British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Visiting other islands (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/visiting-other-islands-612776/)

Ikon Jun 3rd 2009 6:23 pm

Visiting other islands

I've been on the island with my family now for a few months and was thinking the other day it would be nice to do some trips to other islands but we seem to know absolutely nothing about how to go about arranging them, or which might be good islands to visit.

Does anyone have any advice of islands that are quick to get to (we have an almost-4 year old, an 11-month old and we'll possibly be accompanied by a friend with a blind 18-month old so don't want a very long boat trip for example), and what kind of activities we might try on them on 1-3 day outings??? All advice and 'insider info' much appreciated!! ;):thumbup:

Foxy_fromCanada Jun 3rd 2009 6:36 pm

Re: Visiting other islands

I haven't done this, but apparently it's cheap and easy to grab a cruise from here to some of the other islands. I know some people who did it for 3 days. I think they booked through a travel agent. It's something I'd like to do sometime.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up doing... some of us may want to copy ;)

vikki85 Jun 4th 2009 8:56 am

There is not a ferry that can get you to other islands from Barbados, so as Foxy said the option would be a cruise or fly. St Lucia is probably the closest island, but even to there flights are not cheap. A short cruise would prob be the best option.

shines Jun 4th 2009 9:01 pm

You can fly to other Islands on LIAT, book via here

http://www.liatairline.com/

Ikon Jun 5th 2009 12:59 am

Originally Posted by shines (Post 7634985)
You can fly to other Islands on LIAT, book via here

http://www.liatairline.com/

Thanks shines, we were looking at their site earlier today for some ideas funnily enough. We're actually thinking of trying Trinidad as it's somewhere we've never been and it will probably be a completely different experience to Barbados and quite un-touristy.

Anyone on here been? Any hotel recommendations/things to do??? We've got young kids so anything suitable for families would be good to hear about!

Foxy_fromCanada Jun 5th 2009 10:29 am

I'm not sure I'd recommend Trini... can be unsafe :( (sorry to any Trinis out there)

Ikon Jun 5th 2009 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada (Post 7636689)
I'm not sure I'd recommend Trini... can be unsafe :( (sorry to any Trinis out there)

Really?
What about Tobago - any info on that?

We've been to Grenada, St Vincent and St Lucia before so didn't want to repeat those. Might investigate flying up to Antigua too, although have a feeling it might be similar to here?

Foxy_fromCanada Jun 5th 2009 10:42 am

Well, at the risk of offending Trinidadians (apologies again), yeah, Trini is a bit tumultuous right now. Kidnappings are high.

Tobago, I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can comment.

My bf went to Curacao last fall - said it was pretty cool. Not sure how cheap/easy it is to get to, though. It's almost South America!

Most of the other islands are volcanic, where we're coral, so you'll almost always get different scenery. Didn't you love the pitons in St. Lucia? That was astounding to me.

Would love to hear about your experiences on the other islands, Ikon. I'd like to visit more too, and it would be great to hear how they were! My bf loved Grenada (I, sadly, didn't get to go on that trip).

Take care,
Fox

zanne Jun 5th 2009 12:06 pm

What about Bequia via St. Vincent, I am dying to go there!

vikki85 Jun 5th 2009 12:11 pm

My H2B would like to visit St Vincent as that is where his mum was born. We have been looking at diff options for our honeymoon, but due to lack of funds, may just end up on the south coast for a few nights - will still be like a holiday for us 'northerners' lol!!

Foxy_fromCanada Jun 5th 2009 2:07 pm

The Crane would also be nice, Vikki. Or Little Arches. :)

Ikon Jun 5th 2009 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada (Post 7636727)
Well, at the risk of offending Trinidadians (apologies again), yeah, Trini is a bit tumultuous right now. Kidnappings are high.

Tobago, I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can comment.

My bf went to Curacao last fall - said it was pretty cool. Not sure how cheap/easy it is to get to, though. It's almost South America!

Most of the other islands are volcanic, where we're coral, so you'll almost always get different scenery. Didn't you love the pitons in St. Lucia? That was astounding to me.

