Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

UK entrance to Barbados 3 months or 6 months allowed??

UK entrance to Barbados 3 months or 6 months allowed??

Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:21 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default British Visitors to Barbados 3 months or 6 months allowed??

Some info here that thought you guys might find interesting. A few months ago I understand that Virgin were advising passengers at Gatwick that Barbados Immigration had requested that people only be able to buy 3 month tickets from UK to Barbados. In fact a friend of mine had a 6 month tickets and was told by Virgin staff at Gatwick that because she did not have official status in Barbados they would need to reduce the ticket to 3 months.

I have investigated further with Virgin in Barbados who informed that indeed immigration had told them both in Barbados and St Lucia to stop issuing 6 months tickets to those with no status ie married, work permit etc. However they said that this was a few months ago and that they had now gone back to issuing tickets without regard for status. I have contacted Virgin in UK who state they are not putting any restrictions on the tickets they sell but are aware there are immigration restrictions that might be emposed on entry into Barbados.

It is looking like if you were previously used to coming into Barbados for 6 months that imimgration are targetting those individuals and the likely amount of time to be given is 3 months - this is born out not only by the Virgin ticket situation I just alluded to but also many cases where people are only being given 3 months on visitors renewal.

I have advised several people when in Barbados not to expect 6 months just because you have a house there or have visited before for 6 months and on application they have indeed only been given 3.

The case seems very different for Canadian and American visitors with some Canadians I hear having been given 1 year.

Please keep these considerations in mind when planning for your next visits as the face of british visitors being welcomed with open arms for long periods of time has definitley changed.

There is an election next year and many locals I have chatted with have felt that the current government will not be re-elected however this does not mean that anything may change on the immigration front as countries all over the world are tightening up.

Last edited by Serendipidy; Aug 30th 2011 at 11:25 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK entrance to Barbados 3 months or 6 months allowed??

Yes, I've spoken to two people that have been asked to buy new tickets at the airport because they had booked for 6 months.

My one year visitors visa expires in August but I am back this month.

I did try and check with BA at Gatwick the other week but the queue was so long. Am flying back to Gatwick tomorrow from Madrid so will try and ask the question.

My one year visitors visa application took 15 months to get it in my passport and then I got about 4 months.....lol
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:31 am
Just Joined

juliettebreen is an unknown quantity at this point

Just before reading your thread, I was looking at all the new developments. Hundreds of new apartments, all apparently waiting buyers (mainly from the UK). Do prospective buyers realise that they will only be able to visit there homes for 3 months? I really think the Barbados Govt must make it law that sellers of property here let the prospective buyer know this fact.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:27 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way thats gonna happen cos the real estate is private commerce and immigration is government - any way that would be financial suicide and would be just too plain fair lol

These changes have only come about since this incumbent goverment the previous goverment was very pro foreign income and hence encouraged long term visitors - I for one feel that this current view on 3/6 months is so short sighted and the average bajan gonna suffer cos there is going to be less income to the island for no justified reason. I would say 95% of those who stay in Barbados have the money to stay and have no interest in working but they are justifiying their actions based on the 5%. However call me suspicious but think about it - if the bajan government drive away the foreign land and home owners they will force the homes onto the market at possibly knock down prices that can then be brought up - not by the average local - but those in government with the money to buy them hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by Serendipidy; Aug 30th 2011 at 11:24 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

juliettebreen is an unknown quantity at this point

If this has become the governments stance then that information needs to be shared with foreign investors. However many government officials there are with the money to buy some of these buildings they can't buy them all, there are so many!!! Even if the Bajan govt doesn't tell anyone the British and other embassys should be letting the susceptable Brits etc who think they will buy homes and retire here (6 months of the year) know that it is not possible!!!

As you say lets hope the next govt stops this short sighted policy.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:28 am
Just Joined

FionaJem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
Just wondered if you could clarify something for me. What happens if you stay 3 months and then go away to another island for a few days and then come back? Can you get another 3 months? Are you saying that that they will only grant 3 months at a time or are you saying they will only grant 3 month in any one year? Has anyone tested this?
Old Jul 30th 2011, 6:59 pm

It will all be dependent on the immigration officer you encounter - i would suspect that if you have been in the country in the previous 3 months they are likely to give you a minimum time ie a week or a month at the airport and say you have to go to immigration in town for an extension. When you go to immigration in town they will probably grill you about why and how you are able to be in Barbados and travel etc so it will depend on your answers and how they feel about them wether you would be extended again
Old Aug 6th 2011, 8:41 am
GFA
Just Joined

GFA is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been following this discussion for a while now with interest as I was unaware of the immigration issues (although I appreciate my situation is different, being a citizen). I am not sure whether members of this forum know but this matter has now been reported in Barbados Today and more importantly, this forum and discussion has been quoted!

http://edition.pagesuite-professiona...eda53c7a&skip= (see the article on the front page of the main paper (not the breaking news section), then turn to page 3)

All I can say is, well done for keeping people informed as to what's going on and more importantly keep the discussion going!

