British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   UK electrical goods in Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/uk-electrical-goods-barbados-568732/)

Jacksog Oct 22nd 2008 9:20 pm

UK electrical goods in Barbados

I'm about to relocate to Barbados, and would welcome some advice on whether it is worth bringing my UK purchased TV, DVD, HiFi etc. I know that both UK and Barbados operate at 50Hz, but beyond that I'm pretty clueless to be honest.

Foxy_fromCanada Oct 22nd 2008 11:38 pm

Re: UK electrical goods in Barbados

You'll need conversions for the actual plugs - the outlets here are the same as North America (and Japan for that matter).

Good luck to you.

grassisgreener Oct 27th 2008 5:38 pm

If you live in a house with dual voltage your UK products will work (110 and 220), but if I recall correctly the TV systems are different - I can't remember the techie reason why, but I don't think the TV will work (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Also your DVD player will work, but will be set for UK DVDs only - which is no bad thing, but unless it has a setting which you can change to US it won't play the US DVDs.

Hi fi will be fine, as will hairdryers etc., but if you move into a house without dual voltage they won't work without a transformer.

If you do have a house with dual voltage I would suggest bringing out a kettle - they're ridiculously overpriced here.

Foxy_fromCanada Oct 27th 2008 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by grassisgreener (Post 6915030)
Also your DVD player will work, but will be set for UK DVDs only - which is no bad thing, but unless it has a setting which you can change to US it won't play the US DVDs.

This is true, but not to worry. DVD players aren't that expensive here (you can get one for $100-$120bbd at Pricesmart or Courts). We just bought one because of the region code thing, and it's multi-regional so we can play any DVD on it.

Jacksog Oct 28th 2008 8:37 pm

Thanks grassisgreener - what I was really asking about was whether a UK YV set up for PAL (so I'm told) will work given the signal is NTSC. Not so concerned about the voltage issue as that is solvable, but if a PAL TV won't acept the signal, then I won't bring it over. Any thoughts?

grassisgreener Oct 28th 2008 9:16 pm

Hi, that was the techie reason I was looking for - PAL isn't compatible here.

Mad Q Oct 28th 2008 10:11 pm

Hey, my first post here!

You can actually buy PAL to NSTC converters online - they're not cheap however.

Easiest thing is just check compatibility - as many TV's are dual frequency, the other factor to consider is - does your TV operate as a PC Monitor - if so most cable boxes will facilitate that ...... that leads to another thing - if possible buy yourself a Bajan Dreambox which allow you to watch the cable over here FOC. Maybe I'm not allowed to say that ... OOPSS!!!

I also brought with me a couple of step-up adaptors (120v to 240v) from Maplins they're about 30/40 quid and work a dream. Most houses in Barbados do have 240 in them - but you'll need an engineer to run you the extensions you need ... not that expensive to do.

On the DVD front - the only issue you need to check is that it is multi-region as here in Barbados we're US region not UK which is different - but again most DVD players nowadays are multi-region but just check to be on safe side.

I left my 2 Plasmas in London - well sold em for peanuts - as I wasn't sure they'd make the trip - they're not that expensive to buy here ... PriceSmart has good deals so you'd get a decent 42 incher for about $3000-$4000 ...

Hope that helps!

Q

grassisgreener Oct 29th 2008 2:33 pm

I was hoping someone else would chip in, thanks for clarifying Mad Q.

Mad Q - interesting comment about the Bajan Dreambox thing where can you get one from and is it easy to work?

zanne Oct 29th 2008 4:59 pm

The dreambox is on the QT...;)

Sunniebgi Oct 30th 2008 9:02 am

it can't be on the QT when family member of a former big up at the national TV group has one. anyway.. they know it's there, and they jam the signal every so often, you just have to get a new code (I don't know anything about it other than what I've heard). I'm not sure it's worth it really.. 50 something channels and nothing much to watch..

Mad Q Oct 30th 2008 9:34 pm

It's worth it - alright, you can buy them in the UK from a place called www. dreamboxshop .co.uk - I think it is ....

When you get it here - you can eother have it so they re-program it for you here - or you can have it done once so that everytime signal is scramled you eneter a code via the remote control ... that's the easiest way.

The way i see it MCTV - which I have is $129 a month for nonsense - why not have it for free???? Plus - you get all the PPV stuff as well for free ... to me it makes sense - when I leave where I am - I'll be getting one for sure.

Q

Serendipidy Oct 31st 2008 6:50 pm

It is only responsible to point out tho that its not exactly legal - they have threatened fines but you take that risk

Serendipidy

Sunniebgi Oct 31st 2008 9:31 pm

yes it is illegal, basically just like all those phone services that bypass Cable and Wireless.. for long distance calling. but people do it on a daily basis..