Volunteering in Barbados

Old Dec 9th 2007, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Stephanie_77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Volunteering in Barbados

So, following my trip last week, it looks like I'll be spending 6-8 weeks in Barbados over the summer. Had the 'okay' from my boss today so very excited. But I obviously can't work over there - not willing to do anything illegal because, to me, it's just not worth it. So I'm wondering how easy it would be to volunteer while I'm out there. I don't want to be idle for that time and also, as cheesy as it sounds, I want to 'give something back' to the island that has given me so many happy memories.

I have emailed the Barbados National Trust about volunteer opportunities - does anyone know any other avenues I could try? Maybe youth work or something?

Thanks!

Stephanie
x
Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:52 am
Just Joined

pussygapdoll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Volunteering in Barbados

hi stephanie

glad to hear you had a good holiday. hope things are working out fine with your fella.

how about the local hospital as in england it is run by volunters half the time so it could also apply to barbados.

jackie
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Yay! I've had a response back from The Ark about volunteering in their offices when I come over. They are (or will be) based in St Philip - - does anyone know how easy it would be for me to get to them from the Dover area (near the Gap) on public transport??

Thanks!

Stephanie
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:30 am
Just Joined

pussygapdoll is an unknown quantity at this point

HI STEPH

st phillips is the other end of the island. i am not sure if you can get there on one bus. you may have to change at bridgetown.i should imagine it is half a hour drive maybe longer at busier times.

regards
jackie
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Public transport is going to be a nightmare, I would search out opportunities in Ch.Ch.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Zanne. I'm going to keep looking but this was my first response back from someone. Seems like a lot of the island isn't interested in me as a volunteer

If anyone can think of anything, I'm a legal secretary/PA with 10 years experience but would be willing to 'muck in' wherever I can.

Thanks guys!

Stephanie
Old Dec 21st 2007, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Do you like animals? Hope Sanctuary is always looking for volunteers.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Yep, love animals! I'm off to have a look on the net for Hope ...
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Did you find it? Otherwise:

http://www.thehopesanctuary.com/

There is a woman in Oistens, off of Oistens Hill that we adopted our kitten from, she is affiliated with HS and had told me there were lots of opportunities for volunteering. Maybe you could even assist her, I will PM you her name/number. I think you would just have to explain to her that you need to volunteer locally to the Dover area due to transport. restraints.

Good luck!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much Zanne!!