British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Transfering land title? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/transfering-land-title-760435/)

Lynne 8958 Jun 2nd 2012 12:54 pm

Transfering land title?

Hi, Hope someone can help I have tried the BDI Government departments but to no avail.
My partner has land on the island which is in his grandfathers name, can anyone tell me how to get this transfered into my partners name, what documents need to be presented and to who, costs etc.
Thanks Lynne

nilocp Jun 4th 2012 8:41 am

Re: Transfering land title?

You will need to get a solicitor involved!! It is not a DIY job.

CP

Lynne 8958 Jun 4th 2012 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by nilocp (Post 10098867)
You will need to get a solicitor involved!! It is not a DIY job.

CP

I realise that but it does not answer my question, but thank you for your time

nilocp Jun 4th 2012 2:57 pm

Sorry Lynne, I thought that answered your question. You will have to go to a solicitor to get the answers you require. It depends on so many things, and as you probably know, Barbados has a habit of moving the goal posts.

Drop me a pm and I can elaborate.

Colin

Sunniebgi Jun 4th 2012 3:49 pm

I would have to say that the previous answer is actually correct. You really can't do this by yourself.. A Lawyer needs to be the one to navigate this.. and be prepared to wait.

When we purchased our house 15 years ago, it took about 4 months to do everything. that included the title search, which had to be done by someone at the lawyers office (not the lawyer herself) .. and now that the mortage has been paid off on the house, it's taken a few months to get the bank sorted out to get the title completely changed into our name (and another set of money to have it done..)..

I would guess you would also need permission from the grandfather, but if passed away, you would likely need something from the estate or other surviving family members to get the land. something that says you purchased the land from them, or you were given the land.. something.. sounds easy, likely isn't..

Lynne 8958 Jun 4th 2012 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 10099494)
I would have to say that the previous answer is actually correct. You really can't do this by yourself.. A Lawyer needs to be the one to navigate this.. and be prepared to wait.

When we purchased our house 15 years ago, it took about 4 months to do everything. that included the title search, which had to be done by someone at the lawyers office (not the lawyer herself) .. and now that the mortage has been paid off on the house, it's taken a few months to get the bank sorted out to get the title completely changed into our name (and another set of money to have it done..)..

I would guess you would also need permission from the grandfather, but if passed away, you would likely need something from the estate or other surviving family members to get the land. something that says you purchased the land from them, or you were given the land.. something.. sounds easy, likely isn't..

I understand all that and we do hav documentation to support the passing on the of the land to family, what is seems I cannot find out from anywhere is what you have to do. I do not want to be paying a solicitor a fortune to tell us he basics lol.....and as I am sure you know they do not like to rush!

But thank you for the reply

Lynne 8958 Jun 4th 2012 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by nilocp (Post 10099415)
Sorry Lynne, I thought that answered your question. You will have to go to a solicitor to get the answers you require. It depends on so many things, and as you probably know, Barbados has a habit of moving the goal posts.

Drop me a pm and I can elaborate.

Colin

Sorry what is a pm? new to this site :)

Serendipidy Jun 4th 2012 7:48 pm

Its a private message Lynne you can click on the persons name and send them either a PM or email for personal details or personal messages