Last edited by GFA; Aug 6th 2011 at 8:47 am.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 12:59 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

oh my.. this could get interesting.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 1:30 pm

Lol it feels weird to re read something you have written in another format and so publicly - wow hope they dont get my facebook wall

I am in a fortunate enough position to be able to raise these concerns whereas others cannot afford to speak out - OK of course I risk being kicked out or not being allowed re-entry but that is sometimes the risk you have to take to do the right thing and Im "hoping" that the Barbados Government would not be that shallow but if it happens I cant say I was not aware.

On another note the article in Barbados Today mentions that "Moderator" Serendipidy - please dont think this title gives my thoughts comments or words any more clout than any other individual on here. As pointed out by another thread from Terry my posts are based purely on my personal experiences and information provided to me by other 3rd parties - that does not make them the status quo.

I am pleased Shawn Cumberbatch picked up on this issue so that those affected by this situation who may have otherwise not had a voice may now get some much needed clarification of this issue and Barbados citizens can continue to benefit from foreign investment.

I also hope it encourages other contributors to air their legitimate grievances in the hope that someone somewhere might listen and help

P.S. thanks GFA for the update - I get Barbados Today via email daily but sometimes find it hard to actually get access to the stories - not being a wizz on the zoom in and out etc lol

Last edited by Serendipidy; Aug 6th 2011 at 1:38 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 3:20 pm
GFA
Just Joined

GFA is an unknown quantity at this point

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.314 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/123)

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
oh my.. this could get interesting.
Indeed - I'll be curious to see if this is picked up by the rest of the Bajan media ....
Old Aug 6th 2011, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

evie202 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Lol it feels weird to re read something you have written in another format and so publicly - wow hope they dont get my facebook wall

I am in a fortunate enough position to be able to raise these concerns whereas others cannot afford to speak out - OK of course I risk being kicked out or not being allowed re-entry but that is sometimes the risk you have to take to do the right thing and Im "hoping" that the Barbados Government would not be that shallow but if it happens I cant say I was not aware.

On another note the article in Barbados Today mentions that "Moderator" Serendipidy - please dont think this title gives my thoughts comments or words any more clout than any other individual on here. As pointed out by another thread from Terry my posts are based purely on my personal experiences and information provided to me by other 3rd parties - that does not make them the status quo.

I am pleased Shawn Cumberbatch picked up on this issue so that those affected by this situation who may have otherwise not had a voice may now get some much needed clarification of this issue and Barbados citizens can continue to benefit from foreign investment.

I also hope it encourages other contributors to air their legitimate grievances in the hope that someone somewhere might listen and help

P.S. thanks GFA for the update - I get Barbados Today via email daily but sometimes find it hard to actually get access to the stories - not being a wizz on the zoom in and out etc lol
As i have to go anyway next week and have already discussed going to the papers in England , i have written to Shawn Cumberbatch and given him our tale of woe , something has to be done , all we wanted to do was contribute to the economy , our business is leisure related which surely is Barbados's greatest strength ? So we leave it here , leased out , 3 Bajan's are now jobless , the others will have to take a paycut from the new lessees . We will move on to less hostile lands , and i really hope all this comes out in the wash ( without anyone getting in trouble or chucked out !) There will be justice in the end i hope !
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Bajan Resident is an unknown quantity at this point

As background I am from the UK living and working in Barbados as I married a Bajan.

I don't believe that immigration has changed it's stance to people from the UK and the length of time they allow them to stay; nor do I believe that Canadians are allowed to stay longer. It's always been a bit of a lottery. You get whatever the immigration officer decides to stamp in your passport when you arrive.

You have various options available to you if Immigration does not give you enough time.

