British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Tourist want more bang for their bucks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/tourist-want-more-bang-their-bucks-643637/)

neal brown Dec 6th 2009 2:09 pm

Tourist want more bang for their bucks

Mr.Capaldi is complaining,these are just some of the stupid mistake that the greedy Bajans and outside investors had made.The problem with tourist in Barbados came from the idea that Barbados is a luxury destination,every single hotels or condo that goes up is 5 star, or there are charging 5 star prices,golf courses all over the place i have nothing against 5 star or upscale places.But we should be concentrating on the normal working class tourist these are the people that will shape our economy,working on getting cheaper flights to Barbados,when will we stop catering for the rich and famous,i have travel to Rhodes Island off Greece and every thing is reasonable there are many hotels and all of them are full the beaches are packed with tourist and all the resturants are full,maybe some of these nut heads in Barbados should travel and copy some ideas.If you have a business count the normal working class that comes in and spend money compare with the multi millionares and see its 10 to 1.

sandgirl Dec 6th 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Tourist want more bang for their bucks

Originally Posted by neal brown (Post 8150606)
Mr.Capaldi is complaining,these are just some of the stupid mistake that the greedy Bajans and outside investors had made.The problem with tourist in Barbados came from the idea that Barbados is a luxury destination,every single hotels or condo that goes up is 5 star, or there are charging 5 star prices,golf courses all over the place i have nothing against 5 star or upscale places.But we should be concentrating on the normal working class tourist these are the people that will shape our economy,working on getting cheaper flights to Barbados,when will we stop catering for the rich and famous,i have travel to Rhodes Island off Greece and every thing is reasonable there are many hotels and all of them are full the beaches are packed with tourist and all the resturants are full,maybe some of these nut heads in Barbados should travel and copy some ideas.If you have a business count the normal working class that comes in and spend money compare with the multi millionares and see its 10 to 1.

Sorry Neal, I got to work 10 times harder to make the same amount of Money I get of 1 person e.g. serve 10 people in BertsBar that I serve 1 person in the Cliff? running my ass of for 10 people I can charge 1, sorry it don't make sense to me, but I might misunderstood I apologize.
BTW: I don't want to got to Greece I want to go where the Rich and Famous are BEAUTIFUL BARBADOS- I want to be one the chosen few that can afford to be here -not like everybody in Ibiza or Spain. Why you think everybody wants to go to Monaco, St.Moriz, Courcvevel, Aspen ? You want Barbados be like Dominican Republic?....

Ikon Dec 7th 2009 1:04 am

I agree, Barbados's appeal is that it has retained a little exclusivity. Not that much LOL..... but some. The beaches aren't too crowded, and there are some nice places to eat and drink for tourists taking a special holiday.

I agree that I wouldn't like it be like Greece/Spain (although there are some places here that aren't that far away from that already tbh), and God forbid it be like the DR. No disrespect to anyone living there, but there's a certain kind of tourist you see there quite frequently that we really don't need in B'dos.

neal brown Dec 7th 2009 6:27 am

Sandgirl if you open your eyes you will see that just catering for the rich does not work.its ok for you to say that,thats why tourism is on the decline and many bajans cant afford a piece of land.Do you think the rich and famous dont go to greece and spain?We as Bajans intrest should be focus on the better of our economy,not Paris Hilton or David Becham comming once every 5 years.It reach to a stage now that we are paying celebrities to come to Barbados.Do you think having Barbados like Monaco would be any fun?seems like we should keep building like Dubai and end up bankrupt.:blink:

Ikon Dec 7th 2009 6:31 am

Neal, I googled 'decline in tourism' Greece lost 9% tourism in 2009 against Barbados's 5%.

