Travel Insurance

Old Feb 21st 2013, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Insurance

Hi there
I'm someone that has been living in Barbados for 5 years, and not a resident; only visitor status.

In the past I have relied on my UK travel insurance but this depends on me starting and ending my trip in the UK which isn't always possible.

Can anyone suggest a way for me to get some insurance so that I can start and finish my trip here?

I've been to CGI as they insure my house and car but they can only offer BB$25000 which is probably only enough for 2 nights in a US hospital.

Normal UK cover would say a minimum of $2m for travel to USA or Caribbean.

I'd appreciate any advice from others in this situation. I presume Canadian and US long term stayers also have the same problem though I guess a lot will just stay in Barbados when they arrive.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 8:34 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance

in my experience, most insurance companies will not cover you for travel if you don't have any other type of insurance. If you are purchasing your travel from an agency, you can check with them as they will usually provide some type of insurance coverage for you through their agency (usually a sub agent for an insurance agency). having said that.. my experience has also been that you can pay more for more travel insurance, so you need to check with CGI to see if what they are offering you is the minimum or the maximum coverage...