British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Thinking of moving to Barbados...need some help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/thinking-moving-barbados-need-some-help-709728/)

jrenee Mar 17th 2011 1:18 pm

Thinking of moving to Barbados...need some help

Hi

I'm new to the forum (my first post!), my husband and I are thinking of moving abroad we would like a better quality of life in the sun! Barbados was the first place that came to mind. At the moment it's a bit of a pipe dream not sure how we can make it a reality...that's where you guys come in (I hope!).

We currently live and work in Surrey England my husband is a teacher and I work as a youth work manager.

I guess what I would really like to know is what is the process of moving to Barbados? Roughly what sort of moving costs can we expect? and is there a specific criteria that we would need to meet to get visa's/work permits etc?

We are looking into making a trip to the island this Aug on a fact finding mission but can probably only go for 2weeks due to my work commitments. Can any one advise on affordable places to stay? We were thinking of renting an apartment is this more expensive than doing the hotel package holiday thing?

Sorry for the long post and asking so many questions but like I said I am new to the site and the idea of moving abroad!

Hope you can help

J xx:)

shines Mar 17th 2011 2:36 pm

Re: Thinking of moving to Barbados...need some help

Unless you have work permits/visa's/citizenship rights then this is not the place to move to. Visa's/work permits are very hard to come by. Very hard. The govt here is very anti immigrants unless you have means to support yourselves and will basically not be a drain on the already limited resources. Even then it is not always possible to get any status here.

The cost of living in Barbados is extremely high and the pay in teaching/youth worker is low.

I would think relocationg to somewhere in Europe may be easier and more cost effective. Barbados is a beautiful island but life here is not easy by any means.

The package holiday hotels in the South of the Island are cheaper to stay in than on the West coust, there are lots of empty condo's around tho...!

Sorry to be quite so miserable and I don't want to shatter your dreams but the reality is that for a place to holiday Barbados is wonderful, as a place to live it is very expensive. I have been here 4 yrs and whilst I would not go back to the UK and the quality of life my children have here is fabulous, the constant financial stresses are no fun.

Serendipidy Mar 17th 2011 3:26 pm

Welcome Jrennee i would suggest you read through a lot of the old posts on moving to Barbados and you will see a wealth of information on costs issues immigration schooling etc rather than rewriting everything.

I agree with Shines that Barbados is now probably one of the more difficult places to settle - it has a tiny population of under 300,000 and already has a thriving expat community who are struggling to receive status. The change in government a few years ago changed the focus from offshore income and its no longer a place that openely encourages foreigners to come reside and invest.

It is a wonderful place to visit and relax and recharge batteries but to earn money and plan a certain future its not a viable option for most any more. I could not recommend anyone to purchase assets and "settle" in a place that has the option to give you 2 weeks to leave (it happens!) - imagine how unsettling that would be with children!!!

satellite_ian Mar 17th 2011 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by jrenee (Post 9246022)
Hi

I'm new to the forum (my first post!), my husband and I are thinking of moving abroad we would like a better quality of life in the sun! Barbados was the first place that came to mind. At the moment it's a bit of a pipe dream not sure how we can make it a reality...that's where you guys come in (I hope!).

We currently live and work in Surrey England my husband is a teacher and I work as a youth work manager.

I guess what I would really like to know is what is the process of moving to Barbados? Roughly what sort of moving costs can we expect? and is there a specific criteria that we would need to meet to get visa's/work permits etc?

We are looking into making a trip to the island this Aug on a fact finding mission but can probably only go for 2weeks due to my work commitments. Can any one advise on affordable places to stay? We were thinking of renting an apartment is this more expensive than doing the hotel package holiday thing?

Sorry for the long post and asking so many questions but like I said I am new to the site and the idea of moving abroad!

Hope you can help

Hi jrennee,

I left Surry myself for Sunny Barbados only last Dec. My situation is a bit different - I am marrying a lovely Bajan woman in August.

