Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance for Bajans visiting UK

Travel insurance for Bajans visiting UK

Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:35 am
Just Joined

greenflava is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel insurance for Bajans visiting UK

My partner is visiting the UK for the first time in a couple of weeks. He's getting quoted $400bds+ for travel insurance for a 2 week visit to the UK. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask who this was with as was so stunned!

I've been looking online for travel insurance websites which would allow me to buy insurance for him, but my searches bring up companies covering UK residents only. If anyone has a company name or website address that sounds like what I need, I'd really appreciate it if you could pass it on.

Alternatively, if you know of any Barbados based insurance companies that have given you good prices for travel insurance to the UK, that would be really helpful too.

Equally, if $400bds is what we should expect to pay for 2 weeks cover in the UK, hit me with it!

Thanks in advance.
G
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:15 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance for Bajans visiting UK

Most insurance companies that do Travel Insurance, will not do it, unless the person already has a policy (home, car, health etc) with that company. We purchased travel insurance from Equity Insurance at Collymore Rock last summer for a 3 week stay in UK and on a cruise. it was more to cover the cruise than the stay in the UK.. and it was mainly for cancellation insurance than health etc. I think we paid about 250.00bbd for 5 of us. Now.. there were conditions and there were things we didn't get.. So if the WHOLE policy.. Cancellation insurance, personal accident, medical, baggage coverage etc.. is included.. it is possible that it could come to 400.00bbd. BARFINCOR (not sure who that is or if they even exsist) used to do travel insurance.. United Insurance does travel insurance but again.. they may only do it for existing policy holders. I don't think Sagicor offers it, unless they do for their policy holders.

if the ticket has been purchased through a travel agency in Barbados, the agency SHOULD be able to offer insurance through an agency they use, but they may not..

having said that.. is the insurance only for medical "just incase"?? Most people don't purhcase travel insurance on Air tickets, unless they just want the medical. if he already has medical insurance locally, he may want to ask if it covers him while over seas.. if so.. then forgo any other travel insurance..

He also doesn't have to take ALL the items on the travel insurance, if he is offered. but I think the minimum these days is about 150.00bbd for Cancellation and one other on a 4 part plan.
(was in the several parts of the travel industry here, cruise and air..and used to sell insurance at the agency.. things may have changed in 4 years, but when I purchased my insurance for the cruise last summer, not much had changed on the policy offered).
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:52 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

What nationality is your partner and is it just medical health coverage you are concerned about for the trip?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sunnie. Lots of useful info there - you're right, it could be as simple as just reducing the cover.

Serendipity, he's Bajan & resident in Barbados and yes, mostly it's health cover we're concerned about.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:03 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenflava
Thanks Sunnie. Lots of useful info there - you're right, it could be as simple as just reducing the cover.

Serendipity, he's Bajan & resident in Barbados and yes, mostly it's health cover we're concerned about.
Are you aware that Barbados and UK have a reciprocal health care agreement so he would be entitled to treatment? not that you would know the way that QEH carries on!!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:33 am
Just Joined

I had no idea, no! Thank you Serendipity.

I've just found this for anyone else interested

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/NonEEAcountries/Pages/Non-EEAcountries.aspx

This explains UK residents' access to healthcare in Barbados.

Unfortunately, I can't find anything more specific on what Bajan residents are entitled to over in the UK, apart from on a student website which says,
"...you are entitled to some NHS medical treatment regardless of the duration of your course [stay]....Reciprocal Health Agreements usually provide for any hospital treatment you may require during your stay in the UK. You may not be entitled to the treatment of an existing medical condition. You should seek advice from the health authorities of your home country before you travel as you may still need to take out [further insurance]."

Thanks for all the help.
G
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I've used this company before http://www.healthcarebarbados.com/ I think it was around $150 to cover 2 adults and 1 child. This was an annual policy too.

Don't forget that if you have medical insurance here it may cover you abroad anyway.