Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Urgent Obstetrician recommendation needed in Barbados

Urgent Obstetrician recommendation needed in Barbados

Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

songbird835 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent Obstetrician recommendation needed in Barbados

Well heres a little bit i know if it helps any, i am a nurse so get to see the other side of them too......Dr Shepherd...well not good, likes to take ypur money, send you for multiple tests that you have to pay for, quite unnecessarily, and like you say, like a conveyor belt, def not a first choice, carlos chase...keep walking, dr wayne welch....good, a bit rough at times, bedside manner is abrupt but he is good at what he does, dr best, thorough but doesnt work qeh so you have to go to bayview or transfer to another dr at the end which kinda negates goin to him but he is good, dr Hugh Thomas....superb, the best there is....
Old Jun 12th 2010, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

HeavenSent21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Urgent Obstetrician recommendation needed in Barbados

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Yeah i had Dr Scholar Shepherd as my gynae not for pregnancy

I was unfortunately misdiagnosed and nearly ended up having a hysterectomy but i guess that could have happened with any consultant. She was also quite jobsworthy and was only interested in me having an operation and paying for it - i didint feel cared for and i was in agony - she even refused to give me sufficient pain control - no idea why but i got a brilliant GP who stepped up and supplied.

She herself is a really nice woman but i find her delivery jaded and her service to be conveyor belt - her surgery is quite old and tired looking.

My best friend had Nigel Best as her consultant and i was present when he delivered my godson and although very quiet he seemed real nice - he is in belleville

Just my personal observations maybe others have different experiences they can offer - in my opinon avoid Dr Carlos Chase - what a bloody nightmare that was!!

Well I am scared now because I feel like I have made an appointment with a scarecrow. Your story horrifies me.

What about Dr. Wayne Welch in Bank Hall? I s he better?
Old Jun 12th 2010, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Urgent Obstetrician recommendation needed in Barbados

Originally Posted by songbird835
Well heres a little bit i know if it helps any, i am a nurse so get to see the other side of them too......Dr Shepherd...well not good, likes to take ypur money, send you for multiple tests that you have to pay for, quite unnecessarily, and like you say, like a conveyor belt, def not a first choice, carlos chase...keep walking, dr wayne welch....good, a bit rough at times, bedside manner is abrupt but he is good at what he does, dr best, thorough but doesnt work qeh so you have to go to bayview or transfer to another dr at the end which kinda negates goin to him but he is good, dr Hugh Thomas....superb, the best there is....
Thanks to songbird835 and serndipidy for helping. Your experience really got me to thinking. I'll probably switch to Dr. Welch since my family member sees him and I know he's good from her experience. Thanks again!!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

When dr Thomas was away Dr welch covered for him so i saw him a lot, as i was seeing drs every weeks as a high risk pregnancy and i found him great, he had to admit me n he was through , kept me well informed at all stages and everything
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Urgent Obstetrician recommendation needed in Barbados

When dr Thomas was away Dr welch covered for him so i saw him a lot, as i was seeing drs every weeks as a high risk pregnancy and i found him great, he had to admit me n he was through , kept me well informed at all stages and everything
Thanks alot. I'll schedule ASAP.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HeavenSent21
Thanks alot. I'll schedule ASAP.
what about blood tests? i am very scared for needles and i'm more scared not because this would be my first appointment at approx. 12 weeks because i was unsure being pregnant and was looking for a good ob/gyn. How many should I expect to have at this stage at my first appointment?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point

I had Dr Thomas too, I found him to be a very good Dr too. If you're looking for hand-holding and a great bedside manner you won't find it in him though. I finally made him laugh at about week 34 (something about "get this out of me now!), but if what counts is making sure you and baby are healthy then I would highly recommend him.

Blood tests, I only remember having one done early on, but babies eat your brain, and I can't remember. Just discuss everything upfront - the nurses at Dr T's office were really nice.

Originally Posted by HeavenSent21
what about blood tests? i am very scared for needles and i'm more scared not because this would be my first appointment at approx. 12 weeks because i was unsure being pregnant and was looking for a good ob/gyn. How many should I expect to have at this stage at my first appointment?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

HotMama is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone....new member and gonna be new first time mama..just readin all advice..gettin bit worried, got an appointment 2day with a Tracy Archer ?? Dont see her name anywhere on this forum ?? Has anyone heard of her ?? The appointment is 2day , so will let u know how i get on..and we can add her to the good or bad list But if anyone has heard anything please let me know good or bad. Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2010, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Dr Archer, if am not mistaken is now working at Dr Thomas office, she is really nice and works in partnership with dr thomas, if it is the same dr i think it is?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 1:40 am
Just Joined

HotMama is an unknown quantity at this point

Dr Archer, if am not mistaken is now working at Dr Thomas office, she is really nice and works in partnership with dr thomas, if it is the same dr i think it is?
Hi there, yes i went last week and you are right same office as Dr Thomas, and she is real nice, not sure if she is new to the scene but would def recommend her. Thanks for your reply.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

tng1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Has anyone got any other comments on Dr Tracey Archer, Dr Wayne Welch or Dr Hugh Thomas. I need to make an appointment with a gyno and am trying to get the best one. Unfortunately Juliet Skinner is not taking on anyone else. It feels like such a scary decision.

T. x
Old Jul 14th 2010, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry me again

Anyone had any experience with Dr Eltora Bennett?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Gravy is an unknown quantity at this point

All of those are "good" doctors with established practices.
But it can be a very personal thing.
If you don't like the vibe/office/personality of the first doctor you try there is nothing tying you to him/her.
Just go to another. You don't need a referral. Not scary at all
Old Sep 24th 2010, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

MLGONH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all!

I have just found out I'm pregnant. Having recently moved to Barbados I'm looking for recommendations for an OB/GYN.

I have visited Dr. Nigel Best and I think he is nice and knowledgeable, but for my first pregnancy I would love to have a Doctor with a warmer/nicer bedside manner.

I'm thinking about Tracy Archer. I'd be interested in knowing if in your experiences you found her nice and proactive to information/questions.

Hotmama: also, would you have her number at hand? I've found this one 4262752, but no one picks up.

Thanks to you all!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

I had an appointment with Dr Archer and she was very nice. It was regarding pregnancy but I would definitely use her once I’m pregnant. Felt real comfortable with her and she seemed very knowledgeable.

Hope that helps,
T. x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.