1. Towards the end of you alloted stay, fly to St Vincent for the day, or better still the Grenadines for a cruise (as it's more fun) and come back 3 - 4days later. When you come back in to Barbados Immigration will stamp your passport with whatever extra time they decide to give you.

2. Go down to the Immigration Department and apply for an extension. I know it's demeaning to have to do it, the office at the Careenage is foul and you may have to queue for while, but you should be able to get an extension.

3. Apply for Immigrant status. See http://www.foreign.gov.bb/pageselect.cfm?page=125 Immigrant status is meant for just this situation - you own a house, you are financially self-sufficient. Anyone who owns property here should apply for this status.

It may not seem it sometimes but Barbados does want Brits to buy and live here. The public sector is not particularly user friendly, so maybe that's the feel that permeates through dealings with Immigration etc.

My advice is to do one or more of the above, go and have a few rum punches at John Moores bar on the West coast then relax.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

evie202 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bajan Resident
As background I am from the UK living and working in Barbados as I married a Bajan.

I don't believe that immigration has changed it's stance to people from the UK and the length of time they allow them to stay; nor do I believe that Canadians are allowed to stay longer. It's always been a bit of a lottery. You get whatever the immigration officer decides to stamp in your passport when you arrive.

You have various options available to you if Immigration does not give you enough time.

1. Towards the end of you alloted stay, fly to St Vincent for the day, or better still the Grenadines for a cruise (as it's more fun) and come back 3 - 4days later. When you come back in to Barbados Immigration will stamp your passport with whatever extra time they decide to give you.

2. Go down to the Immigration Department and apply for an extension. I know it's demeaning to have to do it, the office at the Careenage is foul and you may have to queue for while, but you should be able to get an extension.

3. Apply for Immigrant status. See http://www.foreign.gov.bb/pageselect.cfm?page=125 Immigrant status is meant for just this situation - you own a house, you are financially self-sufficient. Anyone who owns property here should apply for this status.

It may not seem it sometimes but Barbados does want Brits to buy and live here. The public sector is not particularly user friendly, so maybe that's the feel that permeates through dealings with Immigration etc.

My advice is to do one or more of the above, go and have a few rum punches at John Moores bar on the West coast then relax.
To Bajan Resident , i beg to differ , we have practically lived in the Immigration office for over a year , they are rude and ignorant and have in no way tried to hide their contempt for us . As for number 3 in your list , this piece of text is precisely why we bought our business and moved here , i even showed it to the officer during our interview , she said it was old and out of date . I think you luckily haven't had any run ins with immi and your view is therefore rosy , but for every one of you there are 10 others who have , quite frankly , been treated like dirt . I suggest you stay in the bar while the rest of us struggle on trying to bring this mis -treatment to light .
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:21 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I just need to say this. (probably said it before somewhere) I am an American who met (not on the sandy beaches of Barbados but at cold snowy night in North Carolina at a company Christmas Party) and married a Barbados Citizen 19 years ago. I was able to obtain the needed documentation quite quickly (cause it was possible at the time.. funny enough.. the same party was in power then that is now... obviously different players). I haven't had a problem working, or with immigration etc..

The world changes.. unfortunately.. Fast Forward 15 years or so.. and Illegal Immigration into many countries causes a huge problem for the local population and subsequently causes problems for those people who want to obtain the rights to live in certain countries legally. (peter pays for paul, paul pays for all)

The Cayman Islands threw out whole wash-pan of expats a few years ago (I know some who got thrown out.. UK and US) if your work permit was coming up for renewal.. don't even try to get it done.. just pack and go.. Australia doesn't allow anyone in to work, unless you can prove you are the only one who can do that job.. and then come.. teach a local how to do that job and leave. (not sure if that is the case but it was about 20 years ago when a good friend of mine tried to move there, open a business and work).

No.. I don't agree how things are handled.. but it's not just Expats who get it.. Bajans get that same attitude.. and they get that same run around (wrote that in another post as well).. Hubby had to get his passport renewed rather quickly a few years back.. told one thing at the door, then another on the inside, then went to pay and was told something completely different.. happens in Business, with schools, all over.. (but that's another issue).

Each person on this forum is going to have a different story.. good, bad, middle of the road, rose colored (the American version) glasses.

just remember.. This is not our country.. Each country has their own set, and it might not sit well with what we actually want.. but that's how it goes..

Regarding the comment about the act mentioned above as being "old and out of date".. it's still an act or law.. needs to be taken further than just this board.. or just that immigration officer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.