British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Tourist want more bang for their bucks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/tourist-want-more-bang-their-bucks-643637/)

sandgirl Dec 9th 2009 9:58 am

Re: Tourist want more bang for their bucks

@ reslax: I don't believe we bash Bajans we just trying to give an hopefully objective view of Barbados and its people, and trying 'potential expats' to understand it might not all paradise here that they might be expecting

Serendipidy Dec 14th 2009 3:00 pm

I believe that humans express their frustration anger etc at watever or whom ever causes that anger. I know nuff bajan friends who complain bout things that go on in barbados and how bajan "too malicious" or lazy and rude just as i do when im in the uk about the dole scoungers and the traffic wardens rah rah rah - so dont be suprised that a foreigner might have an opinon or two on the life they lead whereever they are - its totally and utterly natural and im really fed up with being expect to play mute just cos im white whilst my black colleagues are entitled to vent their frustration - if something is inappropriate or wrong it shouldlnt matter if its a black white or green person that expresses they concern (actually i would prefer green people to only comment in emails lol)

Go live in England for a month and im tellin ya u will fone home on a regular basis just to exhale and vent - the difference is the rest of the brits will join in ya whinging cos we know when shit is shit and aint trying to dress it up under a patriotic flag - trust me change only comes about in UK by mass disapproval as the Poll Tax and the outing of Margaret Thatcher shows.

No one on here is a member of the Barbados Tourist Board(bet someone now proves me wrong lol) and are therefore not obligated to promote only the benefits of Barbados but to advise on the good the bad and the ugly

Ikon Dec 14th 2009 9:06 pm

Agree 100% with everything Serendipidy said there. Well, except the green people thing... LOL! ;)

I think there's an over-sensitivity sometimes if a 'foreigner' (even one who's living there) criticises your country. I'm the same about the UK when someone criticises certain customs or things we do there, I'll leap to its defence by instinct then realise I'm actually in agreement. It's just misplaced patriotism, I suppose.

When I apply a bit of thought to it, logic dictates that people who have newly arrived in a country are actually more likely to pinpoint the problem areas because they haven't been forced to "get used to it" over such a long period. It's just up to those of us who are relatively new in the places we live to express our point sensitively, I think!

Foxy_fromCanada Dec 15th 2009 12:26 am

Well said, Ikon (and Dips).

I made the mistake a few times of visiting the Canada forums here on BE. I felt defensive at the things people were saying about my lovely home country, but then I realized it's simply part of how we cope when trying to acclimatize to a new culture. Moving to a new country is never easy or straightforward - I've done it twice now - and you need to let out your frustrations. I also realized, on visiting the Canada forums, that the things people were complaining about there were often the things I complain about at home too - e.g. Who enjoys spending hours on hold with the cable company?!?! Doesn't matter which country you're in, it's still a pain!

I don't visit the Canada forums any longer, because I know I will feel defensive, and that is not the point of this website.