that anyone may have as to whether I would be able to get a work permit over there or is the only way if I have family there or am married to a Barbadian?

Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Want to relocate to Barbados

You would have to start contacting law firms here to see if there is a demand for Legal Secretaries that is not met by a supply of local workers. A firm would have to search for a suitable national to fill the position and once none is found then apply for a work permit on your behalf, and you would have to remain in their employ for as long as you want to stay here.

If you want to take the marriage route you are looking at nearly 2 years before it will be finalized. Also I have been told (and who knows if it is true nor does it make much sense) that the policy of the immigration department is to not allow people with pending citizenship applications to apply for work permits.

Good luck!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for your useful info.
Does that mean that once I got married to my boyfriend in Barbados I would then be sent back to the UK for 2 years and would have to leave him until it was finalised or can I stay in Barbados with him for good once married?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

pussygapdoll is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
once you are married to him you can stay in barbados but you will not be allowed to work unless you have a permit or until your papers come through which can take up to two years to happen. you will have to keep going to the passport office to get your an extention on your stay, i am not sure if you have to an return air ticket.

pgdoll
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Once you apply for citizenship you can stay, I think you can get 6 month extensions-- then count on 2 years before you get the final documents, and as of lately at immigration you cannot get a work permit while waiting for citizenship. **Keep in mind that immigration policy seems to change daily.**
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Ok thats really useful to know. Thanks for all your info.