Would love to hear about your experiences on the other islands, Ikon. I'd like to visit more too, and it would be great to hear how they were! My bf loved Grenada (I, sadly, didn't get to go on that trip).

Take care,
Fox

I did like St. Lucia, it's got a really nice feel too. Grenada's perfect for relaxing, much slower pace than we've got here. I may be tempted to go back there actually, though we'd like to go somewhere new! Decisions decisions ;)

pgtips Jun 5th 2009 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ikon (Post 7637597)
I did like St. Lucia, it's got a really nice feel too. Grenada's perfect for relaxing, much slower pace than we've got here. I may be tempted to go back there actually, though we'd like to go somewhere new! Decisions decisions ;)

I would have to agree, give Trinidad a miss for now, just way too much negative stuff happening right now. I used to go in the good old days and it was pretty cool then. Tobago is much slower paced with nicer beaches, but stuff from Trinidad unfortunately is spilling over to the sister isle. Trinidad is not the prettiest of islands, but the people in general are a great bunch and have a good spirit.
Carnival is awsome, very pretty women, great music, but all of this is spoiled by the callous bandits who seem to think anybody no matter what their background can become their next victim of crime. I think the murder count was about 450 last year and already on target to match or surpass this figure this year.

There may be less excitement in the smaller islands but at least you will have more peace of mind.

Ikon Jun 5th 2009 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by pgtips (Post 7637805)
There may be less excitement in the smaller islands but at least you will have more peace of mind.

It certainly sounds that way! Maybe Grenada is the one then.... It'll just be nice to try somewhere different for a few days, it'll remind me why I picked Barbados no doubt.

Foxy_fromCanada Jun 5th 2009 6:50 pm

Grenada is the spice island! My bf brought me back loads of cool spices from Grenada. I'm dying to go, to see for myself. Hope you enjoy it!

cartoon Jun 6th 2009 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada (Post 7630793)
I haven't done this, but apparently it's cheap and easy to grab a cruise from here to some of the other islands. I know some people who did it for 3 days. I think they booked through a travel agent. It's something I'd like to do sometime.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up doing... some of us may want to copy ;)

I think the 3 day cruise happens once a year. I went this year with my mum and the outlaw (sorry mother in law). It was my first cruise and I was surprised that I enjoyed it. You don't get much time to see the islands though. I heard that they might be doing another one in August but it isn't confirmed yet.

cartoon Jun 6th 2009 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Ikon (Post 7636710)
Really?
What about Tobago - any info on that?

We've been to Grenada, St Vincent and St Lucia before so didn't want to repeat those. Might investigate flying up to Antigua too, although have a feeling it might be similar to here?

I really liked Tobago. I went there last June for a week.
We were staying in a private villa in the middle of the island. It was very remote but we never felt unsafe anywhere on the island.
It is very quiet, completely different from Barbados. Amazing bird life and scenery. We just flew with Liat which isn't always cheap but I did get the accommodation through work (74GBP for the week)

Foxy_fromCanada Jun 6th 2009 11:22 am

Thanks for the info, Cartoon. I didn't realize the 3-day cruise might only happen once a year. Who did you book it through?

take care,
F

karibspices Jun 9th 2009 8:12 pm

Why not Dominica?
I did a write up of my trip to Dom:
HERE

I've been to Bequia, it's nice, but also very very touristy too. But it has great history and nice views.

Tobago is also nice and it caters to tourists so its safer than Trinidad by far.

I've heard mixed reviews on Aruba.

Ikon Jun 9th 2009 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by karibspices (Post 7649681)
Why not Dominica?
I did a write up of my trip to Dom:
HERE

I've been to Bequia, it's nice, but also very very touristy too. But it has great history and nice views.

Tobago is also nice and it caters to tourists so its safer than Trinidad by far.

I've heard mixed reviews on Aruba.

