Walking - exercise routes

Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Michael Digby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Walking - exercise routes

We now live in Barbados for half of the year and absolutely love everything about it. We have a place in Weston St James but try to spread ourselves around the island to experience and involve ourselves in Barbados as much as we can. But, we're having difficulty with one thing and that is somewhere to exercise. My wife and I both need to take a vigorous 2 or 3 mile walk every day - one of the penalties of getting older I'm afraid However we can't find anywhere that is either safe enough (from speeding motorists) or even enough, to maintain a rapid pace. We like to walk in the outdoors to benefit from the fresh air rather than in an air-conditioned gym. I should add that we can't walk anywhere that is too rich in vegetation as my wife suffers greatly when she is stung or bitten by insects. I would welcome any ideas of good routes or paths to walk that fits this bill and would really appreciate any feedback anyone can give us on this please. Many thanks!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 5:22 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Walking - exercise routes

a couple of places come to mind.. but may or may not fit what you are looking for.

1. The south coast (or west coast) boardwalks.. I've never been on the West coast one, so I'm not familiar with how far it goes. you may have to walk back and forth a few times, even on the south coast one to get the exercise you want, but. you will not be alone.. lots of people do it..

2. the area round the Barbados Gymnasium in the Wildey area.. yes, you will deal with some cars.. and yes, you may have to walk a few times around the area, but it's a good walking area.. plus they have an exercise trail with some equipment you can stop and try.

3. The Garrison Savannah racestrack.. many people walk aorund that area both on the side walk on the outside of the track or there is a walking track on the inside....

4. walk from one end of Carlisle Bay to the other..
Start close to the Yacht Club and walk towards Bridgetown on the beach.. or vice-versa..
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:31 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Dayyymmmmm that was an impressive response Sunnie lol
Old Sep 9th 2013, 1:28 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Dipty you are too funny..

now what must be said is this.. I know about these places.. but.. well.. if you have ever seen me you could figure out that I'm totally unconcerned about the "getting older" reason for walking... haha. Ask me about great place to swim. enjoy floating and moving around it great water?? no problem.. I can do that tooo..

(maybe I should take my own advise and visit one of these areas.. having said that.. we do the boardwalk .. on occasion. not often.. but it's a nice walk..)
Old Sep 9th 2013, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Wow! Awesome reply - thank you. The south coast boardwalk is indeed one of our faves, the only problem being that we have to drive 30 minutes (and some more sometime!) to get there. Believe it or not we have yet to find the west cost board walk, we even asked a few of the locals hanging out on the beach and none of them knew what we were on about! Like the idea of the racetrack too but again it means we have to get in the car to go there - but all that said, we will try it. Thanks very much!!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:42 am

I feel your pain Michael.. I live in the middle of the island.. and can't really walk where I live.. one great main road.. with too much traffic including big trucks and buses.. and the rest is canefield with lots of uneven spaces to walk.. thus the great advise that I don't take any off.. the issue with the west coast is really that there isn't a long expanse of beach. go to the Holetown Police station and ask about the boardwalk.. it starts somewhere around there. another place could be back on the roads around Sunset Crest.. if you don't mind a hill there is one from just north of holetown (over the bridge heading north) that heads straight up to highway 2A.. not ideal but.. it might work..
Old Sep 9th 2013, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Gaaaagh! We are on the same wavelength here ...... we tried the road behind the health centre and very nearly got knocked down twice in the first 100yards so we retreated back to the safety of the car- ha! Yes we will pursue the Police station for directions to the boardwalk ....... I should add that we are not 'ancient' my lovely wife is in her 50's but the naughty arthritis and stiff joints are not only creeping on they are galloping girl!! Se looks fab though lol!! thanx again xx
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Michael Digby
Gaaaagh! We are on the same wavelength here ...... we tried the road behind the health centre and very nearly got knocked down twice in the first 100yards so we retreated back to the safety of the car- ha! Yes we will pursue the Police station for directions to the boardwalk ....... I should add that we are not 'ancient' my lovely wife is in her 50's but the naughty arthritis and stiff joints are not only creeping on they are galloping girl!! Se looks fab though lol!! thanx again xx
Check out the Barbados Hash House Harriers (www.barbadoshash.com). We meet every Saturday at various places all over the island. Loads of people, runners and a lot of walkers of all ages... You will definitely see bits of the island you otherwise wouldn't.

Ian
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Looks fab - thanks!! We are back again for our next stay in the second week of November so will definitely add this to our list.