British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Urgent Obstetrician recommendation needed in Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/urgent-obstetrician-recommendation-needed-barbados-637611/)

rossandyve Oct 26th 2009 4:10 pm

Urgent Obstetrician recommendation needed in Barbados

Hi there

I am 14 weeks pregnant and am in Barbados till next February with my husband as my dad is here having a heart bypass.

I really need to find a good obstetrician who is modern and has a good bedside manner (being a first time mom). Already had my first lot of scans and blood tests in the UK and everything is looking good so far.

Dr Juliet Skinner seemed the best obstetrician on the island, but is no longer taking new patients due to her IVF clinic. I so far have been told of Dr Carlos Chase and Dr Nigel Best, does anyone have any views on them or recommendation of other obstetricians i would be ever so grateful.

Thanks so much

shines Oct 26th 2009 4:21 pm

Re: Urgent Obstetrician recommendation needed in Barbados

I used Dr Scholar-Shepherd when I had my daughter here 2 yrs ago, I found her to be very down to earth and easy to talk to/get along with but it is all down to personalitites.

Scholar-Shepherd A Dr Obs-Gynae Shekinah Medical Centre Incorporated Wildey, , Barbados - (246) 426-9983

Good luck and I hope your dad recovers well.

S

rossandyve Oct 26th 2009 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by shines (Post 8046236)
I used Dr Scholar-Shepherd when I had my daughter here 2 yrs ago, I found her to be very down to earth and easy to talk to/get along with but it is all down to personalitites.

Scholar-Shepherd A Dr Obs-Gynae Shekinah Medical Centre Incorporated Wildey, , Barbados - (246) 426-9983

Good luck and I hope your dad recovers well.

S

Thank you so much for coming back to me so quickly. I really appreciate it I will give her a call.

My dad has his op tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Sunniebgi Oct 26th 2009 9:26 pm

Dr. Maurice Smith is who I use. He is located at Delaware Clinic at Jemmotts Lane, which is just around the corner from Bayview hospital and just down the street from QEH.

I've used him since I moved here 17 years ago and he has delivered all 3 of my children (at Bayview).

You can try him - telephone 246/436-1724. Jan is his secretary (or has been since I've been there.. haven't been there in a year or so).. you can do a search on here with his name, as I've recommended him before.

I actually have never heard of the other 2 you mention (doesn't mean anything.. just that I haven't heard of them). I know Juliet Skinner and it's too bad she isn't taking new OB/gyn patients.. but she has a great thing going with the IVF Clinic. (good for medical tourism in Barbados)

Two others would be Dr Donn Greaves and Dr Shirley Jhagroo

rossandyve Oct 27th 2009 3:06 am

Thanks so much for the information. It's great to get a couple of names to contact and from people that have had actual birthing experience with the doctor. I will make sure to call him also great to get the number and secretary's details.

Thanks again for your help so very much appreciated.

sandgirl Oct 28th 2009 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 8046861)
Dr. Maurice Smith is who I use. He is located at Delaware Clinic at Jemmotts Lane, which is just around the corner from Bayview hospital and just down the street from QEH.

I've used him since I moved here 17 years ago and he has delivered all 3 of my children (at Bayview).

You can try him - telephone 246/436-1724. Jan is his secretary (or has been since I've been there.. haven't been there in a year or so).. you can do a search on here with his name, as I've recommended him before.

I actually have never heard of the other 2 you mention (doesn't mean anything.. just that I haven't heard of them). I know Juliet Skinner and it's too bad she isn't taking new OB/gyn patients.. but she has a great thing going with the IVF Clinic. (good for medical tourism in Barbados)

Two others would be Dr Donn Greaves and Dr Shirley Jhagroo

I also had Dr. Maurice Smith as my doctor -delivered both my children (2 years + 2 months), he is excellent and saved my firstborn with a emergency C-section (cord). His office is not modern :-( but its his years of experience I trust. I do recommend him.

rossandyve Oct 28th 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks for the additional information regarding Dr Maurice Smith. This is really great to know other people's positive experiences.

Sunniebgi Oct 29th 2009 1:02 am

let me just say this about Dr. Smith.. he is an older gentleman.. been in this business a LOOOONNNNNGGGGG time. has about 6 children of his own (I think that is correct) and has grans.. and has birthed many babies. his office is older, not modern and basic.. basically it's the receptionist, the nurse and the doctor..two exam rooms.. that's it. some people are a little put off by his bedside manner but, if you don't mind a bit of straight forward talk.. he is a really great doctor. He has at least one other doctor, Dr. Donn Greaves, who is usually his referring doctor if he is off island, but I also remember being sent to Dr. Jaghroo as well, at least once.

Hope things work out for you.

Gravy Oct 29th 2009 2:11 pm

I hate to sound like a groupie but I recommend Dr Smith also.
I have visited Dr Nigel Best, his office does seem more modern, but also very busy.

MLGONH Mar 20th 2010 1:15 pm

I will be making an appointment with Dr Nigel Best for this coming week. Have any of you visited him and what was your experience? Thanks!

Serendipidy Mar 20th 2010 8:06 pm

yep i was there at the birth of my godson a few months ago so saw him in action - he seems real sweet he dont say much but on the day he was very encouraging (he was acutally on leave but as she was private he attended as planned)

MLGONH Mar 20th 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks very. That's very encouraging and helpful :)

songbird835 Mar 26th 2010 7:24 pm

i can honestly say DR thomas is great, truly great!! he looked after me well as a first time mother of twins, but his reputation in the hospital is exemplary! a lot of the drs go to him so that says something, he works bay view as well as qeh,

HeavenSent21 Jun 10th 2010 11:29 pm

Hi I am 12 weeks pregnant and I would like to know if there is anyone who have visited Dr. Shepard and what was the experience since I am scheduled to meet with this doctor for my first appointment.

Thanks

Serendipidy Jun 11th 2010 10:45 am

Yeah i had Dr Scholar Shepherd as my gynae not for pregnancy

I was unfortunately misdiagnosed and nearly ended up having a hysterectomy but i guess that could have happened with any consultant. She was also quite jobsworthy and was only interested in me having an operation and paying for it - i didint feel cared for and i was in agony - she even refused to give me sufficient pain control - no idea why but i got a brilliant GP who stepped up and supplied.

She herself is a really nice woman but i find her delivery jaded and her service to be conveyor belt - her surgery is quite old and tired looking.

My best friend had Nigel Best as her consultant and i was present when he delivered my godson and although very quiet he seemed real nice - he is in belleville

Just my personal observations maybe others have different experiences they can offer - in my opinon avoid Dr Carlos Chase - what a bloody nightmare that was!!