British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Travelling to Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/travelling-barbados-903132/)

GraceE Sep 9th 2017 11:59 am

Travelling to Barbados

Hello all

I am coming out to Barbados for Christmas this year on my own. Unfortunately I am only able to come out for a week due to work! I'm looking for suggestions of things to do, and also hoping to meet people! I'm 25 and from the Midlands, UK.

I know there are so many people who say this, but I have been seriously considering moving out and giving life out there a go. So I am looing for advice on working/moving out there? I know I would likely need to get sponsorship of some kind and potential employers would need to apply for the work visa in order for it to happen.

Has anyone got any suggestions on where to look for work for Brits looking to relocate? Or anyone who has done this and how it all went for them?

Any advice is welcome and I'm not expecting anyone to sugar coat it, as I am aware its not an easy process

Thanks all :)

Sunniebgi Sep 9th 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Travelling to Barbados

Hi grace.. Welcome to the board..

Please take some time and read through the other posts that already answer these questions. after that.. if you have any further questions or discussions you can let us know. Enjoy your Christmas holidays in Barbados.

beachseeker Sep 9th 2017 8:36 pm

Hi GraceE - maybe a good place to start would be to check a google search on something like "Barbados job vacancies". I believe there are many agencies and employers looking for new employees. You haven't indicated what field you are interested in, so we can't really help any more than that. We all have the same dream of moving to the tropics but it's a lot harder than you might think. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Serendipidy Sep 11th 2017 4:58 pm

Hi Grace and welcome - you state "I know I would likely need to get sponsorship of some kind and potential employers would need to apply for the work visa in order for it to happen."

Are you a lawyer, doctor,surgeon, accountant or what other grade of skills do you offer that the island might be lacking that would appeal to someone sponsoring you?"

GraceE Sep 11th 2017 5:58 pm

Hi all thanks for your replies.

I am an admin assistant working in a busy office for a housing developer, which I am aware that is a very easy role to fill, but if you don't ask you never know right?!

Has anyone got any suggestions on what to get up to over the Christmas break for a solo traveller?

Thanks again

beachseeker Sep 11th 2017 8:35 pm

Here are a few links that might be able to help you find some fun...
http://www.ilovethisrock.com/
Barbados Pocket Guide
Barbados Travel Guide: Barbados.org
https://www.totallybarbados.com/
I hope this helps a little...

Sunniebgi Sep 12th 2017 12:08 pm

hi Grace... yes.. it's me.. Sunniebgi.. the voice of doom.

Barbados has strict laws regarding work and work permits. (and a current government that is not expat friendly in that regard)..

A Work permit is required for anyone wanting to work that is not a Barbados Citizen, resident with with the rites to work, or Caricom (Caribbean Community) Citizen who has the proper qualifications for specific jobs that are allowed to work in Barbados. (yes.. there are people here .. working. under the table as it's called without a work permit.. but I wouldn't be caught out with out one.. they will send you away, never to come back..)

An office/Admin Assistant is not really a job that you will find needing a work permit, unless you speak 20 languages, have specific skills required that no one else in Barbados can possibly have and then find an employer willing to apply and pay for the work permit for you. and work permits are not transferable..what that means is.. if you come here on a work permit and you are offered another job somewhere else, or you choose to leave that job.. .. the original work permit become null and void and the new company must apply for a work permit for you, or you will be living here with out a work permit or rights as a resident.

it's not easy.. and yes.. as beachseeker says. it's a dream.. some are able to do it, some are not.. Come on holiday and have a great time while you are here.

And Dipty.. already too many lawyers, surgeons, accountants etc.. but yes.. we do need people with specific skills in some of those careers.. but there are lots of young bajans, going to school and learning those things who will need to be employed when they get out..

uk_grenada Sep 12th 2017 12:56 pm

I wondered when someone would point out the elephant in the room [hiding no doubt] [no sunnybgi, im not being sizeist...]

Generally - specifics vary by island:

If you have a few grand, you are welcome to visit paradise for a few weeks and spend them.

Effectively - If you have many hundreds of grand and no wish to work you can stay and spend them for a lot longer. You are effectively a green industry, employing locals, paying taxes and supporting local businesses. In some islands the cost of entry is millions.

What you cant do is take or compete for the already scarce jobs of locals, especially those of the less skilled /poor, or take scarce resources you can pay for yourself.

Sunniebgi Sep 12th 2017 11:40 pm

hi UK-Grenada.. it is what it is.. and as having been "scolded" before for my Unfriendly ways of stating the obvious.. I thought it best to stay silent. .however. when another members suggests "checking out the want ads".. it doesn't help the situation at all.

Each island is different GraceE.. some more welcoming than others when it comes to non-nationals working.. (anyone remember a few years ago when the Government of the Cayman Island withdrew ALL work permits and the people had to re-apply or changed the rules mid stream.. had some Cable & Wireless people stuck in that issue)

and it's not just about the less skilled/poor .. we have some very well educated people who simply can't get jobs. .much depends on the industry or area of expertise..

beachseeker Sep 17th 2017 5:46 pm

GraceE - Notwithstanding Sunnies' comment about want ads, I have found several positions in want ads that might be of interest to you that are admin assistant type positions. Please check this link: https://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/office-a...on-in-barbados I hope I am steering you in the right direction - I am only trying to help. Hopefully you will have a bit of success. Good luck!

Serendipidy Sep 17th 2017 7:33 pm

The jobs on that link look like they are in the UK or are advertising setting up your own business with another company ? In any case it is not as simple as a job being available it is about a right to reside and work and if you don't have one then you cannot apply. A company is not allowed to take on a non bajan if a bajan can do the job.

When we give practical and real advice in this forum it may sound harsh however its the truth that helps people the most.

Originally Posted by beachseeker (Post 12340105)
GraceE - Notwithstanding Sunnies' comment about want ads, I have found several positions in want ads that might be of interest to you that are admin assistant type positions. Please check this link: https://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/office-a...on-in-barbados I hope I am steering you in the right direction - I am only trying to help. Hopefully you will have a bit of success. Good luck!

Serendipidy Sep 17th 2017 7:40 pm

Grace do you know where you might be staying over X,mas? I know someone else who is considering doing the month over xmas and new year?