Teaching jobs in Barbados

Old May 10th 2010, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

wannabeabajan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching jobs in Barbados

Hi everyone, im new to this site and just looking for a bit of information. Our family are considering relocating to Barbados, we have been visitors there since 2000 and have just come back from a months stay, we are seriously missing it, so are our children so we have always said have always said that if a job came up for my husband we would consider moving. Does anyone know where we can locate some information on primary school teaching jobs in Barbados? We would like to move to the south coast, Inch Marlow area as this is where we have family know the area quite well, does anyone also know what schools are around this area?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 11th 2010, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Teaching jobs in Barbados

Wannabe, I think most on here will concur that work permits are extremely hard to come by, and for teachers even in the private primary schools likely even harder. I would also point out that a teachers salary here in Barbados, unless you have other income to support your family, probably wont be enough to cover living expenses and education for your children. Private education here for the most part is extremely affordable, therefore salaries aren't too high.

There are loads of other threads on emigrating to Barbados with similar news...
Old May 12th 2010, 3:11 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Zanne. A couple of things, however. There are a few private primary schools that have been hiring lately, however.. some will not even consider assisting with a work permit (well they might if your qualifications are through the roof), but don't expect the pay to follow suit. Some of those schools may chose to hire non Barbadians, but you do stand a chance of not having the work permit granted by the government.

As was said. if you do come, find a teaching job, get the work permit.. plan to have deep pockets, because it's not going to pay the bills.
Old May 16th 2010, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Westcoastbajan is an unknown quantity at this point

You might enquire at the Providance School. I read a couple months ago in the Barbados Advocate they were looking for more teachers.

http://www.providenceelementary.ifp3.com/

It's basicly operated by a Millioniare/Billioniare Canadian Expat, Eugene Melnyk. He opened/sponsered the school after moving to Barbados full time and wanted to provide a better education to his childern then what he felt was available.(Not saying I agree with him).

Barbados does have some of the finest public schools especially if you consider the Top 4 schools. My Sister when we moved from Barbados to the US was able to jump 3 or 4 grades and graduate high school at age 14 after they tested her and found her Math and English far superior to the US system. She went to Queens College.

I am guessing because they cater to the wealthy and Aristocrats they may pay more than the average public or private school.