British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Spouse visa and Work permit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/spouse-visa-work-permit-890438/)

Mary Gray Jan 21st 2017 12:03 am

Spouse visa and Work permit

Hi there, hope you can help. My husband and I are possibly moving to Barbados with me getting a work permit though the proposed job. However my husband naturally wants to work too and would like to buy into or set up a small retail food business (he already has a small retail food business in the UK so is experienced). Could anyone give an idea of what the likelihood is of him getting a successful work permit to run a business and how long it might take? All the official sites seem to say that work permits don't take long but reading forums seem to imply problems or lengthy wait times (although any I can find are more than a few years old so not recent). Any guidance would be gratefully received. Thanks

Serendipidy Jan 22nd 2017 6:04 pm

Re: Spouse visa and Work permit

Hi Mary and welcome to the forum

Buying into or setting up your own business would not give any automatic right to reside. Just like the UK anyone can set up a business however what would be his legal status on the island at the time? Its a difficult one because when people apply for residency or citizenship they can be offered reside and work rights as the application goes throug. I think you would also need to focus on what visa/time scale he will actually be allowed to be on the island. Others may be able to help you re the rights of a spouse of someone holding a work permit to reside but i do know that they have no automatic right to "work" and that includes voluntary work.

When I set up my own business it was under the previous government and I had to apply for a work permit with my own company. This current government makes that kind of thing a lot more difficult. The work permit you are discussing for you will probably be with a major company that has all the process in place ..and still it can take its time to sort out.

Sorry its not clear cut advice and I hope others will come along who can add to this information as my advice might be outdated

Mary Gray Jan 22nd 2017 10:14 pm

Hi there, thanks so much for replying. My husband would be with me on a spouse visa as I will have a job which gives me a work permit. I believe from what I've been told that the spouse visa gives him the right to reside but not to work and that he would therefore need his own work permit if he wants to work too.

Sunniebgi Jan 23rd 2017 12:10 am

Mary - what you have said is correct.. he's on your visa as a spouse, but only to live here not to work.. and if found working, with out the proper documentation, could mean being delivered to the airport and put on a plane and possibly your work permit cancelled. I'm going for the Harsh factor here, but, it's always a possibility.

as Dipity has said.. the other issue with going through the motions of setting up a business and then applying for the work permit through the business, may take just as long as your possible time on the island. 3 years plus.

and please please.. don't let someone say.. Oh they will never know, just have him make a few things for people, you know.. under the table work.. . well . you can never be too certain.. don't mean to scare him off but..

quiltman Jan 23rd 2017 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 12158639)
Mary - what you have said is correct.. he's on your visa as a spouse, but only to live here not to work.. and if found working, with out the proper documentation, could mean being delivered to the airport and put on a plane and possibly your work permit cancelled. I'm going for the Harsh factor here, but, it's always a possibility.

as Dipity has said.. the other issue with going through the motions of setting up a business and then applying for the work permit through the business, may take just as long as your possible time on the island. 3 years plus.

and please please.. don't let someone say.. Oh they will never know, just have him make a few things for people, you know.. under the table work.. . well . you can never be too certain.. don't mean to scare him off but..

Not really relevant, but here in the Philippines you get a reward from the government for denouncing anyone here working on a non working visa or overstaying a visa! Only 2000 pesos but that's a weeks pay for a lot of people.We have had girlfriends report foreign boyfriends to Immigration for "upsetting" them. It's quite common for the "I'll have you deported" threat to be used as a weapon! :rofl:

Sunniebgi Jan 23rd 2017 7:29 pm

Lovely Quiltman.. not relevant in Barbados, but I can tell you there are a few "under the table" workers in Barbados that need to go.. just go..

Mary Gray Jan 23rd 2017 7:52 pm

Hi there, thanks for the comments. Slightly unnerved that anyone would think I was suggesting illegal working which is the thread this seems to have taken. Would never consider such a thing. Was really just keen to see if anyone had any live examples of anyone in a similar situation and what their timescales for work permits ended up being. Thanks all.

Sunniebgi Jan 25th 2017 1:10 am

I don't think we are suggesting that at all.. just making you aware that it does exists.. in every area of the world.

a long time friend of mine in the US (from babyhood) went to Australia years ago and worked "under the table" for months as a waitress among other jobs.. and ended up having to leave the country when she was "found out".. it happens. .

and we also know plenty of people who are here, on valid work permits and their spouses come with them and don't work.. it's also an unfortunate fact of life on this island. if he decides not to try to explore opening his own food business and getting a work permit, I hope he does enjoy his, and your, time in Barbados

Serendipidy Jan 25th 2017 2:16 pm

Hi Mary - I dont think anyone was suggesting he would I think people are pointing out that sometimes it can seem very tempting to bypass the rigmorole that is required to get a permit etc etc and its not worth it.

To be honest every case is measured on its merits - my recommendation would be for him to look into opportunities and take it from there by taking the individual opportunity in front of the immigration dept. The hassle with purely opening up a bankaccount in a business name is huge let alone the immigration compliance etc.

It goes back to the clarification that ANYONE can set up a business in Barbados so that is the answer to that question but immigration will decide whether he can work for or not and he would not know until he applies. Their attitude could be so what you have ie a chicken food outlet ..a bajan can still work there why do you need to?

Hope this explains things but if you need a 121 chat then pm me a message.

You will be met with lots of people telling you ahh he doesnt have to worry about a permit it as no one will know but thats why people are supplying a warning about that route.