Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

UK entrance to Barbados 3 months or 6 months allowed??

UK entrance to Barbados 3 months or 6 months allowed??

Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:09 pm
GFA
Just Joined

GFA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK entrance to Barbados 3 months or 6 months allowed??

Well I see that Shawn Cumberbatch has followed up his initial story at the weekend. In case you haven't see it, have a look at the main article on the back page (Margaret Meade makes quite a robust defence in favour of the Immigration Department).

http://edition.pagesuite-professiona...eda53c7a&skip=

It would be interesting to know if this is being picked up in the media e.g. Brass Tacks perhaps. Anyone?

Last edited by GFA; Aug 10th 2011 at 7:25 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

evie202 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
I just need to say this. (probably said it before somewhere) I am an American who met (not on the sandy beaches of Barbados but at cold snowy night in North Carolina at a company Christmas Party) and married a Barbados Citizen 19 years ago. I was able to obtain the needed documentation quite quickly (cause it was possible at the time.. funny enough.. the same party was in power then that is now... obviously different players). I haven't had a problem working, or with immigration etc..

The world changes.. unfortunately.. Fast Forward 15 years or so.. and Illegal Immigration into many countries causes a huge problem for the local population and subsequently causes problems for those people who want to obtain the rights to live in certain countries legally. (peter pays for paul, paul pays for all)

The Cayman Islands threw out whole wash-pan of expats a few years ago (I know some who got thrown out.. UK and US) if your work permit was coming up for renewal.. don't even try to get it done.. just pack and go.. Australia doesn't allow anyone in to work, unless you can prove you are the only one who can do that job.. and then come.. teach a local how to do that job and leave. (not sure if that is the case but it was about 20 years ago when a good friend of mine tried to move there, open a business and work).

No.. I don't agree how things are handled.. but it's not just Expats who get it.. Bajans get that same attitude.. and they get that same run around (wrote that in another post as well).. Hubby had to get his passport renewed rather quickly a few years back.. told one thing at the door, then another on the inside, then went to pay and was told something completely different.. happens in Business, with schools, all over.. (but that's another issue).

Each person on this forum is going to have a different story.. good, bad, middle of the road, rose colored (the American version) glasses.

just remember.. This is not our country.. Each country has their own set, and it might not sit well with what we actually want.. but that's how it goes..

Regarding the comment about the act mentioned above as being "old and out of date".. it's still an act or law.. needs to be taken further than just this board.. or just that immigration officer...
Regarding the comment about the act mentioned above as being "old and out of date".. it's still an act or law.. needs to be taken further than just this board.. or just that immigration officer...

Sunniebgi .... if having been treated like s**t for over a year by about 5 different immi officers and told to go home , you have it in you to take it further , then you are a stronger person than i . Quite frankly Barbados isn't worth it , there are nicer , friendlier places to live and i won't waste my time any longer , seeya Bim !
Old Aug 10th 2011, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GFA
Well I see that Shawn Cumberbatch has followed up his initial story at the weekend. In case you haven't see it, have a look at the main article on the back page (Margaret Meade makes quite a robust defence in favour of the Immigration Department).

http://edition.pagesuite-professiona...eda53c7a&skip=

It would be interesting to know if this is being picked up in the media e.g. Brass Tacks perhaps. Anyone?
GFA , we are quoted in this piece in Barbados Today , if Margaret Meade thinks our complaints are ' trivial ' and 'silly ' it just shows how little respect she has for our struggle and how shortsighted she is , she should have been there when i told my lovely Bajan staff they were jobless !
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:43 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I have typed, deleted and retyped a response to Ms Meads comments then thought how can I follow the statement "They should NOT BE ALLOWED to attack Barbados Immigration"

Stone us, lock us up, bring out the water cannons - HOW DARE WE stand up for ourselves and the rights to pay for a Civil Service Provision - we are only foreigners after all - sneaks off into a corner and sits on naughty step for daring to think we are human beings
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
I have typed, deleted and retyped a response to Ms Meads comments then thought how can I follow the statement "They should NOT BE ALLOWED to attack Barbados Immigration"

Stone us, lock us up, bring out the water cannons - HOW DARE WE stand up for ourselves and the rights to pay for a Civil Service Provision - we are only foreigners after all - sneaks off into a corner and sits on naughty step for daring to think we are human beings

Hahahahahhahahahha ,!! my sentiments exactly !! We are the first people mentioned in this piece in Barbados Today , so we must be the people ' attacking ' Immigration , just because we have spoken out !! Ms Meads , is a little ignorant to the goings on methinks ...
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:16 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evie202
Hahahahahhahahahha ,!! my sentiments exactly !! We are the first people mentioned in this piece in Barbados Today , so we must be the people ' attacking ' Immigration , just because we have spoken out !! Ms Meads , is a little ignorant to the goings on methinks ...
I dont think she is ignorant of goings on at all - reading it made me feel i was right back there in the Immigration department being talked to like a nothing all over again ..... didint state her job did it - well its definitley not in the diplomatic service thats for sure
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

I dont think she is ignorant of goings on at all - reading it made me feel i was right back there in the Immigration department being talked to like a nothing all over again ..... didint state her job did it - well its definitley not in the diplomatic service thats for sure
True dat !
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:10 am
GFA
Just Joined

Originally Posted by evie202
GFA , we are quoted in this piece in Barbados Today , if Margaret Meade thinks our complaints are ' trivial ' and 'silly ' it just shows how little respect she has for our struggle and how shortsighted she is , she should have been there when i told my lovely Bajan staff they were jobless !
Hi Evie202 when I read the article, I realised that it made reference to you! I'm not surprised by Margaret Meade's comments unfortunately, and I suspect a lot more similar comments will be made by Bajans without thinking about the consequences to the island of not having 'foreigners' and their cash injection to assist the economy. I'm sorry you've had such a torrid time but I do wish you all the best for the future!!

