Visiting in Jan

Old Aug 4th 2017, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Sunseawaves is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting in Jan

Hello, we are looking at visiting in January 2018, potentially staying in the Saint Peter part of the island.
Can you tell me how easy /safe/cheap it is to hire a car? Are buses reasonable and generally reliable?
What as would you say the top ten things to do are?
We do not like 'chavvy' type tourist things, we like to experience culture, real life, wildlife, we don't like night club type areas etc.
Finally, anyone know of anyone who does wedding assistance put there? Nothing crazy, just paperwork and ceremony on the beach as there will probably only be five of us.

Thanks in advance.
P.s if anyone is missing home, don't as August so far has been wind, rain and cold enough for coats!!
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

beachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting in Jan

Welcome to the forum Sunseawaves... there is a lot of info in this forum and you will discover that once you get the chance to do some searching... In the meantime, here are few bits of info that you might find useful.
Car hire - Drive-A-Matic Car Rentals Barbados
Buses - run up and down the coast between Speightstown and Bridgetown at very regular intervals and you don't usually need to wait any more than 10 minutes. It costs Bds$2 each time you get on.
Things to do - I Love This Rock Barbados
Things to do - https://www.lonelyplanet.com/barbado...o/a/poi/357964
Wedding planning - Barbados Wedding Planners

I am sure others will reply with more info.
Good luck - have fun in January.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 10:46 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sunseawaves and welcome to the forum

Your questions are quite general but I see Beachseeker has done a great job covering more information. Take a look through previous forum posts and you are going to pick up loads more information.

Don't worry about coming back and asking loads more questions we are all here giving our time to help. It will be helpful to be very specific on your questions that way you will get a greater response
Old Oct 8th 2017, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Sunseawaves is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello both, so we are actually booked to come in 3 weeks time! All the wedding stuff is sorted, turns out all you need is your British passport and birth certificate. Who knew it would be that simple! I looked at the links so have some ideas. Car rental is still a struggle as i am finding prices are varying massively so i am going to speak to the hotel when we get there for help. We only want to go to Andromeda gardens and the animal flower caves by private car. Everything else we think we will get the bus.
My next task is working out how much money to take over. Can i take just USD or is it Barbados USD in some places only? Seen travel agents here promoting a Barbados USD.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 12:08 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunseawaves
Hello both, so we are actually booked to come in 3 weeks time! All the wedding stuff is sorted, turns out all you need is your British passport and birth certificate. Who knew it would be that simple! I looked at the links so have some ideas. Car rental is still a struggle as i am finding prices are varying massively so i am going to speak to the hotel when we get there for help. We only want to go to Andromeda gardens and the animal flower caves by private car. Everything else we think we will get the bus.
My next task is working out how much money to take over. Can i take just USD or is it Barbados USD in some places only? Seen travel agents here promoting a Barbados USD.
Hey Sunsea great to see it is all going well.
I would highly recommend going to Harrison caves its amazing! For me the Flower caves were a - if you only want to see a few places and don't need the hire car why not go on a day round the island trip with one of the taxi drivers many of them do it. I am sure if you get the right one and want to go to Harrison Caves they will also wait for you here. I don't have someone I can recommend right now but there will be loads on here who do. Are you going with a tour company or independently if so then you could also get the same driver to pick you up from hotel.

Re money you use either US or BDS you will get change in BDS. If you have pounds many of the taxi drivers love to pay in that or give you a good exchange rate as its difficult to get English money if you want to travel. I am not sure of the current rates but others can tell you that

Dips