British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/visa-778104/)

coully12 Nov 19th 2012 1:50 pm

visa

Hi We are currently living in Barbados and entered on a 3 month holiday Visa we hope to extend for another 3 months ... then return back to the uk for a few weeks then come back again to Barbados is this possible? I understand as a uk passport holder you can only stay 6 months in the year? I'm a little confused can anyone help me?

Serendipidy Nov 20th 2012 10:32 pm

Re: visa

Its a lottery... will all depend on your circumstances age and reasons for returning... no guarantees but there seems to be a pattern of maximum of 6 months out of 12 months granted

coully12 Nov 21st 2012 12:01 pm

thank You.

Sunniebgi Nov 21st 2012 12:41 pm

please understand clearly.. you aren't LIVING here.. you are on holiday.. for 3months maybe, but it's still holiday.. Living implies that you maybe paying rent, working etc.. which you may or may not be doing.

and as Dipty says.. there is no guarantee that you will get an initial extension of another 3 months (funny if you have already been here 3 mths, it means that you got 3 mths on entry, which is not necessarily the usual thing (it's normally 28 days) and after 6mths, you can't be guaranteed that you would be allowed to return for more than that 28day return time.

I wouldn't put down any roots or leave anything here when you head back home, if I were you..

I'm just being realistic..

Serendipidy Nov 21st 2012 1:58 pm

Sunnie has a good point there.. you should never repeat you are living in Barbados.. you have been allowed to visit.. imagine if someone just came to UK or US and presumed to live there because they had been allowed to visit for 3 months? ...please note that sunnie is absolutely right about leaving nothing behind.. if you come back in and are refused you will not be allowed back for a while.. if you do get in and ask for an extension then they can refuse you ..tell you to leave the island immediately and not be allowed to return for a year.. this is exactly the same in UK (although i think you cant return for 2 years in UK once status is denied)

Sunniebgi Nov 21st 2012 2:08 pm

currently have a Barbadian friend who is married to a Brit/Bajan.. the whole family moved back to the UK a year ago.. hubby has been going back and forth, due to business in Barbados.. unfortunately on the last trip, they realized he had maxed out on his totally of 6mths in the UK.. and he stated he was living there.. as did the wife.. he has been denied the right to enter into Britain until he has his correct Visa to actually live there.. and he could be denied..

Never assume that you can live anywhere in the world except your country of birth.. (and even then.. that can be called into question.. trust me.. there is another case like that currently in Barbados..)

coully12 Nov 21st 2012 7:01 pm

Ok Thanks I'm here with the view of staying if I can I have my own business in the uk so I understand i can register the business here and apply for a work permit this visit is a trail basis.. Thanks for the info

coully12 Nov 21st 2012 7:06 pm

wrong choice of words.. Living here no offence meant by that.

Serendipidy Nov 21st 2012 9:26 pm

Coully there was no offence given or take i just meant for your own sake dont mention that you are living in barbados as it will cause you some issues both in barbados and uk