It seems (logically, I suppose) that the rich can still afford holidays and the destinations offering cheaper package holidays have lost a greater proportion of their footfall overall. Maybe catering for the wealthy, who can still afford holidays, makes more sense in the current economic climate.

neal brown Dec 7th 2009 8:23 am

Well those figures are incorrect. The Barbados Tourism Athuority continue to lie to the public over and over, tourism in barbados is pure politics i can assure you the barbados tourism was on the decline since the start of the year 2000 because i work in tourism and i have close friends that has millions invested in accommodations.You can speak with anybody in the tourist business and hear what they will tell you.Whether it be resturants owners,watersport operators,tour operators etc.The government will never give out the exact figures and scare away foreign investors.Ikon do you know how many business was close down due to the short fall of tourist comming into Barbados? and it will not get better in the near future,i will like someone to tell me where are all these people staying when there arrive in Barbados and who is collecting the money.

Ikon Dec 7th 2009 8:30 am

LOL...... They weren't government figures as far as I could tell actually, Neal. They were put together by travel agents and airlines. I'm not sure what interest they'd have in manipulating the figures. Maybe you just think b/c they don't fit your agenda.

Of course tourism here is down. It's down everywhere. But I don't think appealing to the middle market would help Barbados. Surely the rich are more likely to be able to still afford holidays, it's the middle classes who holidayed at home in the UK last summer.

sandgirl Dec 7th 2009 10:55 am

Originally Posted by neal brown (Post 8152545)
Well those figures are incorrect. The Barbados Tourism Athuority continue to lie to the public over and over, tourism in barbados is pure politics i can assure you the barbados tourism was on the decline since the start of the year 2000 because i work in tourism and i have close friends that has millions invested in accommodations.You can speak with anybody in the tourist business and hear what they will tell you.Whether it be resturants owners,watersport operators,tour operators etc.The government will never give out the exact figures and scare away foreign investors.Ikon do you know how many business was close down due to the short fall of tourist comming into Barbados? and it will not get better in the near future,i will like someone to tell me where are all these people staying when there arrive in Barbados and who is collecting the money.

Well I tell you- they are not staying in Bakers Wood, ;-) at your friends place, as a Tourist you cant even pay me to have my vacation there.... I got 2 Houses by the sea and I am fully booked from November to March next year. Went to St. Lucia a month ago and every other restaurant is for sale in Rodney bay, only good hotels going there are the Sandals chain but that is all inclusive which I hope is not the way forward for Barbados. Open your eyes Neal, Barbados was better off this recession than any other place in the Caribbean & with Dubai bankrupt I hope the rich coming back to Barbados even though the service compared to Dubai here SUCKS.

neal brown Dec 7th 2009 12:00 pm

You are booked up from september to March my friends place at Bakers are fully booked up from 4july 2009 to 07 april 2010. You can check the availability calender as proof,you dont have proof you are just talking for a conversation it is selfish people like you that we dont need in Barbados,by this time you cant afford a shot of Mount Gay at a local rum shop.:eek:

sandgirl Dec 7th 2009 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by neal brown (Post 8152919)
You are booked up from september to March my friends place at Bakers are fully booked up from 4july 2009 to 07 april 2010. You can check the availability calender as proof,you dont have proof you are just talking for a conversation it is selfish people like you that we dont need in Barbados,by this time you cant afford a shot of Mount Gay at a local rum shop.:eek:

First READ - I said November not September, second Ah I understand that why you still advertised it on a Oct 1st post...? Third if you can afford Mount Gay drink Special Barbados Rum its far cheaper or put up your rent and cater for rich people work from November to March and enjoy the rest of the year and drink Extra Old Mount Gay Rum. and I dont think I am selfish I give 10 Bajans a job which they may or may NOT have if it wouldn't be for the rich coming to Barbados. If it would be a middle income family they would have 1 maid twice a week and 1 gardener once a week.

expat_wannabe07 Dec 7th 2009 1:28 pm

IMHO Barbados caters more than adequately for both tourists who want some exclusivity, and also for those who want a more reasonably priced holiday. With a bit of research it's possible to holiday on the south coast without spending a fortune (especially in the summer months).....those that wish to fork out for a luxury holiday, can head up to the west coast.

Ikon Dec 7th 2009 1:38 pm

Absolutely. I said in my post there are places on Barbados that aren't far removed from what the Greek/Spanish package holiday customer would want.

But.......

