Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Volunteer work in Barbados-any ideas?

Volunteer work in Barbados-any ideas?

Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

12ellie12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Volunteer work in Barbados-any ideas?

Hi everyone,

As I can't get a permit & I'm trying to find out what it would be like to actually live rather than holday in BB, I thought I could do some voluntary work. I'll have the time for once & won't totally turn into a beach bum
Has anyone any suggestions- ideally which will be good for my CV too & won't cost me anything other than my time?

Thanks
Ellie
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:56 pm
jackie manley

Default Re: Volunteer work in Barbados-any ideas?

hi
i am not sure what work but how about working as a volunteer at the local hospital. i remember a friend who was living in barbados but couldnt get a work permit did some volunteer work in the hospital there.

it is just a thought

jackie

Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks- I'll look into this...but I'm not very good with blood or needles- may end up being more hindrance than help!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

pussygapdoll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hi ellie

hi ellie

cant quite master this forum at the moment
i am from manchester and travelling to barbados for crop over .
i will be there from 29/7 12/8 and staying in christchurch near the gap.
where are you staying let us know and we can met up.
i see you go in the carib. i usually sunbathe near cystal waters beach bar and go to the carib as well for a drink.
hope we can meet up

pussy gap doll.

have you met someone out there or just barbados crazy
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pussygapdoll,

Nice to meet you! I'll be there from 23.07- 3 weeks on Mon!! Yep I like Sandy Beach too so no doubt I'll see you there- maybe you can join me, Belinda1974, Bajan boy & trutje ( if she's there) for Banks at Carib!

I was never really bothered about going to Barbados- thought the carribean sounded nice in general, then I ended up getting a last minute flight there as it was the only place I could get accommodation too...what a happy accident!! Basically I fell in love with it, love the music, people and the food! I've pulled out all the stops to get back there to see if I could live there permanently. I take it you've met someone though...

As you're a dab hand at crop over- where shall I go , what shall I wear & how much will it cost? Thanks

Hi Belinda, Trutje & Bajan boy- I've every confidence you'll read this thread too! Hope to see you all soon - I know it's not long for us all- see you in the Carib!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Hi 12ellie!

Yes, I am so much looking forward to be there very soon - only 6 days left now!!! Are you able to read emails there as well? But anyways, I will arrive before you, so I will regularly post here when on the island, since I have to go to the internet cafe to call my daughter and husband
So - see you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi Belinda,

I'll have to access the internet or my mum will go bananas! "where are you? what are you doing? are you ok? why haven't you been in touch? you are still coming back aren't you? Don't you love your old mum?!" I'll defo be on the net to catch up with eveyone-who knows I may recognize you on the beach from your picture!

Hope your flight is smooth & you have lots of fun, take care, Ellie
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Hi again,

thanks, I just hope to get over the flight without major hangover haha
I think we will have some champagne piccolo or two to realize that we really are on the flight to Barbados Both my two friends who will come with me are totally crazy about flying there next week, and I am nothing better Today I have been shopping all day long, uff, my purse is hateing me now But Barbados - I am prepared now

I will open a new posting, please check it !
Old Jul 4th 2007, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

amber221 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi ellie,
Sorry but i have no clue about volunteer work in barbados or working permits. I came across your question while i was looking for information about working in Barbados. So i hope you don't mind but i thought i'd get in touch with you. I am also hoping to go over there to live and work for a while. Some people have told me its hard to get a working visa for barbados while others have said its easy. I know of two girls who went last month to live out there for a year and as far as i know they have had no problems getting the paper work sorted. Im hoping to go in September, im sure i can go for 6 months without needing a visa the problem is i want to work so i think i do need one. Hope you don't mind me asking but why have you not been able to get a work permit? Is it quite difficult getting a work permit or visa? I have only just started looking into all this, i got a feeling im gonna come across some problems. Sorry i was no help to you. I'd be really interested in what information you have and how you get on with it all. Good luck

Amber x
Old Jul 4th 2007, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi Amber,

Don't worry about asking questions-we're all friendly here!

