Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Tourist want more bang for their bucks

Tourist want more bang for their bucks

Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist want more bang for their bucks

I agree, please, no more .... this is supposed to be a chilled out forum!
I've been it on TV!!!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:33 pm
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Mitzboy, i am standing with one of the best race horse in Italy Exploit Caf
look it up on you tube.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:54 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Neal - What are you on? What has racehorse in Italy to do with anything?

I also want to ask you one question? What is your purpose for using BRITISH EXPATS? Im really on the fence with your "input" and the splinters are beginning to bother me now ..........................
Old Dec 8th 2009, 2:22 am
Just Joined

sandgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Neal - What are you on? What has racehorse in Italy to do with anything?

I also want to ask you one question? What is your purpose for using BRITISH EXPATS? Im really on the fence with your "input" and the splinters are beginning to bother me now ..........................
I never said I was a millionaire, maybe the houses are 100% financed from First Caribbean? You asked where are the tourist? I told you some are at my houses by the sea. The only thing you can accuse me of is that I boasted about was about giving 10 Bajans a job which I am happy and proud about. Barbados got nuff accommodation to cater all classes, but you honestly think we can compete with Spain or Greece. Food prices alone in Barbados are so high, Barbados is hardly producing their own food and on top of that Bajans stealing from Bajans Farmers and mostly Bajans buying stolen produce because its cheaper- but that a different post-that ‘s what drives the prices up too not the rich people and don’t tell me there is no land because the rich bought it all- plenty land there, electricity has to be made with expensive imported diesel generators (Spain got nuclear & windpower) you think the middle class don’t want bedrooms air-conditioned? Flights to Barbados are long don’t think Ryanair or Easyjet will ever make it here. … The Government is trying to get a variation of people to Barbados they had the one-meter sailing festival, sport fishing, next year another sailing festival, Caribbean golf championship, polo, 20 20 cricket in April and they are not millionaires coming to watch, … plenty more. 7nts in Spain 241 Pounds per person incl flights , you really think we can compete with that ? The new Sapphire Condos in the Gap does not cater for the rich, very very reasonable priced for a property by the sea. I see plenty of people dining at Chef or KFC. Barbados has everything.
You all can milk the cow= just be friendly, give the tourists what they want and bend over backwards to please them- I am doing it and live of it good – you can do it too- if you don’t – don’t blame us for doing so…

Your friends that invested millions in accommodation why they don’t go out and cater middle income families, if they believe in that…? All it takes is advertisement marketing…..etc. – if you say the government is no good and lie- do it yourself. Its not what can the government do for me its what can I do to help the government to generate a better live in Barbados for everybody. You think Sir Charles is relying on the Government to attract Tourist for Polo – no he goes to England with a team generates a lot of publicity sadly….. It’s the same way of thinking when I go in a store and get no service. Its not the company that is paying the wages of the staff- its customers like me -without me there is no money to pay the wages. So nuff said, I love Barbados lived here since I was little, yes it got its fault but so does everybody. ….Have a good nite
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:24 am
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw Mitzboy location is valencia,just happen to think he is familar with Italy.
Am in Italy with my friends,they own one of the best race horse in italy thats all nothing personal.Am using British Epats to see how the British view Barbados and some of the things that goes on here,I can apologise for my strong language when i first join but promised to keep it in line,but since i have said i was bajan i noticed a lot of ignorance towards me from some people,instead of replying in a more diplomatic way like Ikon does and a few more,some people blow things out of proportion and scatter my thread in all directions causing a bit of fustration on my part.I have nothing against a foreigner i depend on the tourist for many years to make a living,but there are big issues in Barbados where tourist and foreign investors are concern,you people may not see it but i as a local sees it very cleary along with over 200,000 more,so my post mabe a bit strange but its just reality and you all must face it.It is very boring to go online to British Expats to read the same old questions over and over about how to get a work permit or i am moving to Barbados,does any has any other things to post maybe the moderators can post some thing for a change.

Last edited by neal brown; Dec 8th 2009 at 6:41 am.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:56 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neal brown
I saw Mitzboy location is valencia,just happen to think he is familar with Italy.
Valencia, Spain
Old Dec 8th 2009, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

I have to agree on one point with Neal, the majority of the people who have done well for themselves do not boast about it.
Obviously, hanging out with, all these millionaire and famous friends has not thaught you anything, as boasting about that is a reoccurring fact in nearly all your posts, which makes me wonder how well you are really aqcuainted with these folks.
Furthermore, no one is forcing you to take part on this forum, so if you find it boring, find yourself some other ones, maybe the questions serve a purpose for the people asking them.
Foreigners seeking information about this country and how things are done, I have followed this forum for a while and it almost seems as the regulars are staying away, because someone lashing out at a lot that's being said.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point

Neal

You're getting up my nose too. This forum is an essential source of information for expats, if you find it boring stay away! There are plenty of Barbados blogging sites for you to rant on.

I'm British and Bajan and have found only helpful comments and useful info from people on this site, including where to find a hairdresser for my afro hair - so to say that folks don't want to know you now because you have admitted you're Bajan is ludicrous.

You're giving the wrong impression of Bajans, so stop it!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:02 pm
Banned

reslax is an unknown quantity at this point

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If some of you are uncomfortable with comments Bajans are making on this site, imagine how Bajans feel when they come on this site and read some of the comments that many of you have made about Bajans being slow, unorganised, and lacking in customer service skills.