For BRITISH tourists, Barbados will never compete on cost with Greece/Spain, for the simple fact that the flight is 2 to 4 times as long. It would be very foolish of Bajan businesses aimed at tourists to try and take any of that market away from Europe because it will always be more expensive to get here and therefore uncompetitive at that end of the market.

I read somewhere that Barbados's drop-off has got nothing to do with British tourists anyway, it's Americans that have stopped coming because they can get the same weather (pretty much) by going somewhere closer like Orlando. I imagine that's why it's the American tourists they're trying to win back with things such as the new JetBlue flights from NYC.

neal brown Dec 7th 2009 2:41 pm

:thumbup:Ikon i can agree with you i think you are a bit more compromising than Sandgirl(SNIP)As i made myself a promise to keep inline follow the rules and have a bit more respect for people posting on this site .In my original post i said i have nothing against the rich and famous or upscale places,but i am totally against every single hotel,resturant,golf project,condo etc that is going up these days just catering for the rich,everything that is being built is luxury it does not make so much sense to me and a lot of the not so luxury are carrying up their prices to luxury prices.But Sandgirl are boasting that she has 2 beach houses,I have a lot of millionare friends and what i learn from them is that people who has money and have it made never go around boasting.Where are these beach houses Sandgirl in Nelson street.:rofl:

Ikon Dec 7th 2009 3:07 pm

Well yes, of course the best thing Barbados can do is cater to its widest possible market.

From what I understand, the best plan will be to try and entice back the Americans we've lost, as British numbers aren't down that much. I'm not sure how they'll manage it with the Americans though, every other Caribbean island seems quicker/cheaper to reach and there are places in the US they can go to far more easily. This economical crisis is quite a challenge for Barbados, really.

Of course, turning it on its head - maybe the answer is less to do with tourism, anyway. It's not good for Barbados to be so reliant on one thing for its income. Perhaps it's about attracting foreign investment in terms of business. But again, that will only mean more development & more expensive properties being built, which people don't seem keen on..... I wouldn't really fancy being in the government's shoes in the current situation!

expat_wannabe07 Dec 7th 2009 3:34 pm

Neal, you make some very interesting and valid points, and bring lively debate to this forum...but, please, please, enough with the derogatory personal remarks. I know i'm not a moderator, but it just makes me feel uncomfortable - you really don't have to make a personal attack every time someone disagrees with you or doesn't share your opinions.

Mitzyboy Dec 7th 2009 3:53 pm

I agree, please, no more .... this is supposed to be a chilled out forum! :D
I've been it on TV!!!

neal brown Dec 7th 2009 8:33 pm

Mitzboy, i am standing with one of the best race horse in Italy Exploit Caf
look it up on you tube.

Serendipidy Dec 7th 2009 8:54 pm

Neal - What are you on? What has racehorse in Italy to do with anything?

I also want to ask you one question? What is your purpose for using BRITISH EXPATS? Im really on the fence with your "input" and the splinters are beginning to bother me now ..........................

sandgirl Dec 8th 2009 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Serendipidy (Post 8154134)
Neal - What are you on? What has racehorse in Italy to do with anything?

I also want to ask you one question? What is your purpose for using BRITISH EXPATS? Im really on the fence with your "input" and the splinters are beginning to bother me now ..........................

I never said I was a millionaire, maybe the houses are 100% financed from First Caribbean? You asked where are the tourist? I told you some are at my houses by the sea. The only thing you can accuse me of is that I boasted about was about giving 10 Bajans a job which I am happy and proud about. Barbados got nuff accommodation to cater all classes, but you honestly think we can compete with Spain or Greece. Food prices alone in Barbados are so high, Barbados is hardly producing their own food and on top of that Bajans stealing from Bajans Farmers and mostly Bajans buying stolen produce because its cheaper- but that a different post-that ‘s what drives the prices up too not the rich people and don’t tell me there is no land because the rich bought it all- plenty land there, electricity has to be made with expensive imported diesel generators (Spain got nuclear & windpower) you think the middle class don’t want bedrooms air-conditioned? Flights to Barbados are long don’t think Ryanair or Easyjet will ever make it here. … The Government is trying to get a variation of people to Barbados they had the one-meter sailing festival, sport fishing, next year another sailing festival, Caribbean golf championship, polo, 20 20 cricket in April and they are not millionaires coming to watch, … plenty more. 7nts in Spain 241 Pounds per person incl flights , you really think we can compete with that ? The new Sapphire Condos in the Gap does not cater for the rich, very very reasonable priced for a property by the sea. I see plenty of people dining at Chef or KFC. Barbados has everything.
You all can milk the cow= just be friendly, give the tourists what they want and bend over backwards to please them- I am doing it and live of it good – you can do it too- if you don’t – don’t blame us for doing so…