The best thing to do is read all the forums-there's plenty people commented on this with more knowledge than I have. Basically I've looked for jobs, but there's v few that I could fill better than a Bajan could & this is any company's first choice. Also due to the expense of getting a visa they would want somebody who is an utter necessity & staying long term. This is visit is more a go see for me- a trial run to see if I could live in BB so I'm only going to be there 6 months. I would have liked to work as I'm not made of money but my only option realistically would have been illegal which I'm not willing to risk getting barred from the Carribean for!!

So I'll be living v cheaply but having a ball no doubt! What do your friends do? What kind of work would you want & do you think you'll move there permenantly?

Good luck & let me know how it goes,

Cheers
Ellie
Old Jul 4th 2007, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for getting back to me, that was useful. When i go in September it will be for 3 months and like you it will be to see how i get on and if i want to stay there long term. Im a hairdresser but to be honest i don't mind wot i do i would just like to experience working and living there rather than doing the holiday thing again. Im working flat out over here so when i go i will have money so i guess i'll just have to see how it goes.

The girls that went last month are friends of a friend so im gonna try and find out a bit more from my mate about how they are working out there.

So you must love Barbados too!! I went for my 1st time last september but i have spent the last 10 months flying back and forth. The last time i was there i went for a month and hated coming home, i can't seem to settle here anymore. What work did you want to do out there? Are you doing this on your own or do you have friends there or are you going with friends?

I've got a few friends in Barbados and also have friends here who have parents and relatives out there, so i got contacts but no-body that has any idea of what documents i need. I better get doing my homework.

Well good luck with finding volunteer work. I'll ask my friends in Barbados when i next speak to them, they might be able to help or point you in the right direction. I'll be in touch

Nice meeting you.. amber x
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:10 am
Just Joined

pussygapdoll is an unknown quantity at this point

hi amber

you could always fall in love and marry a bajan guy and you will automatically get citzenship.

i have several friends in barbados and a couple of them are married to bajan guys they have now lived on the island years and have jobs on the island.

i think things may have changed slightly now for getting citzenship when you marry but not impossible.

if you are in the travel industry try virgin as they have got a office in barbados. my friend has just got a job for 6 months with them

regards
pussygapdoll.

be nice to meet you all in barbados july for crop over and again jan 08, i also love barbados a lovely island but expensive to live if you havent got a lot of money behind you.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

hi

I guess thats one way to do it and how nice would that be getting married on the beach. Do you just go over for holidays or are you living there or thinking of living there?

I wish i was going for crop over but i got to wait and go September and i'll be there till December, so if your there then it be great to hook up.

I was thinking of trying to get a job with a travel company out there but i have no qualifications or experience in that line of work.

Well im sure something will happen if its meant to be. I'll keep looking in to things.

Nice to hear from you
Amber x
Old Jul 13th 2007, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 12ellie12
Hi everyone,

As I can't get a permit & I'm trying to find out what it would be like to actually live rather than holday in BB, I thought I could do some voluntary work. I'll have the time for once & won't totally turn into a beach bum
Has anyone any suggestions- ideally which will be good for my CV too & won't cost me anything other than my time?

Thanks
Ellie
Hi Ellie,
I suddenly had to think of something..
When we just lived in BB my son was a volunteer at the RSPCA !!
It's nice work with nice people and if you like cats and dogs you're sorted
If you're interested you could phone them and ask for Dale, he's the longest working member there and he's very big but very sweet
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

barbadosunderground is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pussygapdoll
hi amber

you could always fall in love and marry a bajan guy and you will automatically get citzenship.

i have several friends in barbados and a couple of them are married to bajan guys they have now lived on the island years and have jobs on the island.

i think things may have changed slightly now for getting citzenship when you marry but not impossible.

if you are in the travel industry try virgin as they have got a office in barbados. my friend has just got a job for 6 months with them

regards
pussygapdoll.

be nice to meet you all in barbados july for crop over and again jan 08, i also love barbados a lovely island but expensive to live if you havent got a lot of money behind you.

I am sorry but that does not work anymore. We have many Barbadian men who have married for convenience to expats for money and found themselves in hot water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.