Oh, that's a great write-up, I hadn't seen that! Makes it sound worth investigating, and I haven't been before so would be somewhere new. Thanks so much, building up quite a list of options now. Exciting!! :)

Sunniebgi Jun 10th 2009 3:37 am

the 3 day cruise that you are talking about only happens if the Barbados Tourism Authority wants it to and the cruise line is willing. it happened in 2007 at the end of the Cricket world cup because the ship (at that time Carnival Destiny) was here being used as a hotel and had part of a week left on the contract before it had to go back to San Juan). this year, the Carnival Victory was used and it was a joint thing between the BTA, Carnival Cruise Lines and Foster & Ince Cruise Service/CruiseWorld. While it is popular, it may or may not ever happen again.. it's one of those wait and see things..

There are ships, like the Victory that will do 7 night cruises from Barbados (they do this year round).. not cheap and cheerful, but moderately prices. other cruise lines do these types of cruises during the Winter Caribbean Cruise Season (Dec to April). others do "one off" cruises (only happens once, maybe twice during the same season.

We have been to Bequia and totally enjoyed it.. the last time was about 4 years ago, and I've understood it's gotten more touristy, but it is still worth a visit. We stayed in a house called Casablanca, managed by the owners of Kingsville Beach Hotel.. basic but nice.

Hubby just got back from a quick over night to Tobago with his brothers (long story but looking for a fishing boat). DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL!!.. Locals unmannerly.. people you would have thought wanted business, bars / restaurants, not interested in opening or in service..

anyway.. it's not cheap to get "there" from here anymore, but try to visit the other islands to get a real sense of what you have in Barbados.

zanne Jun 10th 2009 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 7650592)
anyway.. it's not cheap to get "there" from here anymore, but try to visit the other islands to get a real sense of what you have in Barbados.

In my mind the Caribbean as a region, which we here in Barbados are a part of, and each of the countries that make up the region, all have something to offer. A one night trip to any of these islands cannot certainly be representative of the entire place. If you travel seeking to compare your destination to where you live be it the US, Barbados, Canada, UK... I suspect that you will always find points of contrasts and comparisons, things you like and dislike.

Intra- Caribbean travel could certainly be more affordable...

Sunniebgi Jun 10th 2009 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by zanne (Post 7651464)
In my mind the Caribbean as a region, which we here in Barbados are a part of, and each of the countries that make up the region, all have something to offer. A one night trip to any of these islands cannot certainly be representative of the entire place. If you travel seeking to compare your destination to where you live be it the US, Barbados, Canada, UK... I suspect that you will always find points of contrasts and comparisons, things you like and dislike.

Intra- Caribbean travel could certainly be more affordable...

HI Zanne,

I totally agree. it's interesting though that people from Barbados travel to places like Bequia and other smaller islands and will come back and say things like " that was Barbados 20, 30, 40 years ago".

As an American, I find it very difficult even today to not compare Barbados with things I'm used to from there, but the funny thing is now I go back to the US and wonder how come it can be more like Barbados.

I've been to several of the islands, mostly on one day visits on cruise ships, and for sure you need more time. and it is a real shame that the air fare costs so much to get to the other islands from Barbados.

I think the biggest thing is when ex-pats start complaining about things here, a visit to another island would certainly "wake them up" to what they have here and what they wouldn't get there.

having said that, when we first visited bequia our kids loved it because of the channels we could get on the TV, that we couldn't get in Barbados (at that time).

cartoon Oct 16th 2009 1:20 pm

I know it has been a long time, but I hear there is another cruise on the 1st December. Not sure where it is going as I read that Carnival are no longer going to Antigua because of fighting between passengers and local taxi drivers. (That was in last weeks Sunday Times)

Originally Posted by cartoon (Post 7639673)
I think the 3 day cruise happens once a year. I went this year with my mum and the outlaw (sorry mother in law). It was my first cruise and I was surprised that I enjoyed it. You don't get much time to see the islands though. I heard that they might be doing another one in August but it isn't confirmed yet.

neal brown Oct 16th 2009 6:44 pm

Trinidad or Tobago is the worst places i have been i would not recommend them to nobody,the best thing to do is go to Going Places Travel and you can book a trip with the new ferry go to St.Vincent and visit the Grenadines islands,if something happen to you in Trinidad or Tobago you will loose all your rights as a visitor matter of fact everybody try to get money out of you even the police so if you decide Trini which hardly have a proper beach and lets say you get into a traffic accident they will lock you up untill you pass some money.