Your friends that invested millions in accommodation why they don’t go out and cater middle income families, if they believe in that…? All it takes is advertisement marketing…..etc. – if you say the government is no good and lie- do it yourself. Its not what can the government do for me its what can I do to help the government to generate a better live in Barbados for everybody. You think Sir Charles is relying on the Government to attract Tourist for Polo – no he goes to England with a team generates a lot of publicity sadly….. It’s the same way of thinking when I go in a store and get no service. Its not the company that is paying the wages of the staff- its customers like me -without me there is no money to pay the wages. So nuff said, I love Barbados lived here since I was little, yes it got its fault but so does everybody. ….Have a good nite

neal brown Dec 8th 2009 6:24 am

I saw Mitzboy location is valencia,just happen to think he is familar with Italy.
Am in Italy with my friends,they own one of the best race horse in italy thats all nothing personal.Am using British Epats to see how the British view Barbados and some of the things that goes on here,I can apologise for my strong language when i first join but promised to keep it in line,but since i have said i was bajan i noticed a lot of ignorance towards me from some people,instead of replying in a more diplomatic way like Ikon does and a few more,some people blow things out of proportion and scatter my thread in all directions causing a bit of fustration on my part.I have nothing against a foreigner i depend on the tourist for many years to make a living,but there are big issues in Barbados where tourist and foreign investors are concern,you people may not see it but i as a local sees it very cleary along with over 200,000 more,so my post mabe a bit strange but its just reality and you all must face it.It is very boring to go online to British Expats to read the same old questions over and over about how to get a work permit or i am moving to Barbados,does any has any other things to post maybe the moderators can post some thing for a change.

Mitzyboy Dec 8th 2009 7:56 am

Originally Posted by neal brown (Post 8155202)
I saw Mitzboy location is valencia,just happen to think he is familar with Italy.

Valencia, Spain

bamiskados Dec 8th 2009 1:47 pm

I have to agree on one point with Neal, the majority of the people who have done well for themselves do not boast about it.
Obviously, hanging out with, all these millionaire and famous friends has not thaught you anything, as boasting about that is a reoccurring fact in nearly all your posts, which makes me wonder how well you are really aqcuainted with these folks.
Furthermore, no one is forcing you to take part on this forum, so if you find it boring, find yourself some other ones, maybe the questions serve a purpose for the people asking them.
Foreigners seeking information about this country and how things are done, I have followed this forum for a while and it almost seems as the regulars are staying away, because someone lashing out at a lot that's being said.

grassisgreener Dec 8th 2009 4:09 pm

Neal

You're getting up my nose too. This forum is an essential source of information for expats, if you find it boring stay away! There are plenty of Barbados blogging sites for you to rant on.

I'm British and Bajan and have found only helpful comments and useful info from people on this site, including where to find a hairdresser for my afro hair - so to say that folks don't want to know you now because you have admitted you're Bajan is ludicrous.

You're giving the wrong impression of Bajans, so stop it! :frown:

reslax Dec 8th 2009 5:02 pm

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If some of you are uncomfortable with comments Bajans are making on this site, imagine how Bajans feel when they come on this site and read some of the comments that many of you have made about Bajans being slow, unorganised, and lacking in customer service skills.

Some of you have stated that this site is for British expats to ask questions and give answers. If that is the case, why are there so many threads on this site that some of you "regulars" have used to ridicule and bash Bajans, instead of just answering questions posed by British expats? Some of the regulars on this site aren't even British.