Some of you have stated that this site is for British expats to ask questions and give answers. If that is the case, why are there so many threads on this site that some of you "regulars" have used to ridicule and bash Bajans, instead of just answering questions posed by British expats? Some of the regulars on this site aren't even British.

This comment probably won't see the light of day for long, because the trend is to delete comments that offend the five or so regulars under the pretense that the commenter is trolling or off topic.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by reslax
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If some of you are uncomfortable with comments Bajans are making on this site, imagine how Bajans feel when they come on this site and read some of the comments that many of you have made about Bajans being slow, unorganised, and lacking in customer service skills.

Some of you have stated that this site is for British expats to ask questions and give answers. If that is the case, why are there so many threads on this site that some of you "regulars" have used to ridicule and bash Bajans, instead of just answering questions posed by British expats? Some of the regulars on this site aren't even British.

This comment probably won't see the light of day for long, because the trend is to delete comments that offend the five or so regulars under the pretense that the commenter is trolling or off topic.
Oh seriously, this is ridiculous! I could give you an example of tonnes of inefficiencies - I just experienced one unbelievable thing at the land tax office, but equally I could comment on why I'm not currently living in Britain. No country is perfect, neither are its people. Get over it.

If you've never lived as an expat you will find it hard to understand why people need a site like this, moving to a foreign country is difficult - there are processes and procedures and are hard to understand, and this forum at least goes some way to explain what's what - sure people get frustrated at things, and I'm sure you do too.

I won't be commenting anymore on this subject, but I really couldn't bite my tongue any longer.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:36 pm
Senior Moment

Please .... enough
If you have a problem reslax with moderation then I suggest you contact admin. Otherwise lets keep to topic and not discuss moderation on here

As far as comments about bajans are concerned, I see similar comments about Brits, Spaniards, Italians ... whatever. No one is perfect, please dont take it personally
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, I think it's wrong to suggest that making criticisms of certain aspects of life in any one country is a criticism of the people.

The forum (as I understand it) is to provide somewhere for expats to come and learn more about countries they've moved to or want to move to. I would hope that could include a frank but respectful discussion of what's good and bad about living in Barbados. It would be daft of us to give some rose-tinted view.

I don't believe I've read posts that I found disrespectful to Barbadians. Occasionally, I've rolled my eyes at the exact OPPOSITE - there is a view implied here sometimes that the expats who move here are 'better' if they have some family claim, for example, which I don't agree with. On those occasions, I usually ignore what's being said or make the point that people can offer something to a country regardless of ancestral claims, but I don't for a second assume that anyone is deliberately trying to be xenophobic or anti-British.

Like Mitzyboy says, nowhere is perfect. If Reslax feels like the board is stressing the negatives, that may just be because we tend to ask questions when we have a problem to solve. Things that work well, and the things we all love about living here, probably don't get stated as often b/c there's no cause for people to ask about them.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

sapphirerose127 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that nowhere is perfect. Life is what you make it. I and my family live in the UK, but have decided we want to live in Barbados. Maybe it is a case of believing the grass is greener on the other side, but never the less, since variety is the spice of life, we will give it a go, come what may.
I think the word Expats for nationals of numerous countries conjures the idea that there are a group of people in their homeland that are not willing to intergrate fully with local culture. I have seen this with Spanish locals resentment of the Expat community there. However I think as an impending Expat myself, grouping with those in the the same boat, or those that have been there, and done that, is usually an initial safety net that is clung to until you can find your feet and go with the flow. The same happens here in the UK, with area's of the community heavily influxed mainly with one particular foreign nationality, hence you have a mainly Asian community in Southall, or a West Indian community in Brixton etc...
However, due to Barbados' land mass not being very big, people live in close proximity to each other. Hence it is immediately noticeable when a foreign national has come into the community. I will continue to look on his forum to help guide our intergration into the Bajan way of living, until we can go it alone.
Well, for me anyway, I would not be going to Barbados if we did not love it and when you love a place, the same as when you love a person, you don't even notice the faults so much after a while, and you just adapt! Tourists see images of Barbados on there TV that make it seem like paradise on earth, and most people on earth are searching for their own piece of paradise. The natural beauty of the island is what makes it, and all the other Caribbean islands appear this way. So whether things work good or not, people will come in search. If the natural beauty is drained away by economic exploitation, then tourists and expats alike will start to look somewhere else for a more natural enviroment.

Well I said my bit, Love you all (even the argumentative one's....lol)
Old Dec 8th 2009, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, I always think that the term "expats" is a little pretentious..... Why is it that we refer to visitors to our own countries as "immigrants" while we refer to ourselves as "expats" when we move abroad..... Surely we should be referred to as "immigrants" as well..... Or is there a specific definition for an "expat" of which I am not aware?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a shame people might see it that way. It shouldn't mean anything more than to express that we have emigrated from Britain.

I think the problem is that it has come to be associated with the communities of Brits you get in some territories (Marbella/Cyprus etc) who often live as if they're still in the UK and don't integrate, speak local languages etc. I'm sure there are some who would point at gated communities here and say that the same is happening in Barbados. The word 'expat' has very much been tagged to those people, I think - the type who want a sunshine version of home.

It's a shame, b/c it shouldn't have those negative connotations.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.