Last edited by GFA; Aug 11th 2011 at 6:18 am.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:38 am
GFA
Just Joined

Barbados Today is continuing its coverage on this matter ...

http://edition.pagesuite-professiona...eda53c7a&skip= (page 3)
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:59 am

Really good news that discussions and clarification will be held - Lets just hope that any decisions made will be passed onto each and every Immigration officer so that there is at least consistency - the laws of each land are just that however when they are allowed to be intepreted by individuals responsible for the enforcement then this is where the confusion sets in.

Its a very good point that BA did not impose any restrictions in the reduction of months allowed on a ticket and would be really interesting to hear why Virgin alone did that and under whose advice.

I would suggest that anyone who has had issues with the Special Permit referred to for home owners should strike whilst the iron is hot and let Senator Husbands know of the issues - if you dont speak up now when people are listening then there is no point berating the issues later when the ear is closed.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Really good news that discussions and clarification will be held - Lets just hope that any decisions made will be passed onto each and every Immigration officer so that there is at least consistency - the laws of each land are just that however when they are allowed to be intepreted by individuals responsible for the enforcement then this is where the confusion sets in.

Its a very good point that BA did not impose any restrictions in the reduction of months allowed on a ticket and would be really interesting to hear why Virgin alone did that and under whose advice.

I would suggest that anyone who has had issues with the Special Permit referred to for home owners should strike whilst the iron is hot and let Senator Husbands know of the issues - if you dont speak up now when people are listening then there is no point berating the issues later when the ear is closed.
I totally agree , my goose is cooked , especially now i spoke up ! But please if you are having problems of this nature , speak up now while Senator Husbands appears to be listening , don't let the opportunity pass you by !
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:04 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

http://m.barbadostoday.bb/bbt/db_258...l=true#display

Makes for very interesting reading.. and there are 2 sides to every story.. the question is.. which is right..
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:46 pm

Cheese On Bread!!!! this is an inflammatory piece which I hope the people mentioned Stephen Monkman, Colin Parkinson, and Marc Egan get to read - I have just re read the piece where Mark Egan's comments clearly stated that although he had the priviledge of being able to stay in Barbados it had been a long and costly process costing $20,000 - that was merely his comment no complaint against the department as such.

I find it hard to believe that someone who would email a newspaper to voice their greivances and giving their name would knowingly be an illegal immigrant?? However I will point out AGAIN to individuals that when you request a status ie work permit etc to my knowledge you are supposed to leave the island whilst the decision is processed - Terry B mentioned he was extended by 13 months on awaiting his decision but I have not come across this luxury being afforded to anyone recently

Also I dont understand why the individuals are personally named and their situations put up for discussion yet the " senior Government sources and an official of the Immigration Department" is unnamed. Isnt it standard practice that if someone in a goverment paid position speaks on behalf of that department and gives out personal information on individuals that a name is supplied so that there is recourse should the individuals disagree?

I know that under the Data Protection Act (which it is my understanding that Barbados conform with) I am actually banned from discussing any information or clients that I might come across in a professional capacity(especially if in a government capacity where I have to sign non disclosure documentation) unless I am authorised by the appropriate governing body and am also liable to disclose myself as the authority giving out the information.

The people who have grievances with the department as expresed to Shawn Cumberbatch were prepared to be counted and knowingly gave their names it will not impress any future potential Foreign Investors that a government department will so freely rise to giving out individual case details including name company etc to anyone asking and not even provide a named source for accountability!

Is there an infrigement of human rights here? Can anyone ie my doctor, my lawyer, the immigration department, my employer just give a reporter all my personal details and then publish them because they didnt like something that was said? Is this information legal to give out? Obviously Shawn Cumberbatch has the right to publish whatever info he is given but did the person giving the info have that jurisdiction - is that the reason they are not named?

Last edited by Serendipidy; Aug 17th 2011 at 7:05 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

nilocp is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Serindipity I have read the article and am absolutely gob smacked!!!

I cannot believe that a 2 line e mail to Shawn Cumberbatch gets my name in Barbados today, and now my history with Immigration into the public domain.

My request to Shawn was to try and find the forum, which I did, but I happened to mention, quote

[I]' Hello Shawn, I have just your article about the present 'official' immigration policy regarding ex pats who own property in Barbados.

This is a great concern to us as we are just finishing a new build, which has cost a great deal of money, so we may both retire to Barbados.

Perhaps you could let me know where the relevant discussion forum may be found? []
'

I think it is totally unprofessional of Cumberbatch to 1) use my name in the public domain when it was a private email and 2) did so without any reference to me.

I am also amazed that an Immigration officer is allowed to discuss my private affairs with a journalist. I hope he had authority to do this? And then allowing it into the public domain. What is that all about??

Without going into details, the Immigration officer's statement is only partly true, but yes my work permit application was refused.

I have got over that and it doesnt stop me being in love with Barbados, and wanting to spend my retirement there.

Colin Parkinson
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:08 pm

Colin I have updated my response as you were posting - i too am wondering if this is legal or a breach of human rights for a government dept to do such things????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.