This comment probably won't see the light of day for long, because the trend is to delete comments that offend the five or so regulars under the pretense that the commenter is trolling or off topic.

grassisgreener Dec 8th 2009 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by reslax (Post 8156732)
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If some of you are uncomfortable with comments Bajans are making on this site, imagine how Bajans feel when they come on this site and read some of the comments that many of you have made about Bajans being slow, unorganised, and lacking in customer service skills.

Some of you have stated that this site is for British expats to ask questions and give answers. If that is the case, why are there so many threads on this site that some of you "regulars" have used to ridicule and bash Bajans, instead of just answering questions posed by British expats? Some of the regulars on this site aren't even British.

This comment probably won't see the light of day for long, because the trend is to delete comments that offend the five or so regulars under the pretense that the commenter is trolling or off topic.

Oh seriously, this is ridiculous! I could give you an example of tonnes of inefficiencies - I just experienced one unbelievable thing at the land tax office, but equally I could comment on why I'm not currently living in Britain. No country is perfect, neither are its people. Get over it.

If you've never lived as an expat you will find it hard to understand why people need a site like this, moving to a foreign country is difficult - there are processes and procedures and are hard to understand, and this forum at least goes some way to explain what's what - sure people get frustrated at things, and I'm sure you do too.

I won't be commenting anymore on this subject, but I really couldn't bite my tongue any longer.

Mitzyboy Dec 8th 2009 5:36 pm

Please .... enough
If you have a problem reslax with moderation then I suggest you contact admin. Otherwise lets keep to topic and not discuss moderation on here

As far as comments about bajans are concerned, I see similar comments about Brits, Spaniards, Italians ... whatever. No one is perfect, please dont take it personally

Ikon Dec 8th 2009 10:13 pm

I agree, I think it's wrong to suggest that making criticisms of certain aspects of life in any one country is a criticism of the people.

The forum (as I understand it) is to provide somewhere for expats to come and learn more about countries they've moved to or want to move to. I would hope that could include a frank but respectful discussion of what's good and bad about living in Barbados. It would be daft of us to give some rose-tinted view.

I don't believe I've read posts that I found disrespectful to Barbadians. Occasionally, I've rolled my eyes at the exact OPPOSITE - there is a view implied here sometimes that the expats who move here are 'better' if they have some family claim, for example, which I don't agree with. On those occasions, I usually ignore what's being said or make the point that people can offer something to a country regardless of ancestral claims, but I don't for a second assume that anyone is deliberately trying to be xenophobic or anti-British.

Like Mitzyboy says, nowhere is perfect. If Reslax feels like the board is stressing the negatives, that may just be because we tend to ask questions when we have a problem to solve. Things that work well, and the things we all love about living here, probably don't get stated as often b/c there's no cause for people to ask about them.

sapphirerose127 Dec 8th 2009 11:23 pm

I agree that nowhere is perfect. Life is what you make it. I and my family live in the UK, but have decided we want to live in Barbados. Maybe it is a case of believing the grass is greener on the other side, but never the less, since variety is the spice of life, we will give it a go, come what may. :fingerscrossed:
I think the word Expats for nationals of numerous countries conjures the idea that there are a group of people in their homeland that are not willing to intergrate fully with local culture. I have seen this with Spanish locals resentment of the Expat community there. However I think as an impending Expat myself, grouping with those in the the same boat, or those that have been there, and done that, is usually an initial safety net that is clung to until you can find your feet and go with the flow. The same happens here in the UK, with area's of the community heavily influxed mainly with one particular foreign nationality, hence you have a mainly Asian community in Southall, or a West Indian community in Brixton etc...
However, due to Barbados' land mass not being very big, people live in close proximity to each other. Hence it is immediately noticeable when a foreign national has come into the community. I will continue to look on his forum to help guide our intergration into the Bajan way of living, until we can go it alone.
Well, for me anyway, I would not be going to Barbados if we did not love it and when you love a place, the same as when you love a person, you don't even notice the faults so much after a while, and you just adapt! Tourists see images of Barbados on there TV that make it seem like paradise on earth, and most people on earth are searching for their own piece of paradise. The natural beauty of the island is what makes it, and all the other Caribbean islands appear this way. So whether things work good or not, people will come in search. If the natural beauty is drained away by economic exploitation, then tourists and expats alike will start to look somewhere else for a more natural enviroment.