The point of this post is simply to say I will be back in Surrey (Farnham) in early April. If this is anywhere near you maybe you would like to get together for a chat and see what information I can give you as to your ideas.

As the others have said whilst it is a lovely place getting your foot in the door isn't easy.

Ian

Dutchnick Apr 20th 2011 11:01 am

Also thinking of Barbados, We are keen divers and sailors and have been in tourism for ever. What is it like setting up a business? Tourism/restaurant/diving etc. Any good site for info?
Nick

Aduke Jun 12th 2011 1:27 am

Hi All

I discovered this forum a few weeks ago. Glad that I did. I am a single parent of a 20 month old son. I am presently looking into the possibility of setting up a Nursery/Primary School in Barbados. I would appreciate any advice on setting up a business in Barbados.

Thanks

Sunniebgi Jun 12th 2011 1:47 am

Aduke,
I am presently looking into the possibility of setting up a Nursery/Primary School in Barbados
In a word.. DON'T... sorry.. don't mean to be so harsh.. unless you have deep pockets and plan to hire someone else to run your business, or are a Born Barbadian or have Barbadian Citizenship or residency.. or have a lot of years just to wait around to be approved... don't do it.

Please read through the other posts about immigration, schooling, jobs etc..

it's not as easy as it sounds, and there are many preschools/primary schools on the island.

CC229 Jun 12th 2011 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by jrenee (Post 9246022)
Hi

Hope you can help

Hi Jrenee, I live just outside London at the moment but am a UK born Bajan national. I will also be in Barbados for a month between July and August and have a couple of 2 bedroom apartments for rent in Ocean City close to The Crane if you are interested. Any thing else I can help you with during your research of Barbados just drop me a line. Good luck. Chris

Aduke Jun 13th 2011 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 9426758)
Aduke,
I am presently looking into the possibility of setting up a Nursery/Primary School in Barbados
In a word.. DON'T... sorry.. don't mean to be so harsh.. unless you have deep pockets and plan to hire someone else to run your business, or are a Born Barbadian or have Barbadian Citizenship or residency.. or have a lot of years just to wait around to be approved... don't do it.

Please read through the other posts about immigration, schooling, jobs etc..

it's not as easy as it sounds, and there are many preschools/primary schools on the island.

Hi Sunniebgi

Thanks for your advice. I have been doing some research into the pre school education sector and have found that the government are keen to expand this area. The reports that I have read claim that there is insufficient nursery education (for 3 - 5 year olds) and the the government are keen to work in partnership with the private sector to improve provision. An Adviser from "Invest in Barbados" also confirmed this. I also found that there is a huge shortage of early childhood educators in Barbados. As a qualified Early Years Professional (with financial backing) I thought it might be a good idea to look into this.

From your experience, would you say that it is virtually impossible at the moment?

Even though I do not have Barbadian Citizenship or Residency at present, is it not possible to apply for a work permit via the entrepreneur route.

Would appreciate your views!

Thanks

Sunniebgi Jun 13th 2011 4:42 pm

Aduke,

All I'm saying is, as has been said before.. The Barbados Government wants you to come in to start a new business, but they don't HAVE to give you the work permit to run or work in it. They WILL want you to hire locals. and there are , from the people I know, many professional early childhood educators out there, who, given the right backing, jump at the chance to open. however, the next best thing is to find someone else who can and work for them.

There are also many many rules and regulations, as you can well imagine, when it comes to the building, the layout , etc..

If you have the backing (financially) to do it, then go for it. I'd recommend west coast, as there, I believe, is a lack of private nurseries on that coast (could be wrong). But again, don't expect to work there when it opens (but maybe the advisor at Invest Barbados can help in that area as well.

and the next thing is to make sure you are actually teaching and not just running a playschool. Barbadian as very educationally oriented..

Good luck and keep us posted.

janey30 Jun 20th 2011 8:09 pm

Hi all
Need some advice have been given an opportunity to move to Barbados where the job salary is 57000 us dollars. I have 2 young children aged 3 and 7 plus a husband to relocate, just wondered what other peoples expereince have been.