Time out in Barbados

Old Oct 1st 2009, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Time out in Barbados

Haha Patty! Yeah, some of us have a bit of banter going back & forth.

Shines, OMG I would soooo love a cat (or 2!) but landlord and Netsirk both say no Boooo to them.

And how many dogs have you now? Is that 5? I was out at a friend's last night playing with her 8 rotweiler/bullmastiff mix puppies. Gosh, they are cute at 6wks old! I'd take one if they stayed that size

Back to Patty - your original question (or one of them) was how to fill your days. Depends on your interests. I'm an active person, when I'm not breaking bones, so outside of work I do a lot of running, cycling, yoga, karate, scuba & personal training.

I think someone also mentioned the British, Canadian and American Women's clubs.

Myself, I also took the opportunity to expand a couple of my hobbies (photography and web design). My goal is to get enough learning under my belt so I can open my own business when we move back to Canada (timeline undetermined at this point but that's years away).

Good luck,
Foxy
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:48 pm
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend has good accommodation for you including car and all utilities brand new 2 bedrooms upper class area west coast.$2,500usd per month.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

P4TTY06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Neal brown..Thanks but i have now managed to get someone to sort out accommodation for me.
I am however still looking at car options tho... i have been advised that i will be hit with huge import taxes if i was to export my car to barbados..

is long term rental an option? or is it far too expensive..?

Can any one offer advice as to what they (or friends) opted to do when just staying in Barbados for a few months with regards to a car??? I understand it is a MUST have, especially with schools runs..

@ Foxy, I would love to say im a very active person but in reality im more a eater then a runner.. i may try yoga whilst there tho.. I guess The British, Canadian and American Women's clubs is a good starting point in getting more info as to what activities are available and possible learning or training opportunities to expand certain interests???.....I'll look at other posts to see if i can find more info about that.. Thank you..
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 1:30 pm
Banned

Long term rental is an option the villa comes with the car because my friend working overseas and i have full controll of the property,,what you can do is contact me because i dont want people think am putting out advertistment here i can send photos and work a good deal out for you.There are quite a few British expats in this area [email protected]
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by P4TTY06
@ Foxy, I would love to say im a very active person but in reality im more a eater then a runner.. i may try yoga whilst there tho.. I guess The British, Canadian and American Women's clubs is a good starting point in getting more info as to what activities are available and possible learning or training opportunities to expand certain interests???.....I'll look at other posts to see if i can find more info about that.. Thank you..
Haha, I understand! Food is good.

WRT yoga - there are a bunch of places that offer classes, so I'm sure you could find one once you arrive. Others on this forum have suggestions for yoga locations. The one I usually go to (when I'm not injured - seriously accident-prone) is once a week through the Fitness Zone in Hastings Plaza. They have an outside guy come in on Tuesday evenings and he is really good.

You don't have to be a member of the gym to go to the yoga classes there.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

P4TTY06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Neal, thanks again, but my accommodation is in hand. i am still requiring a car tho...

@ Foxy.... will certainly try the gym you've recommended.. how long i'll last? hmmm that'll be very interesting.. No chance of a male eye candy instructor is there... .. cheers for dat
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 8:45 am
Banned

You can buy a cheap car for about $10,000USD,Insurance can run about betweem $1,000USD to $1,400USD Road Tax $225USD anything under that price you are asking for trouble,check the Nation Barbados online go to classified section and you can find cheap stuff like accommodation,cars,furnitures and lots of other stuff and services that you can get at good prices.Thats where all the locals shop not at real estate agencies.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm starting to think Neal only posts here to advertise..... Which I understood is against the rules. Even if it isn't, it's a little irritating. He's not answering the original poster's queries at all.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:33 pm
Banned

Ikon,the tread i reply to ask about accommodation cars and school, i have tried to help with accommodation and say what i could about cars am not to familiar with the school system so i cannot comment,when a person reccommend some place is that advertising if i had said Crane Hotel,Sandy Lane,Barbados Beach Club,will that be advertising what is the difference,why is it that some people can recommend hotels and villas and guest houses and some people cant?this is one of the reason i dont get to involved because of the amount of bias people in society today::
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Well I don't think those other people stand to profit from it, and they're not 'selling' it in the same way as you. Your posts read differently to others, and speaking personally, make me roll my eyes. If I'm the only one who feels that, then fair enough.
But I doubt it.......
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice

US$10,000??? you call that a cheap car??
If you keep your eyes open you can find something old-ish and basic for around BBD$6,000 - won't be pretty but it will get you from A to B. You have to buy the Nation (newspaper) early and get on the phone straight away. If you find something i can put you in touch with a good local mechanic (south coast) who can take a look at it for you.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:12 am
Banned

Ikon am not going to discuss anything with you,seems like you are suffering from some kind of post traumatic stress & boredom,
Expat wannabe07 notice what i have said you can get a car fo $10,000usd if you dont want any problems,does anyone here ever direct people to the Nation classified?NO i dont think so, but now i have let people know where there can find cheap stuff seems like everyone is angry with me,maybe i should of said Simpson Motors,Mcanearney where some of your friends are working then everything will be fine MMMMMMMMMMM scary people
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice

Er......i have no friends at Simpsons or MacInerney, i'm talking about a local mechanic who won't even charge for taking a look at a car.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:21 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Neal.. you answered the post, but you said.. "your friend" had an accommodation.. then the next post you advised that "that friend was away and YOU had full control over the property".. sounds like you want to get a rental.. that's advertising, even if you don't put it that way.

We all recommend places.. papers, car dealers, restaurants (even the ones my friends own), but I'm not getting anything out of it.. maybe you aren't either, but that's not how it's coming across.

I'll let the mods deal with how you post things..

and yes.. in Barbados 10,000usd is cheap for a fairly good used car.. one that should not go boom 2 seconds after you take ownership. I also have a "reliable" mechanic close to me (St. George) who didn't charge me anything to look at my car.. but nuff to fix it.. and even more nuff if he has to get the parts locally..
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Regardless of my initial query regarding Neal's blatant advertising, he's now taken it upon himself to make personal and disparaging remarks against me which not only have no place in logic, they have no place on a friendly board like this.

I trust the mods will remove them IMMEDIATELY.

Perhaps someone can let me know the process for contacting mods to arrange this? Somebody should be checking the boards for such personal comments and deleting the users without me having to ask, tbh. There's just no place for such trolling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.