Well I said my bit, Love you all (even the argumentative one's....lol)

Cuchullain Dec 8th 2009 11:48 pm

Actually, I always think that the term "expats" is a little pretentious..... Why is it that we refer to visitors to our own countries as "immigrants" while we refer to ourselves as "expats" when we move abroad..... Surely we should be referred to as "immigrants" as well..... Or is there a specific definition for an "expat" of which I am not aware?

Ikon Dec 9th 2009 12:03 am

It's a shame people might see it that way. It shouldn't mean anything more than to express that we have emigrated from Britain.

I think the problem is that it has come to be associated with the communities of Brits you get in some territories (Marbella/Cyprus etc) who often live as if they're still in the UK and don't integrate, speak local languages etc. I'm sure there are some who would point at gated communities here and say that the same is happening in Barbados. The word 'expat' has very much been tagged to those people, I think - the type who want a sunshine version of home.

It's a shame, b/c it shouldn't have those negative connotations.......

sandgirl Dec 9th 2009 9:58 am

@ reslax: I don't believe we bash Bajans we just trying to give an hopefully objective view of Barbados and its people, and trying 'potential expats' to understand it might not all paradise here that they might be expecting

Serendipidy Dec 14th 2009 3:00 pm

I believe that humans express their frustration anger etc at watever or whom ever causes that anger. I know nuff bajan friends who complain bout things that go on in barbados and how bajan "too malicious" or lazy and rude just as i do when im in the uk about the dole scoungers and the traffic wardens rah rah rah - so dont be suprised that a foreigner might have an opinon or two on the life they lead whereever they are - its totally and utterly natural and im really fed up with being expect to play mute just cos im white whilst my black colleagues are entitled to vent their frustration - if something is inappropriate or wrong it shouldlnt matter if its a black white or green person that expresses they concern (actually i would prefer green people to only comment in emails lol)

Go live in England for a month and im tellin ya u will fone home on a regular basis just to exhale and vent - the difference is the rest of the brits will join in ya whinging cos we know when shit is shit and aint trying to dress it up under a patriotic flag - trust me change only comes about in UK by mass disapproval as the Poll Tax and the outing of Margaret Thatcher shows.

No one on here is a member of the Barbados Tourist Board(bet someone now proves me wrong lol) and are therefore not obligated to promote only the benefits of Barbados but to advise on the good the bad and the ugly

Ikon Dec 14th 2009 9:06 pm

Agree 100% with everything Serendipidy said there. Well, except the green people thing... LOL! ;)

I think there's an over-sensitivity sometimes if a 'foreigner' (even one who's living there) criticises your country. I'm the same about the UK when someone criticises certain customs or things we do there, I'll leap to its defence by instinct then realise I'm actually in agreement. It's just misplaced patriotism, I suppose.

When I apply a bit of thought to it, logic dictates that people who have newly arrived in a country are actually more likely to pinpoint the problem areas because they haven't been forced to "get used to it" over such a long period. It's just up to those of us who are relatively new in the places we live to express our point sensitively, I think!

Foxy_fromCanada Dec 15th 2009 12:26 am

Well said, Ikon (and Dips).

I made the mistake a few times of visiting the Canada forums here on BE. I felt defensive at the things people were saying about my lovely home country, but then I realized it's simply part of how we cope when trying to acclimatize to a new culture. Moving to a new country is never easy or straightforward - I've done it twice now - and you need to let out your frustrations. I also realized, on visiting the Canada forums, that the things people were complaining about there were often the things I complain about at home too - e.g. Who enjoys spending hours on hold with the cable company?!?! Doesn't matter which country you're in, it's still a pain!

I don't visit the Canada forums any longer, because I know I will feel defensive, and that is not the point of this website.