Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Summer in Barbados with 6 and 12 year old

Summer in Barbados with 6 and 12 year old

Old May 23rd 2010, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

sutherngirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Summer in Barbados with 6 and 12 year old

I visited Barbados last summer and want to spend atleast 6 weeks there with my kids this summer. I am trying to find a rental and a summer camp for them. I am having such a hard time finding a summer camp. I prefer a camp at an independent school. I did find a soccer camp that was only 150 us for seven weeks and found that price to be disturbingly low.

I also want to be in a safe location that has very easy access to transportation and stores. A 1 br is great for the 3 of us as I am recently divorced and they have been sleeping in my bed for the last few months, and we live in a large townhome.

We all really need to get away for a while (atleast I do) and I want themto have a cultrually rich summer. I love Barbados and am hoping ot make this work. Any advice/info is greatly appreciated.

From Wash, DC
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Summer in Barbados with 6 and 12 year old

Sutherngirl...Barbados is a small place and *camps* as we (I say we because I am from the US) know them in the US don't really happen in Barbados. There are some sports camps, but as school ends in late June, many are via word of mouth and don't materialize early June. My son is almost 5 and he will attend what Bajans refer to as camp which is merely an extension of his after school programme which becomes all day in the summer months. The kids go on weekly tours or outings to various, although dwindling attractions. I am aware of an art camp at a great art centre called ArtSplash, you can pm me if you would like the details.In general in Barbados education, afterschool care, etc. is extremely affordable-- so don't be surprised by the prices. My son's art classes are $180.00BB/term, his karate is about $90.00BB/term.

As far as the accommodation, you can probably get short term very easily. Summer is hotter than he** so I would suggest that you get the kids their own room. When its sweltering you won't want to have them in the same bed as you!!! I can recommend a broker to that could help you find a place.

Barbados is great place to have some fun and unwind...HTH!
Old May 24th 2010, 1:05 am
Just Joined

sutherngirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Zanne! That is very helpful. Thanks for the tip aboout getting the kids their own room. That makes a lot of sense.

I will message you to find out about the prgrams you mentioned.

Also, I spent about 5 days in Barbados last summer and stayed at the Silver Pointe hotel. I felt safe riding the minibus and felt the island would be safe for me and the kids without their dad as we are no longer together. are there any areas to avoid?
Old May 24th 2010, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Safety boils down to being aware-- I am in the same boat, single with my 5yo son-- and really I don't worry about safety. You just have to keep your wits about you and remember that crime can and will happen anywhere-- paradise if that is what Barbados is-- is no different!!!
Old May 24th 2010, 11:46 am
Just Joined

bajanla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
As has been said, there is no central place that lists camps. We get some flyers via the school but it is generally only a week or so before they begin!

In the past, there have been camps for a week or two at Welshmans Gully; Yacht Club (for sailing); Tennis camp @ Rockley; Art Splash.

My kids are happy though simply playing in a pool or on the beach. If you want your kids to meet others, the beach is a great place or try to find a rental in a 'community' of condominiums where they have a shared pool. I have people very friendly here, locals & expats.

If you are not hiring a car, then you should think about being located close to a beach you like, a supermarket and on a regular bus route. There is an American Womens Club here which you might be able to join & would be a good place to meet people, I think its quite social.

Do you have a budget for a rental?

Just to cheer everyone up.....Heard on the radio while I was typing this that the Atlantic has its first system they are watching in case it develops into a tropical storm....and its only May!!

Oops, off topic, anyway, hope that helps a bit. Barbados would be a lovely place to spend the summer!