Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Using a laptop in Barbados and connecting to the Internet

Using a laptop in Barbados and connecting to the Internet

Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

sunriseinsummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using a laptop in Barbados and connecting to the Internet

Can anyone please tell me if there is a special plug I would need to get in order to charge my laptop which I purchased in the UK (240volt).

Also, who would I need to contact regarding broadband??

Thx for any info. Janet
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:03 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using a laptop in Barbados and connecting to the Internet

Hi Sunrise

Im using my english laptop now with just the standard travel adaptop (USA one with 2 pins) - have used it so for years now and dont get any problems with it.

If you have wireless you might be lucky to pick up a router if not you can either buy freemotion cards for dial up or order broadband but will warn you its a year contract and takes 6-8 weeks to be installed (last time i heard) depending on where you live and of course you would need a lan line which is a $600 deposit if you are not resident. Telebarbados might be doing some shorter deals but Cable and Wireless (now called LIME cos thats what they are best at) is the main service provider.

Hope this helps

Dipidy
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Your laptop will be fine. You'll just need the plug adapter as the outlets here are the same as North America.

Internet is available from Lime (formerly Cable & Wireless) as well as Telebarbados. There is a 3rd provider, which I forget at the moment, but I'm sure someone will chime in to mention it.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:08 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

lol foxy i guess both of us are on the same time zone check out time stamp lol

Dipidy
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ha! Of course we are... we're both here, aren't we? (now is that a cryptic question or what?!)
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:14 pm

I meant mentally as both are posts were 8.03 and said more or less the same thing

Dipdiy
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I get ya. I was being matrix-y.