Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Update on Immigration status - married to Bajan

Update on Immigration status - married to Bajan

Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough
Default Update on Immigration status - married to Bajan

Hey guys,

An update on my stuation that may help others in the same position.

I married my Bajan husband nearly 2 years ago and applied for Citizenship a few months later on. Had a call from Immigration yesterday re a letter they sent me in January that was returned to them (not entirely sure why). Went in today to collect this letter and it was to grant me a 3 year permit to work and reside here whilst my citizenship is being dealt with...

The guy said that this is what they are doing now for recently married couples and my Citizenship will not be done until this this 3 year permit ends but that in the meantime it allows me to carry on and work here. The permit cost $800 BBDS.

Left Immigration walking on air, now to find a job...

S
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Update on Immigration status - married to Bajan

That sounds like fairly good news, good luck with the job hunt!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:07 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear some good news from immigration - good luck and update us when ya providing excellent customer service somewhere shines x
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:33 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Shines that is fabulous..

YEAH!!!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Great news!!!! Very happy for you, Shines!

Foxy
Old Mar 10th 2010, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

bajanla is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Suecell!

Good luck with the job hunt, its great news.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point

That is indeed great news!!... I must give them a call and see if I can get the same now. It makes so much sense to be allowed work.... To be honest, that is all I care about at the moment, whenever citizenship is forthcoming doesn't bother me too much..... I hope this is a new policy that has come into effect, across the board, and not just something that was done on an officer's whim, in your case!!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Tizzy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I had my letter saying the same at beg of Feb, I have been married more than 2 years.
After paying the $800 I was told that an official document will be raised which doesn't take long at all. Does anyone know how long not long is in Barbados???? lol I'm still waiting and apparently need this document for an NI number.
I too am very happy with this result....
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

If my experience with my citizenship is any indicator-- the time from receiving the notice to paying the money was as fast as I could drive there-- the time however until getting the photo document was about 3 months. This was 2 years ago.

I would suggest that you go with the document that you have now, associated receipts and all of your citizenship documentation and go over to NIS and see what they will do for you. Your NIS ID is directly linked to PAYE and taxes, the National ID is linked to the electoral board for voting registration, and as well, I believe they use the photo certificate from immigration to verify your identity before giving you a Barbados ID. NIS is in the business of collecting revenue, ie, if you want to work and pay taxes they will take the $$$.

NIS is pleasant and they move fast, it's worth a shot...GL!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey Zanne,

Nice to see you back and thanks for the advice, I will take a trip to see them!

S
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Hey Shines, thanks! I lurk around these days and don't say much! But I know what you all (who are now in the same boat as I was 2 years ago) are going through so I feel like it is important to help when I can.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in Immigration today to renew my visa extension. I enquired about this new visa for people in the "citizenship by marriage" process. Unfortunately, I can't get it yet . They are working their way up the line and are still only dealing with people who made their applications in 2007!! Could be a while before they get to me (having only made the application 3 months ago)..... Disappointing!!.... But at least I know I will get it eventually...... They said they will be sending out letters to people who they are ready to deal with.... So keep watching the post!!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I applied for citizenship in August 2008 so you may be closer than you think
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

I applied in August 2006 and got my citizenship in May 2008, so I have hard time believing they have only gotten to 2007 in the last 2 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.