British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Uk solicitor finding work in Barbados!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/uk-solicitor-finding-work-barbados-614058/)

Triana Jul 30th 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Uk solicitor finding work in Barbados!!

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada (Post 7767771)
That's correct - but it means you'd likely be treated as such as well, and given a short time to stay as a visitor.

Good luck,
Foxy

Foxy (or indeed anyone else who's reading this)

I'm hoping to try to spend around nine months of the year in Barbados in a long-term rental appartment. I wouldn't be looking for work in Barbados (not eligible) and could demonstrate a reasonable bank balance (due to selling up elsewhere). Do you think if I showed the authorities the rental agreement (before I signed it) they would consider giving me permission at that stage to stay for the full nine months? It's rather chicken and egg - I don't want to sign up for nine months rental if I can't stay there for at length of time but I do understand that I probably wouldn't stand a chance of getting the permission upfront without a long-term rental agreement!!!!

Triana :confused:

Sunniebgi Jul 31st 2009 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Triana (Post 7799358)

I'm hoping to try to spend around nine months of the year in Barbados in a long-term rental appartment. I wouldn't be looking for work in Barbados (not eligible) and could demonstrate a reasonable bank balance (due to selling up elsewhere). Do you think if I showed the authorities the rental agreement (before I signed it) they would consider giving me permission at that stage to stay for the full nine months? It's rather chicken and egg - I don't want to sign up for nine months rental if I can't stay there for at length of time but I do understand that I probably wouldn't stand a chance of getting the permission upfront without a long-term rental agreement!!!!

I don't actually think immigration cares whether you have a long term rental agreement or not. It's more they want to make sure you can afford to be here for that long and that you are not here to try to find work etc. Likely you would have to come in as a 28day visitor, like every other visitor and then go to immigration for an extension. Trust me.. if you had a long term rental and they told you to leave tomorrow.. doubtful you would see any of your money back from the long term rental.

Triana Jul 31st 2009 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 7799756)
I don't actually think immigration cares whether you have a long term rental agreement or not. It's more they want to make sure you can afford to be here for that long and that you are not here to try to find work etc. Likely you would have to come in as a 28day visitor, like every other visitor and then go to immigration for an extension. Trust me.. if you had a long term rental and they told you to leave tomorrow.. doubtful you would see any of your money back from the long term rental.

Thanks, that helps puts it in perspective. So I guess I have to try to first demonstrate to immigration that I can afford to be there and then find the rental.

sumoir Jul 31st 2009 10:49 am

The maximum immigration will give you when you apply for an extension is 6 months. I have been here for nearly a year now and have been given 6 months each time I applied (after a very long wait). That just means you have to leave the island, which could be a short trip to one of the other islands for a weekend, and then back here. So you could commit to 9 months rental and plan a short break in the middle. Immigration won't be influenced by a rental agreement, they will just stick to the rules.

shines Jul 31st 2009 1:00 pm

You don't need to leave the Island if you are applying for an extension...

If your extension is denied then you can leave the Island and come back in on a new entry stamp and then try to go for another extension when that 28day stamp runs out...

Triana Jul 31st 2009 1:32 pm

Sumoir and Shines, thanks for the advice. That was really helpful, Triana

Serendipidy Aug 1st 2009 11:23 am

This thread has gone way off topic lol but let me just add to it as it seems to be closing on ths subject - if you take on a 9 month rental and cant stay that long they cant exactly sue you if you are not there - i am presuming of course that you would not pay up front for the whole 9 months as no tellign what immigration will do nowadays.

Ensure the contract has only a 1 month termination notice and that will be your only risk of loss then

Foxy_fromCanada Aug 4th 2009 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Triana (Post 7799358)

Sorry I didn't get to your question in time, Triana, but as you can see there are tons of folks on here with great information who are willing to help. Hope all goes well for you.

Foxy